If you tune in to Soundcheck via satellite radio, listen up! Effective Wednesday, May 4th, you’ll need to tune to a different channel to hear Soundcheck on the Sirius XM Public Radio channel live at 2 p.m. Eastern.
XM subscribers should turn to channel 121. Sirius subscribers with the "Best of XM" package should turn to channel 205.
For more information visit the Sirius XM site.
I encountered Milton Babbitt’s music before I ever met the man. Given the uncompromising intellectual rigor of his music (a nice way of saying that it made my brain hurt), I expected Mr. Babbitt to be some kind of monster. Instead, the first time I met him, he looked at me and determined, correctly, that I had a cold, and said, “hello, would you like some Vitamin C?” Now, I didn’t particularly believe that a Vitamin C pill would do much for me, but I took one, mostly out of relief that Babbitt hadn’t yelled at me (I’d already published some things which championed the emerging “downtown” composers who were pushing back at the academic nature of Babbitt’s music).
Music writer and British radio personality Gary Burton joins us today joins us today for a Soundcheck Smackdown on a British holiday tradition: the race for a "Christmas No. 1" on the country's pop charts. Here's a list of his top-five UK Christmas songs:
5. Kate Bush, "December Will Be Magic Again"
4. Paul McCartney, "Wonderful Christmastime"
3. Jona Lewie, "Stop The Cavalry"
2. Slade, "Merry Xmas Everybody"
1. Greg Lake, "I Believe in Father Christmas"
Music critic Sophie Harris of Time Out New York joins us today for a Soundcheck Smackdown on a British holiday tradition: the race for a "Christmas No. 1" on the country's pop charts. Here's her list of her top-five UK Christmas songs:
5. Shakin' Stevens, "Merry Christmas Everyone" / Frankie Goes to Hollywood "The Power of Love" (not strictly a Christmas song, but a memorable Christmas No. 1)
4. Jona Lewie, "Stop the Cavalry"
3. Band Aid, "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
2. Wham!, "Last Christmas"
1. John and Yoko, "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"