The Beatles Are Coming! Again!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 01:43 PM

So today is the day!  The Beatles are on i-Tunes! We’ve been noting on Soundcheck for years that their music was a gaping hole in the digital music world and now we c….

Zzzzzzzz

uh – sorry, must’ve nodded off.

Yes, the day we all knew had to come someday has come today.  And it’s hard to imagine it being more anticlimactic.  No special package deals, no unexpected add-ons – just a chance to finally pay for those Beatles songs you’ve already owned on CD or LP, or have downloaded illegally before.  Welcome, Beatles fans, to the late 20th century!

OK, OK, I sound a lot crankier about this than I really am.  It’s about time, and for anyone who doesn’t own this music, especially younger listeners, it’s great.  I’m thinking of my 15-year old daughter, a longtime Beatles fan who owns several of their albums but will probably want more; and since she never listens to music on anything larger than her own ear that pretty much means i-Tunes.  (Yes, she could buy CDs and rip them into her computer and transfer them to her iPod.  Do YOU know a teenager who would do that?)

But the Beatles held out so long, and it became such a big deal, that I guess I was hoping the Beatles entry into the digital music world, however inevitable, might somehow be a big deal too.

What do you think of the Beatles coming to iTunes?  Leave a comment.

Tags:

More in:

timothy Sinsheimer from staten island

Spread love to John

Dec. 09 2010 08:50 PM
ted in atlanta from the internets

I downloaded Beatles Past Masters for the singles last night around 11:30 pm, just to say hey I noticed (Beatles+iTunes day 1) and was really disappointed to see that there were several albums above any of the Beatles catalog, and no Beatles singles in the top downloads section. Oh well; clearly the ongoing waiting and false alarms were tiring.

Also I'm sorry to see I must have missed a visit by Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, since I just encountered what looked to be a link to a performance on WNYC. Cool!

Nov. 17 2010 02:02 PM
Mike from NJ from NJ

As a fan, I am pleased with any medium that spreads the Beatles' music into peoples lives, but I wonder if the kids are going to hold their Ipods up to the mirror to search for clues that indicate that Paul is dead.

Nov. 17 2010 10:42 AM
Phil from NJ

This is only a story because the Beatles PR operation makes it so. AC/DC has a similarly anti-MP3 stance - their music's not on iTunes, the Amazon MP3 store, or anyplace else. But nobody talks about it, 'cause they don't make a big deal about it. Also, AC/DC continue to make new albums that stack up to their old material, unlike the leftover Beatles. That's kind of a crucial difference.

Nov. 17 2010 10:35 AM
Wendy Sacks from Brooklyn, NY

John, didn't know you were ever cranky.... the only problem with this is that fossils like me, the original generation of Beatles fans, don't download stuff from iTunes either. Or maybe I should just speak for myself.
A Fossil

Nov. 17 2010 10:22 AM
Mark

One of the many innovations the Beatles brought to pop music is the concept of the album as a suite of songs to be experienced sequentially as a whole. iTunes is a singles medium.

A random thought: how are the kids going to play "Revolution 9" backwards on an iPod? ("Turn me on dead man...")

Nov. 16 2010 08:07 PM