Vanished Venues: Fillmore East

Thursday, November 18, 2010

We continue our series on "Vanished Venues" with a look back at the storied rock venue Fillmore East. Although its doors were only open for three years -- from 1968-1971 -- its stage served as the launching pad for many of the era's biggest acts, from The Allman Brothers Band to Jefferson Airplane. Joining us to tell us the short, but influential story of the Fillmore East is writer Robert Greenfield, co-author of "Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And Out."

Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And OutBill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And Out

Post your memories of the Fillmore East below!

Robert Greenfield

Maureen from Wisconsin

It's been decades since I lived in Manhattan. I remember Jimi Hendrix New Years Eve in '69. Also Simon & Garfunkel and more. I'm sick to find out it's gone. I was planning on making a film in NY and was hoping to have a shot of the theatre. I'm sure there's some stock footage but it will not be the same. Crap!

Mar. 26 2014 12:11 PM
richie noto former N Y

Yes the Fillmore East, I remember seeing Blodwyn pig who was jethro tull's first guitar player before Martin Barre joined tull. The album was called a head rings out. Front cover has a pig with earphones and a joint in his mouth.Great album. Terry Reid, was another really interesting act. that is what I loved about the fillmore east. Acts like charles loyd trio on the same bill as paul butterfield and tom rush opens the show. It seemed like for just a short time the world was moving in a great direction Like a door opening and then all of a sudden it shut tight and what were left with it what we have now. Corporate Radio not very good music being played on the radio, and Corporate venues over priced tickets and acts, its all such a shame

Jan. 08 2014 03:29 AM
richie noto former N Y

Jan. 08 2014 03:29 AM
richie noto former N Y

Jan. 08 2014 03:29 AM
richie noto former N Y

Jan. 08 2014 03:28 AM
richie noto former N Y

Jan. 08 2014 03:28 AM

some of the best nights of my life I spent at the Fillmore East. I've seen the greatest bands and the greatest performers and I don't remember ever spending more that $5. I was always in trouble because my parents wanted me home by 12:30 and I always at the 11:30 show. I was addicted to that place. Years later when they tore it down a friend of mine who was a splicer for the phone company was working on a cable failure on the corner. He went over while the demolition people were tearing it down and got me a brick from the back wall.I now have my own little piece of music history...

Sep. 18 2013 01:31 PM
Grand Wrapper from Bethel,NY

Will never ever happen again. Forget this history for just one moment and believe you were blessed if you were ever there....for anything.

Feb. 25 2013 08:36 PM
Aarfeld from Charlottesville, Va.

Mr. Greenfield said that the Fillmore held 1200. That's incorrect. The theater actually had a capacity for 2843 patrons. One can confirm this by viewing the seating plan on the web site dedicated to the former venue. It's in the artifacts section.

Oct. 09 2012 10:52 PM
Susan from Staten Island from Staten Island, New York

I must have been about 15/16 (1968/69), there was a program on TV about Janis Joplin performing at the Fillmore..I though it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. My mother happened to be in the room, she was watching and listening in utter surprise and when the comercial came on she looked at me and said "Don't ever ask me to go there". Well, needless to say the Fillmore became my life. I was there almost every weekend. I think the best concert I ever saw there was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Can you imagine being so young and being able to see such an incredible group...and the cost of the ticket was only $5.50....what a show! Thank God for Bill Graham!

May. 21 2012 11:16 AM
LB from SF (via NYC)

I was 15/16 years old . Life, drugs & live Rock & roll was very new. Virgin to everthing.

The Fillmore East experience is prolly one of my best experience(s) in life. I always went to Saturday Late Shows because of surprise guests & often longer shows. Almost always sat 5th Row center (never further back than 8th row).

Not enuff video documentation of what went down there during those few years. I'm always searching.

Memories: Black Sabeth opening for Small faces (Rod Stewart). Small Faces of that era would become my favorite live band to see. Savoy Brown. Johnny Winter And. Mountain on New Year's Eve. Procol Harum. I treasured all my ticket stubs & programs collected from the floor. I have since lost them tho...

Feb. 19 2012 02:45 AM
Paul from Soho

So many memories ... so little time ... I first noticed Fillmore East in early '69 and it was gone by '71 ... three bands (unknown, followed by semi-known, followed by well known) in quick session ... my first concert was during the sinter of 1969; a standout performance by Jethro Tull playing songs from "Benefit" and "Stand up", followed by Blood Sweat and Tears, and the very next week (as I recall) Led Zeppelin blew the roof off playing stuff from their first album as the "semi-unknown" opening band for the "well known" Iron Butterfly, a weird combo ... no one who saw or heard Johnny Winter live will forget him ... or the great Leon Russell with a band that included the still-sane Gary Busey on guitar ... acoustic Hot Tuna ... does anyone remember the Dannon yogurt served in the balcony during intermission? (how exotic!) ... and I was in the front row for Elton John's show supporting the "Tumbleweed Connection" album with a couple of song from "Madman Across the Water" (at the end of the show, he ran to the edge of the stage and shook hands with everyone who was willing to extend their hand; Elton hand was small, strong like a workman, fat stubby fingers, dripping with sweat. The music was phenomenal. The city owes a debt to Bill Graham for making all of that possible.

Feb. 02 2012 04:04 PM
Pete from Poughkeepsie

I was too young to go to the fillmore so my first shows were at the academy on 14th st. But having always been sorry i never got the fillmore experience, i figured i would at least get into the place before they tore it down. So on a sunday morning i drove in and parked on 6th street to take some pics. I looked in the alley backstage and the gate that led to the tunnel was open, and i was in. I went around back and all of the side doors were open. I went in at ground level, but it felt like i was in a basement. So i went up the fire escape to the next level. What i figured out was the first balcony was torn out and a raised dancefloor was installed for the saint. Debris was everywhere, and the only light i had was from the open doors. The upper balcony was there. It was all painted black and had a set of spiral stairs going up to it from the dancefloor. No seats up there, just concrete risers. No stage, but that old artwork around the arch was still there. The place was gutted. Kind of sad to see, but this was just the old building. The fillmore from stories told was the crowds, the bands and of course bill graham.

Dec. 28 2011 07:27 PM
candy girl from space the last frontier

Marylou, I think you got those dates wrong. You worked that job from 1970 to 71.

Dec. 13 2011 02:55 PM

I was fifteen and showed up on opening night with my recently purchased 35mm camera. From that night on, for at least thirty shows, I documented some of the best bands of my generation. Thanks for those photo passes, Kip.

Sep. 17 2011 07:11 PM
theginn from Madison, WI

Saw many legendary shows there; the 1970 Dead show with Zacherle hosting; first Joe Cocker show, Traffic, original Fleetwood Mac, Allmans, Airplane, the original Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart, on and on. Does anyone remember Salvatore Dali in the audience at an Airplane concert? I was at the Dead\Allmans\Love show that let out the next morning. Paul Butterfield Band also got us after daybreak the next morning. Man, did they do some great shows there.

Jul. 19 2011 04:57 PM
Petert from Seattle, WA

Between '69 and '71, I saw about 17 shows there, as well as a couple of the Monday night 'new band' shows (bands like Catfish and Dreams), and I remember them all.

There was nothing like the Fillmore, period. The sound system was wonderful, the lights were spec-TAC-ular, and the people who worked there were fantastic. I remember the concessions stand on the landing between the orchestra level and the 1st balcony, and the free posters that were there for the taking during the last several weeks of concerts. I still have mine. Sat way up in the 2nd balcony for Zappa/Mothers in May of '71, and took a piece of the wallpaper as a momento, as well.

The Fillmore, Allison Steele, WNEW-FM, and the Schaefer Concerts in Central Park made New York such an INCREDIBLE place for rock music from '68-'71. Growing up inside that environment had a profound effect on my life.

PS: If you want an incredible flashback, please check out Amalie Rothschild's book of photographs from the Fillmore. The photos are incredible, and will take you right back in time.

Jul. 14 2011 07:08 PM
John from Tampa, Florida

Saw The Who do Tommy there.
It was the most fantastic concert I ever attended during my college days and since.

Couldn't hear when we got outside but it was great!!

Jun. 24 2011 03:15 PM
"sweet baby james"brazel from fort walton beach ,florida

nov 13,1970,i arrived in n.y.c.,drove in with my mom(on her way to romania via charter group flight),all the way from fort walton beach ,florida in my 68'vw squareback.
nov 14,1970,after seeing my mom off ,idrove back into manhattan,found 2nd ave ,followed it downtown marveling at the sights,when i came upon my fated nexus,THE FILMORE EAST. as traffic crawled by i read "Mothers of Invention;Sha Na Na;J F Murphry and the Free flowing Salt."my favorite band headlining. i found a parking space,locked the doors,then made my way to the barricades in front on the street.i took in all the sights ,sounds and vibes,watched for any moment that could lead me to my life direction,when "un claimed reserved tickets " were offered.the sign,at last my fate was sealed.after the show i waited for the crowd to leave and marvel 2 :Bowser from Sha Na Na walked up the aisle toward me ,i greeted him gave him a drink of my wine and walked with him to the foyer said thanks we see each other again ,and we did( i would go backstage and the guys and i would sing the 50's and 60's songs when they preformed where i was working as security).
i came to work on the infamous "outside crew" until the closing ,saw many great shows met many famous people and found a career in entertainment and life.

Apr. 08 2011 11:33 AM
Jim K. from Los Angeles, CA

My fondest memory is waiting in line one cold winter night to see the Johnny Winter band and running into Jim Carrol, the poet, sing and songwriter, who I attended high school with in the mid-sixties. Jim seemed to know everybody and we shared a joint before he took off to greet someone else.

Apr. 03 2011 12:53 AM
ZB from Avett Brothers Brooklyn

My favorite memory of the Fillmore was a Traffic concert I attended with my brother Alan and our best friend Scott. We had center seats up close. The house lights went out. An old fashioned traffic light was lowered right over our heads. The traffic light went from red to yellow to green. As soon as that traffic light went to green there was Winwood, Capaldi and I'm not sure about the 3rd member(Woods or Mason) were bathed in red, yellow and green spots. I think they started off with "Empty Pages" but I know I heard John Barleycorn. It was a night I'll never hopefully forget.

Feb. 12 2011 09:37 PM
RickJava from New Jersey

I started going to Fillmore East at age 13. Derek & the Dominoes, Seals & Crofts, Wilbur Harrison, Quicksilver, Van Morrison, Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton, Brinsley Schwarzt, Jethro Tull, John Sebastian, Humble Pie, Ten Years After, Buddy Miles,Steppenwof, Hot Tuna, Taj Mahal, Jefferson Airplane, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, New Riders, J. Geils, Leon Russell, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Sir Lord Baltimore, Black Sabbath, Buddy Guy & Jr. Wells, Santana, Fleetwood Mac, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Tower of Power, Eric Burdon & War, Cactus, Donny Hathaway, Lee Michaels, Albert King, Elvin Bishop, Genya Ravan, Luther Alison - those are only the shows I remember attending! Yeah, it was the best place ever!!!

Jan. 19 2011 04:27 PM
Stu from Long Island (then)

I remember going to a concert at Fillmore East to see The Blues Project. The warm-up band was Santana. No one had ever heard of them, but they were FANTASTIC. (The Blues project was so-so.)

Jan. 17 2011 07:39 AM
manny from Lower East Side NYC

Went just about every weekend the last two years they were open. Saw so many amazing acts. My favorite shows featured Santana, Poco, Humble Pie and Savoy Brown. Incredible sound system and terrific brownies at the snack bar.

Dec. 30 2010 04:45 PM
Mike from NY

Among others, I was at the very last closing concert with The Allman Brothers and J. Geils. The place was pure magic, genuine, authentic and honest. I still have the poster distributed at the end. Way cool.

Dec. 22 2010 08:45 AM
Marc L. Rubinstein from Gray, ME

We took over as house light show after Joshua left to go into television. It was a magical space, to attend and to work. The people, the atmosphere were amazing...as were the audiences. As exciting as it was to work there, I think my absolute best memories are of shows I saw there and did not work.

Dec. 08 2010 08:38 AM
geoff maycrink

ok you freaks, I saw a short cartoon at the Fillmore and it was in black and white about the sunshine people. do you recall the name of the cartoon?Can I get a copy somewhere? Mott the Hoople was probably the best show I saw at the fillmore.

Dec. 03 2010 10:31 PM
STEVE B from NYC

FILLMORE EAST. Great memories. I still have a few Fillmore East Programs books. First show my friends and I went to - The Doors (2nd week the Fillmore was open). Sat approx 10 rows from the stage. Wow. Seen around 30 shows over the three year run. Wish I had gone to more. Sat first row for Buddy Miles Express/Savoy Brown/Grateful Dead. Was at the 'Welcome to the Fillmore East' PBS taping. What a show.

Delaney & Bonnie /wClapton/Derek and the Dominos/Spirit/Iron Butterfly/Airplane/CSN&Y/Procol Harum/Tull.

I had friends who worked at Vanguard Records so I got to see a few shows for free. So many great artists.

Seems like only yesterday that I saw these shows. What a great time to be around.

Nov. 27 2010 11:00 PM
PE from H-on-H

I wanted to confirm Bill's recollection about the Anderson Theater, which I think was originally an old Yiddish theater, as were most of the venues down on 2nd Avenue. As a high school feshman I went to what I think was the very first show there, and possibly the first show if its kind in NYC - a bill that was completely indicative of those eclectic times - Procol Harum, Moby Grape and (I think) Bagatelle - a soul band.
Many concerts at the Fillmore followed that introductory experience...

Nov. 24 2010 10:38 AM
Ben from Queens from NC

Saw the Allmans when they were the opening act at Fillmore! Blew me away and the rest is history. Also saw Johnny Winter as an opening act and many others. That is how you made it in music in those days-not with a video and MTV, etc. You showed up and WOWED them!

Nov. 22 2010 02:06 PM
Kip Cohen

Thanks, Mary Lou. It seemed ridiculous to me to sound that 'well informed' and describe the seating capacity at 1,200. I miss you!

Nov. 21 2010 12:50 AM
Gabriele from NJ

Thank you for bringing back a flood of wonderful memories. My boyfriend, Tony, worked at the Fillmore and I was truly fortunate to be able to see so many shows - often from the sound or light booths. It was a family back stage and we often went to Sammy's or Chinatown after shows. I remember places like McSorley's - I was asked to leave because it did not serve women at the time - and Gem Spa - best egg creams ever! The music was incredible; the experience unforgettable. I'm grateful to have been there.

Nov. 19 2010 10:39 PM
Marylou from Manhattan

I was Bill's Exec Secretary at the FE late '69 to closing, and Robt Greenfield is mistaken about the seating. He said approximately 1200, but no: the number was 2654.

Nov. 19 2010 12:04 AM
Marylou from Manhattan

Nov. 19 2010 12:02 AM
Cynthia from Manhattan, still

Yeah, me again. The sad part is how I don't even dream of taking my kid to a concert. However, we did get comped to see (Mr. Leonard Cohen at Radio City. Thanks RK!!!) I was 13 when I started going to the FE. And poor. Kids today don't stand a chance. Closest thing 99% of them will get to a live concert is iTunes. I guess we have the corporations to thank for that (too.)

Nov. 18 2010 11:08 PM
Bill Greenfield from NYC

Hi John, my brother was an usher at the Fillmore East, and I was there many many times, but Rob't Greenfield is wrong on one count -- the Fillmore wasn't first; a few weeks earlier The Anderson theater opened 2 blocks south of the FE on 2nd ave. I saw Pearls Before Swine, the Electric Flag, and Country Joe and the Fish (one show!) there a few weeks before the FE opened. 1st show I saw at the FE was Tom Rush, Charles Lloyd and the Butterfield Blues Band. Last show I saw there was the all night closing night party. The Who & Chuck Berry show stands out in my memory. But you know what? The theater was originally the Loew's Commodore, and when I was about 12 and lived in that neighborhood, one Saturday morning on that same stage I saw, live, ... The Three Stooges!!!! No joke. --Bill Greenfield

Nov. 18 2010 10:59 PM
Bill Greenfield from NYC

Nov. 18 2010 10:57 PM
cynthia from Manhattan

Never mind if you lit a joint you'd never see it again, but that was okay because somebody was handing you another from the othe direction. I believe it was a right to left etiquette. To excited to be articulated articulate even.

Nov. 18 2010 10:57 PM
Steve from New Jersey

I'm only 26, but growing up, I listened to 60s music exclusively, and just wished I could have been there. When I was 16 and first heard The Allman Brothers Live at The Filmore East as well as Ladies and Gentlemen...The Grateful Dead, my life was never the same. I've been fascinated with the Fillmore East ever since, and hearing my father and uncle talk about going their as 19 year olds all the time, I just can't help but pine for a time that I wish I had been around for.
Thank you for doing this and honoring this amazing place and time.

Nov. 18 2010 10:54 PM
cynthia from Manhattan

How about sitting in th St Marks free clinic when the Led Zeppelin band came in all distressed because one of them had stomach cramps--they were supposed to be about to perform at the Fillmore East.

Or getting turned on to Rennaisance when they opened for the Kinks.

AND WHAT ABOUT THOSE SPECIAL EFFECTS!!! WHere are those colored oil guys?

Nov. 18 2010 10:52 PM
cynthia from Manhattan

Nov. 18 2010 10:50 PM
Starr

I remember seeing the Grateful Dead there and the Riders in the Sky---playing until dawn! First time I ever saw the Dead. Also Frank Zappa---and then left for the March on Washington...Good times!!!

Nov. 18 2010 10:13 PM
Tony from Brooklyn

It wasn't the Allman Bros. who played until a snow-covered dawn, it was the Dead. The Allmans were one of the openers, along with Love. Driving back to the Island was a trip!

Nov. 18 2010 10:12 PM
Binnie

John,
I listen to your show driving home from work everyday and love it. I learn so much from it.
But today's show about the Filmore brought back so many memories.
I saw Chicago, CSNY, Allman Bros, James Taylor, and the Who doing Tommy.
It was GREAT times then.

Nov. 18 2010 08:00 PM
a g from nj

first heavy duty rock concert i ever saw,BTO ,in the wee-70's. i would have liked to have said CREAM or HENDRIX,but alas, an honest man cannot fib,though he can be redundant. filmore east,was that place.

Nov. 18 2010 06:53 PM
Tommy B from upper west side

Ceedee - the Beacon is the closest to the Fillmore of any venue around today. It hurts me that Irving Plaza took the Fillmore name; there is no similarity.

Nov. 18 2010 03:59 PM
Debbi from NJ (originally Bklyn)

Great show about the Fillmore East. I do have some great memories (most need a little prodding), but the Fillmore shaped the person I grew up to be.
I wish my kids could know what it was like. Actually, I take that back, as there were many of those early Sun. a.m. with mom waiting up with the Look on her face.
Thanks for the show

Nov. 18 2010 03:07 PM
kc

I saw the Incredible string band there 3 por 4 times; I saw Hendrix and Big Brother. We were blown away by Hendrix and the string band. amazing peace.

Nov. 18 2010 03:01 PM
Michael Richman from bronx

I saw Timothy Leary's LSD presentation at the Filmore

Nov. 18 2010 02:58 PM
Peter Licursi from nyc

What about Gentle Giant, Tangerine Dream,
Yes, JethroTull,etc...
Prog rock had it's place there as well!

Nov. 18 2010 02:58 PM
Vinny_G from The Upper West Side of NYC

Not only were the shows in the East Village great, quite often they would truck the Saturday night show up to Central Park's Naumburg Bandshell at 72nd street for a free concert in the park...

Nov. 18 2010 02:56 PM
ceedee from mt.vernon..ny

although I was a little too"soul-struck" at the time to have spent any time at the Fillmore(MSG was my concert 'hall' of preference),I'll always regret having 'abstained'. I saw Jimi,Sly,Rare Earth and the like,but at different venues. The East village was a real dump at the time-yeah,it's true-and that unfortunately,also kept me on 'the other side of town'. Question-does the Beacon (as a venue)approach some of what might be possible in today's musical/economic climate? Are places like the Fillmore ONLY a thing of the past or still possible,given the location(Irving Plaza)?

Nov. 18 2010 02:56 PM
Rich from NJ

big thanks for asking the question... perhaps it was the wrong venue. just remembered the other half of the story the 6man jam opened for Vanilla Fudge apparently V-fudge broke up shortly after and Bogart and Appice joined Jeff Beck to form Beck Bogart Appice...

Nov. 18 2010 02:55 PM
Gary from the Village

I have the program for Led Zeppelin opening up for, what's that band again? Oh yeah, Iron Butterfly.

How much do you suppose it's worth?

Nov. 18 2010 02:49 PM
Allison from new york

What about Frank Zappa & Mothers June 1971!????! I'm only 19 so I was not yet alive but it is my favorite LP of ALL TIME!

Nov. 18 2010 02:48 PM
stefanie Weiss from west village

I wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Fillmore East. I was conceived on the night my parents saw the Grateful Dead there.

Nov. 18 2010 02:47 PM
Tommy B from upper west side

Some more - Jimi and Band of Gypseys New Years Day. Jethro Tull, BBKing many times, The crazy world of Arthur Brown - Fire.

Nov. 18 2010 02:47 PM
EVC from B'Klyn

The greatest concert I ever saw was the Who at the Fillmore East on the weekend Martin Luther King was assassinated. The late show was cancelled and so they put everthing into it. They closed with A Quick One which ends with a long refrain on the phrase 'you are forgiven' which was incredibly profound and disturbing in light of Dr King.

Nov. 18 2010 02:46 PM
Celia from the east village from NYC

I will NEVER forget the double thrill of being at the Fillmore to see Joe Cocker on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and hearing "Space Captain" for the very first time...then hearing the live recording from that night playing on the radio the next day.
What a thrilling and awesome concert...and I was there!

Nov. 18 2010 02:42 PM
Tommy B from upper west side

My first rock concert was the Who at Fillmore June '68. My ears were ringing for days. I was 11 years old. Feb.13, 1970 went to see the Grateful Dead; The Allman Brothers Band was the opening act, then Love, then the Dead. I have a framed poster from the last weeks of the Fillmore. I stayed up all night taping the last show over the radio. Unfortunately I lost the reel to reel tape. Many more memeories.

Nov. 18 2010 02:42 PM
Gus Rech

I saw the Miles Davis/ Neil young show. As I recall it Steve Miller was alos on the bill. My favorite wierd lineup was Woody Herman' big band opening for Led Zepplin, 1969 I think...

Nov. 18 2010 02:38 PM
Rich from NJ

i have a guilty pleasure where i go to wolfgang's vault an listen to these shows... these were great shows.. the sound! and bill graham always brought the best talent in those doors... represents the amazing music during that period... wish i was alive to experience it. Please make mention of the mythical/legendary 6-man jam which i believe included j page, j beck,k moon ... this guy i used to talk to at the Naked Lunch soho said he was there.. did it really happen?

Nov. 18 2010 02:38 PM
Richard from new york

best show! BB King, Albert King and Edgar Winter. late show played to 7:30 in the morning, my mother was waiting at the door when i got home

Nov. 18 2010 02:37 PM