Trent Reznor Scores an Oscar

Monday, February 28, 2011

Composers Atticus Ross (R) and Trent Reznor, winners of the award for Best Original Score for 'The Social Network' accept their award on stage at the 83rd Annual Academy Awards Atticus Ross (R) and Trent Reznor, winners of the Oscar for Best Original Score (Gabriel Bouys/AFP)

At last night's Academy Award ceremony, Trent Reznor, along with Atticus Ross, took home the prize for Best Original Score. We talk with New York Times pop critic Jon Pareles about what the win means for the Nine Inch Nails frontman.

Jon Pareles

a g from n j

just sayin', has great colloquial appropriateness, when used sparingly and judiciously. the bard,yeah, that guy, used the language of "common", everyday folk, as well. who the hell, wants so speak, in closed little, hermetically sealed grammatical "perfects" anyway ? just sayin'.......

Feb. 28 2011 11:45 PM
Dubya from SoHo

And we hate people who come into these discussions and offers nothing constructive.

Feb. 28 2011 03:04 PM
art525 from Park Slope

Boy I hate that expression-"just sayin'"! It has replaced that other awful innane expression `'That's what I'm talkin' about". Mindless. I'm just sayin'.

Feb. 28 2011 02:57 PM
Dark Symbolist from NYC!

To the uninformed guest-

1- No need to be defensive about your teen crush. I am agreeing that Reznor will be well suited for film composition; it just doesn't surprise me that he has moved into that genre in the least (my disagreement is more with the intro of the show with reznor as this paradigm of counterculture....)

2- If you think Skinny Puppy doesn't like tunes or melody then you need to go back and listen...they also have bombast as well as melody.

oh and Trent Reznor has often cited them as an influence by the way....just sayin'...

Feb. 28 2011 02:37 PM
Mike from Tribeca

Haven't heard such giggly sucking up since the heyday of Tiger Beat.

Feb. 28 2011 02:32 PM
Dubya from SoHo

To continue, I have to disagree with guest that it's standard bombast. Is the guest aware of how Hans developed the score? There is a concept to it.

I don't feel the soundtrack was "innovative". My opinion is you could put the soundtrack to countless movies whereas Hans's work feels isolated to the film.

As much of a NIN fan I am/was since my days of angst, the Inception soundtrack is so incredibly complex. Your guest should listen to it for it's merit, and not as a fan as he has with the SN Soundtrack.

Feb. 28 2011 02:32 PM
Merez from NY, NY

I was definitely NOT a fan of the Trent Reznor score. While it did have moments of brilliance, I found it intrusive and obnoxious...especially in the initial moments of the movie. Those first moments of noise and distraction turned me off the music of The Social Network entirely.

It might have been innovative but if it detracts in anyway from the storytelling the score is not doing its job.

Feb. 28 2011 02:24 PM
Lisa from new york, ny

I've been a fan of Trent Reznor for as long as I can remember. Even as a "NIN-head," I felt that heavy electronica composers were the best match for movie scoring in the late 20th century. Enough John Williams, already! I was very pleasantly surprised to see Mr. Reznor cleaned up and accepting his Academy Award. Congratulations to him!

Feb. 28 2011 02:24 PM
Emily from Brooklyn

Pretty Hate Machine came out in 1989?! God, I feel old.

Feb. 28 2011 02:22 PM
Carla B. from Greenpoint

Reznor is a talented producer, but his lyrics were always weak and adolescent. I think he's better suited to movie scores.

Feb. 28 2011 02:20 PM
ceebee from brooklyn

@Dubya

That Hans Zimmer soundtrack was SO heavy handed. Beautiful, yes, but also quite distracting and manipulative in not always the best ways.

Feb. 28 2011 02:19 PM
TC

Rez rocks. He was, is, and will be amazing forever.

Feb. 28 2011 02:18 PM
Paul

Trent Reznor has also been involved in scoring video games, most notable the original Quake from id Software, so I don't see this as a major shift for him.

Feb. 28 2011 02:16 PM
ceebee from brooklyn

I've always found Reznor's work to be very complex in terms of composition. Plus, he's had a history working with movies (Natural Born Killers, Seven and Lost Highway). Soundtrack work makes sense as a new direction for him and it's nice that he's had so much success with it.

Feb. 28 2011 02:14 PM
Dubya from SoHo

Just as an FYI, the Main Theme that is constantly played and credited to Reznor was actually composed by Atticus Ross. It's very similar to Ross's last score, The Book of Eli, which was equally beautiful.

However, the award should have gone to Hans Zimmer.

Feb. 28 2011 02:13 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Wow...as a longtime Industrial/Goth fan from back in the day, for me and the people I knew...Nine Inch Nails was ALWAYS seen as a hybrid of the industrial genre with more popular music at best and was always seen as more mainstream than mainstays of the scene like Skinny Puppy.

Not to knock him, I like some of his music but he was never really seen by fans of the genre I knew as really part of the counter-culture...he was always more commercial...

Feb. 28 2011 02:11 PM