Year To Remember: 1970

Monday, June 06, 2011

1970: It was a pivotal year, at times turbulent -- and it gave us some of the most enduring moments in music history. We kick off our week-long series "Year to Remember" with David Browne, author of the new book “Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor and CSNY and the Lost Story of 1970.”

David Browne

ted

fall of 69 let it bleed abby road first stills and nash and the tops elephant mt youngbloods

Jun. 06 2011 09:58 PM
Mark from New Jersey

I was 19 in 1970 and, unlike the generational differences the author describes, my friends and I were listening to these 4 AND The Who, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Traffic, The Byrds, Blind Faith, Elton John, etc.

Jun. 06 2011 07:36 PM
Larry Perlstein from Westport, CT

1970 was a seminal music year in my life -- forgive the pun since I did turn 13 that year. I laud you on your four picks - I've worn out multiple copies of all those albums over there year. But there's not doubt that 1970 is oft-overlooked and I agree with David's premise. My abbreviated list of what else should be highly regarded includes:
American Woman
Chicago
Moondance
Workingman's Dead
John Barleycorn Must Die
Close to You
Layla
Tea for the Tillerman
All Thing Must Pass

Jun. 06 2011 03:54 PM
s

so many crying songs in 1970.

Jun. 06 2011 02:38 PM
Jon from Manhattan

After the Gold Rush
Cosmo's Factory
Moondance
Led Zeppelin III
Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
The Man Who Sold the World
Elton John
Morrison Hotel

I could go on but not a bad year.

Jun. 06 2011 02:38 PM
Michael P Gaughan from Brooklyn

This segment for me links with "what were you listening to at 14" because I was 14 in 1970 and listened to CSNY, James Taylor et al. and I remembered some of the rural references both musically and lyrically were part of my path to bluegrass and old timey music which are part of my presentmusical taste.

Jun. 06 2011 02:36 PM
Maude

Just saw "women art revolution" film last night by Lynn Hirshman Leeson
chronicling feminist art...mostly 60s-70s.
I was struck by the infighting between people fighting to break down barriers. I know this happens with everyone getting together to fight--the infighting. but i wonder if during this point in history in particular people fighting against the establishment just could not get along.
film website
only til tuesday!

Jun. 06 2011 02:31 PM
B from NJ

to those of us of a 'certain age', 1955 was a sea change - I went on a summer trip to Europe after listening to the likes of Sinatra, Eddie Fisher and Perry Como and returned to "Shaboom Shaboom" and Elvis!!!

Personally, besides the great American Songbook years, I like the 80s too - it's my childrens' era, but who cares? LOL

Jun. 06 2011 02:27 PM
a g from n j

he's not writing an encyclopedia folks. he does not have to cover everything that was on the radio in 1970 for goodness sake !

Jun. 06 2011 02:25 PM

@ a g from n j

You're right but it makes for boring one sided listening, even though I listened to the artists being talked about.

Jun. 06 2011 02:25 PM
a g from n j

soupygirl- i hear ya' but i don't think the author is obligated to talk about those great folk you mentioned,just because they were also around at that time. speaking as an "ethnic person", for want of a better term, i think the author has no obligation to indulge your music, and or my music.

Jun. 06 2011 02:21 PM
anonyme

How about Laura Nyro?

Jun. 06 2011 02:20 PM

And how in any way are these guys the "lost story" of the 70's? They're not lost , these artists are still raking in a pretty penny with their reunion concerts and such.

Why are these music segments getting so "Good Morning America" ish?

Jun. 06 2011 02:18 PM

Oh yeah what about Brian Eno and his ilk?.

Oh right you guys are only going to cover the "Puddin' Pop" music.

Jun. 06 2011 02:15 PM
a g from n j

.......and what a wonderful, beautiful, and soothing song........fire & rain...

Jun. 06 2011 02:14 PM

Please don't let me believe that you're going to miss a whole genre of music that is part of my memory lane. i.e: Sly and the Family Stone, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Jimmy Hendrix...

I think you get the idea.

Jun. 06 2011 02:13 PM
don from Brooklyn

C'moh guys...1970 DESERVES to be "forgotten"! The singer-songwriter blitz turned music in MUSH and Crosby,Stills & Nash massacred the idea of "harmony"-no wonder Neil couldn't stick all the time!!

Jun. 06 2011 02:11 PM
Siouxie from Bronx

To borrow from Bob Hope, thanks for the memories.

Today I look back on all these musical memories from the 70s w/ fondness and melancholy.

Jun. 06 2011 01:57 PM
a g from n j

re:1970- i'd like to think that this was much more the mid-point of the sixties. as there is a school of thought, that marks the sixties from '65 to '75.

Jun. 06 2011 01:13 PM