'Measuring Time' Preview

Friday, September 09, 2011

This summer, WNYC and WQXR began asking listeners and guests, “What music would you like to hear as you think about the events of 10 years ago?” The result was a diverse and thought-provoking playlist. Before he hosts this weekend’s “Measuring Time” special (Sunday starting at noon on 93.9 FM) Soundcheck's very own John Schaefer previews some of the music suggestions. Plus: We'll hear what some of our recent guests, like singer-songwriter Billy Bragg, actor John Turturro, composer Ralph Farris, and conductor Leon Botstein picked as their “Measuring Time” picks.

peter from 11232

i've been at myself for the last week to recommend a song for this series. hope i didn't miss the boat.

for me theres only one song that captures the emotional complexity of that moment.

"bright tomorrow" by lil fighters

you've never heard of this band but i hope you all track it down and give it a listen.

Sep. 10 2011 08:31 PM
ted in atlanta

Man On Wire, what an amazing movie on several levels.

Listening to Science Friday and thinking about other events, I was interested to know a few works that would equate to "The Rising" or very iconic music, that dealt with Hiroshima, the 1906 California quake, and other 20th century events that took a huge human toll. Just wondering what other cultures/times would choose for such occasions of remembrance and healing, or what themes based on each societal take would have been embraced.

Sep. 09 2011 03:31 PM
Michael from Brooklyn

I didn't think that "The Lark Ascending" was the least bit surprising since it features so prominently in the soundtrack of Man on Wire.

Sep. 09 2011 02:18 PM
eugene chan from Queens

If it's not too late...

Laura Nyro's Tendaberry

It is a ode to New York and its people. The last verse is especially poignant.

New York Tendaberry

Sincerely,
Eugene

Sep. 09 2011 02:18 PM
eugene chan from Queens

If it's not too late...

Laura Nyro's Tendaberry

It is a ode to New York and its people. The last verse is especially poignant.

New York Tendaberry

Joined for life

Through silver tears

Sincerely,
Eugene

Sep. 09 2011 02:18 PM
Frank A.

I'd include Ruben Blades's version of "Danny Boy" from his "Mundo" cd. It begins with a female voice singing the familiar "Danny Boy", bag pipes in background - then segues into rhythmic Afro Latino percussion and Blades's voice. The piece is a lament that bridges cultures impacted by the events of 9/11.

Sep. 09 2011 02:08 PM
Paul Hickey from Augusta, GA

You should listen to "The Wall / Remember Me" by the Jeremy Graham Band. It is the official song of the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance / Tribute Walk, which is a memorial at Coney Island dedicated to the First Responders who were lost on 9/11.

Sep. 09 2011 11:09 AM
Stephen Perrotta from Bloomfield, NJ

If you are still accepting suggestions for music to be played on 9/11, please consider "We Can Be Kind" by Nancy LaMott.

The message: Love will conquer hate. Simple and pure, like the singer's voice.

Thank you for undertaking this terrific project.

-Stephen Perrotta

Sep. 07 2011 04:39 PM
Penne from Bronx

I'd like to add two suggestions, if it's not too late.

One, is a composition by Ennio Morricone It's the 'Gabriel's Oboe' piece from the soundtrack of movie, "The Mission" (starring Robert DeNiro & Jeremy Irons).

The other is from the soundtrack of the Harrison Ford movie "Witness." It's called "Building the Barn" by Maurice Jarre.

Could you please provide the complete list of suggestions, since it's unlikely all will be played? Thanks.

Sep. 07 2011 12:32 PM
Melissa G. from Montclair, NJ

Please, please play Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" from the album The Bends.

Growing up in suburban NJ, our high school "makeout point" literally overlooked the NYC skyline. We would cut class, drink beer, look out over those towers, and listen to this song. Such innocence!

Sep. 07 2011 12:46 AM
Elizabeth Mocarski

Is it too late to make a suggestion? If not I would like to hear Epinicion.

Sep. 06 2011 10:55 AM
Thomas Anderson from Brooklyn

You must play John Sprung's song "Remember Me". The Lyrics are incredible and touches me everytime I hear it. I'm fortunate enough to have his CD. Thanks, Tom Anderson

Sep. 05 2011 10:42 PM