Rolling Stones Rivalry: The Case for Mick

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Even loyal Stones fans aren’t afraid to side with one Glimmer Twin over the other: you’re either a Mick Jagger fan, or you're a Keith Richards fan. Recently, the pendulum seems to have swung to Richards, who earned heaps of cool points with his recent autobiography “Life.” But music writer Marc Spitz swims against the cultural current in his new book “Jagger: Rebel, Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue.” Spitz talks about why Jagger is more than just the brains behind the Rolling Stones.

Is Mick having a moment? Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera's hit "Moves Like Jagger" is currently at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Marc Spitz

eleni papageorge from NYC

I think it's amazing how resilient the band was through the decades. I think each has much to offer. I'm still waiting for Charlie Watts to get his day in the sun.

Sep. 21 2011 10:24 PM
barent

just playing an instrument, is going to give one an advantage....no matter what,keith has a bit of a head start because of this.

Sep. 21 2011 05:16 PM
Dave in NYC from NYC

Yes to Ed from S.I. The contributions of Mick Taylor and Ry Cooder (who they tried to screw financially), have been ignored. They were great in '69 and '72. I saw them in '75, and even Pete Fornatale of WNEW-FM couldn't excuse the performances that year.

Let it go already.

Sep. 21 2011 02:42 PM
Dave in NYC from NYC

All that was a long time ago. I still subscribe to the words of Chris Guest and Tony Hendra of The National Lampoon (Radio Dinner, 1972?): "And Mick Jagger, I think that Mick's a joke with all his stupid, faggot dancing/ I always did/ wigglin' his ass, you know it's just a lot of b***s**t..."
Essentially, genius is pain. Exile was their best album and their best work, perhaps it arose from the pain of being exiled from their own country. If The Beatles produced better music and poetry it is probably because of the pain of growing up in an impoverished, post-WWII Liverpool and Lennon's own personal family pain. What pain did the Stones ever have? Jagger went to the London School of Economics, for God's sake!

Sep. 21 2011 02:38 PM
philip

Did Mick went to the London School of Economics?? So he is no your usual rock Star

Sep. 21 2011 02:34 PM
Antonio from Mexico City

Totally agree and here's why I also talked about the monstrous Stones corporation. Where Mick has been integral too keep an industry and record breaking tours, where Keith is perceived as the more music oriented.

Sep. 21 2011 02:32 PM
Dustin from New York

I think a case can be made that there is a general feeling of malaise about old rockers in general fueled by some modern, strange pious dada that fans have turned to.
Mick is a great musician, and deserves a lot of credit. Even in Cocksucker Blues, he plays a mean piano.

Sep. 21 2011 02:23 PM
Ed from S I

I think it's Mick Taylor and Jimmy Miller who have been treated unfairly. Can your guest address their contributions during the Stones golden age.

Sep. 21 2011 02:22 PM
Mike E. Flood from Rockaway NYC

If you make it to your seventys your not a rebel.
Anyway way old timey front men had to be pretty and be able to sing, who cares of he's a diva.

Sep. 21 2011 02:19 PM
Orla from Manhattan

How can anyone consider cool a 'man' who aged @ 60 still engages in name calling and **** comparisons?

Sep. 21 2011 02:16 PM
Frank Grimaldi from East Village

I liked Keith Richards Book - I thought there were parts that were really funny. But there were many parts where he just sounded like ...an alcoholic & drug addict. The one thing that I will give him is that he did say that Mick kept things together while he was doing herion.

Sep. 21 2011 02:15 PM
Siouxie from Bronx

Hey, I'm a life-long fan, and today I think they both SUCK.

It's all about the $$$ for them. And I found Keith Richard quite rude to Terry Gross in recent interview.

P.S.: Running around on stage like an idiot is not cool if you're over 60. Sorry, Mick.

Sep. 21 2011 02:09 PM
Isaac from prospect heights

Think Keith said it best about a dozen years ago in Mojo when Keith sated: " "mick thinks he is black, i am black." Feel like that statement chalks up the entire experience of pop-stars pillaging traditional forms.

Sep. 21 2011 01:59 PM
Antonio from Mexico City

Mick is the best combination of looks and brains. He created the monstrous Stone corporation for better or worse. Nobody sings like him. Keith is still the gut and soul of the Stones. They're the perfect ying and yang of rock n' roll.

And together they're better than many many many other bands.

Sep. 21 2011 01:48 PM
Eric GG from Brooklyn, Yo!

Any chance anyone read this in Slate? It's meant to be Mick's response to Keith's autobiography, and -- if authentic -- includes some interesting insights:

Sep. 21 2011 01:07 PM
Jerry from Queens

Growing up as a young kid in the 60s you had a choice, Stones or Beatles. It was an easy choice as the Stones just did more to get me pumped. Keith isnt the greatest giutarist, Mick isnt the greatest singer, together they are the greatest duo of all time in the rock era. Cant wait to read to book !!!

Sep. 21 2011 12:22 PM
Eleanor from usa

The Mick has been my idol for years and years -- I am so looking forward to the book ! Long Live The Stones!

Sep. 20 2011 09:54 PM