In Studio: Akua Naru

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Akua Naru grew up in New Haven, Connecticut – but her talent for rhymes has taken her far from her hometown. The Germany-based emcee joins us with her band to perform tracks from her debut album, called “The Journey Aflame.”

See Akua Naru perform at Camaradas El Barrio on Thursday, September 22nd. More information here.

Akua Naru

mayatiam from New Haven

First of all, I want to give a shout out to the best single set concert/show/performance I have ever seen. Akua Naru and the DigFlo Band performed last night in New Haven, CT at Cafe9. They all did their thing. I will forever be a fan of this crew.

Secondly, I want to say to Udo, JPVIDEO, Tom, and Ben, So what the beat is looped!!!!! Who cares! The message behind the beat is what is most radiant. However, listening to DigFlo play the "looped" music live is way better than the cd. Sadly, because of this, I can not listen to the cd as hype and energetically as i had in the past.

And by the way Tom, I didn't know the skin color of the artist vs. the skin color of the band made much difference....I'll be sure to ignorantly look at them in disgust for pretending it doesn't matter now a days and label myself an "Uncle"-Tom for being a Black person coonin to the dope beats!

Continued success to Akua and digFlo!!!!!

ps. I am anxious for what the next album will bring!

Sep. 25 2011 11:56 AM
Ben Powell from the US

Um... in defence of the Hip-Hop genre in general, pretty much every mainstream song since 1984 consists of someone talking or singing over looped sounds. Not exactly a valid argument.

You guys do have a point about the song, though - the vocals need more strength, and some variety would be a good idea. They've got potential, but they aren't really pushing the envelope in any true sense.

Sep. 24 2011 05:36 PM
Tom

Interesting that Black Hip-hop/rap artists seem to always rely on white musicians to play actual instruments.

But the song is Boring...same old same old. "Uh,uh, uh, the world is listening..." Uh, not this piece...

Sep. 23 2011 05:40 PM
Maurie from Germany

Evidently you guys have missed something: Akua Naru and her band are simply out on their own - inspiring, profound, lyrical, unique. There is nothing mainstream about this artist and her band: they are pure magic - both musically and lyrically.

Sep. 22 2011 06:03 PM
JPVIDEO from CAMBODIA

Yes, I agree. Lately these days most rap music is a loop stolen from someone else, a beat box and an auto-tune device. You don't have to learn music now, just talk into a computer...

progress?

Sep. 22 2011 02:54 PM
Udo Dirkenschneider from Park Slope

Someone talking over a looping sound... when will we get bored by this?

Sep. 22 2011 02:46 PM
Aischa

Best regards to Akua Naru + band + cameraman (because I love him :) from Dortmund/Germany!!!!!

Sep. 22 2011 02:42 PM
shari

Love the cd, absolutely great

Sep. 22 2011 02:14 PM