Rum-pum-pum…RUN!

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

It’s a Christmas pop hit with such ubiquity that hundreds of people have joined a challenge this year to dodge it coming from radios, televisions and choruses this season. Today, we explore the power of The Little Drummer Boy – from its “Carol of the Drum” origins to its ability to bring together David Bowie and Bing Crosby in one very memorable performance. Village Voice music editor Maura Johnston joins us along with challenge founder Michael Peck. Plus, Emmy-winning composer and lyricist Alan "Buz" Kohan joins us to share the story of how the famous David Bowie and Bing Crosby duet of "Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy" came to be.

Watch David Bowie and Bing Crosby's take on "The Little Drummer Boy" from Bing Crosby's 1977 "Merrie Olde Christmas" TV special.

Maura Johnston and Michael Peck

clive betters

loyd, takes me to the ear bleed section, of neuro-auditory toxicity........

Dec. 07 2011 02:31 PM
Jason

I am not a fan of being forced to listen to music, especially Christmas music. Most of the Christmas music is just schmaltz of the sort that would be used to interrogate prisoners. Maybe that is why they play it in stores - so you just buy whatever and get the hell out ASAP.

Now from a liturgical point of view, the season of Christmas is after Christmas Day, so Christmas music of any sort is sort of silly before then.

Dec. 07 2011 02:27 PM
Angela from Brooklyn

Thank you for the little primer on the correct usage of the word "nonplussed"!

Dec. 07 2011 02:26 PM
Nick from UWS

Love the Bowie / Crosby duet. Love the cross-generational cooperation and collaboration. The meaning of love and Christmas.

Dec. 07 2011 02:23 PM
clive betters

von trapp version,is as stiff as a frozen drum stick..

Dec. 07 2011 02:17 PM
Catherine from Brooklyn

More jazz, please!

There are a ton of creative, jazzy Christmas songs out there that reinterpret the old canon. People are initially resistant if they're enamored of the traditional stuff, but most soon come around. They're FAB, and are the perfect background music to boozy holiday cocktails, rum-laced nog included.

Dec. 07 2011 02:16 PM
clive betters

gee,tell us what you really think siouxan....

Dec. 07 2011 02:15 PM
Jenny from nyc

Er, Cape May and Asbury Park are nowhere close to each other.

Dec. 07 2011 02:15 PM
Nickl from UWS

I don't want to hear ANY music. In ANY public place. In ANY store or ANY restaurant.

I'm effin' SICK OF IT. TURN THAT CRAP OFF, NOBODY'S INTERESTED IN YOUR TASTE IN MUSIC.

Dec. 07 2011 02:13 PM

Good god. There's certainly reason enough to avoid the Justin Bieber version. That was awful.

Dec. 07 2011 02:13 PM
Eric K

I didn't think anything could be worse than that "Friday" song from earlier this year...but I just heard that Beiber Drummer Boy song...

Dec. 07 2011 02:13 PM
Siouxan from Bronx

I'll never forget watching Bowie w/ Bing. I was a Bowie freak, and I couldn't believe how awful, AWFUL Bowie had become. He didn't even look good. If I hear that song in a store, I leave immediately!

Bowie was the King of Cool in my book, and he jumped the shark w/ that appearance. HORRIBLE!!!

Dec. 07 2011 02:12 PM