Big Top Tunes

Friday, January 20, 2012

Circuses from around the world are flocking to the International Circus Festival of Monte-Carlo this week – where performers compete for the prestigious Clown d'Or (“Golden Clown”) award. Today: We check in with Spectacle Magazine editor Ernest Albrecht, who is in Monaco covering the event – and we look at the rich history of carnival music with historian Janet Davis, who teaches at University of Texas at Austin.

Ernest Albrecht and Janet Davis

World Circus Culture Film from Brooklyn, NY

So great to hear news on the Monte Carlo Festival and hear from Ernest Albrect & Janet Davis! Two years ago we filmed in Monte Carlo for the documentary World Circus Culture.

Want to see some amazing circus footage from Monte Carlo and around the world?
VISIT http://www.indiegogo.com/World-Circus-Culture-Documentary

And pass it along!

Jan. 21 2012 10:50 AM
Kate from Boerum Hill

John
Great show today !
Loved the diverse array of musical style
The circus ! My heart stirs like a 7yr old when
I hear March of the Gladiators
Crazy man leaping around the studio (my mental picture)
creating a sound like Beck but 1000 times less electronic - loved him & his sound
Homage and few words for Etta
and it was fun to hear you be so circussy in the opener
Thanks

Jan. 20 2012 03:13 PM
Linda Griggs from LES

Thank you so much for forwarding my question to Janet Davis who will laugh when I tell her I heard about the Ringling Bros. concessions at a party after a symposium with her UT Austin colleague, Ian Hancock, who heads the Romani Archives there.

Jan. 20 2012 02:34 PM
Eric

Circuses are cruel to animals.

Jan. 20 2012 02:31 PM
Linda Griggs from LES

I'm wondering if there are still Romany/Gypsy performers and musicians actively involved in the circus. I understand they were very much involved historically but now at Ringling Bros. they only run the concessions. (I can't back that up with anything in writing. I just heard it in conversation with some Romani historians and researchers.)

Jan. 20 2012 02:16 PM
Jenna from UWS

Danny Elfman's score to Big Top Pee Wee is also awesome!

Jan. 20 2012 02:11 PM
barent

our politics is circus enough for me,thank you very much. you may have a good discussion, and it may be quite interesting. but, as a bit of an aside;circus,to me,is mostly,hollow sensory overload,in the service of vacuous spectacle. [think,going to a circus, and having a primary break out.]

Jan. 20 2012 02:01 PM