Genre Patrol: K-Pop

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Last week one of the biggest pop sensations in Korea made its debut on CBS’s “Late Show With David Letterman.” The nine-member vocal group Girls' Generation is at the forefront of a very young, very profitable genre known as K-Pop. Grantland’s David Cho joins us for a look at the rise of Korean pop music in the U.S. for our occasional series, Genre Patrol.

A list of David Cho's favorite K-Pop songs (titles translated):

2NE1 - "I Am the Best" [Watch a video]

GD&Top - "Knock Out" [Watch a video]

T-ara - "Lovey Dovey" [Watch a video]

Yoo Jae Ha - "In My Arms" [Watch a video]

2 Months - "Romantico" [Watch a video]

Watch Girls' Generation perform on "Late Show with David Letterman"...

David Cho

Joy from Oakland gardens

NYC need a K Pop radio station

Feb. 08 2012 06:44 PM
Brianna from New York

I got into K-pop about 2 years ago and I have seen it expand it's market. But I have also seen that with the growth comes a more fake kind of music. There was this band that was together like a year ago but has split up since then, Epik High. They came to the U.S. and did a show. They weren't very well known so it was small but now one of the members, Tablo, has signed with YG and all of a sudden there are girls popping up saying they love Tablo when they have only heard his K-pop music. I feel like the expansion has lead to a decrease in quality and I am weary of more publicity.

Feb. 07 2012 10:32 PM
Jessica from New Jersey

Sounds like bubble gum music. Is this the "tween" phenomomen in Asia. How does this differ from J-pop?

Feb. 07 2012 10:31 PM
Harold from Westchester

I watchd the videos. Great dancing. It looks like the Asian version of Soul Train. Regarding English, Some of the videos(the rapper) is in Korean.

Feb. 07 2012 10:28 PM
Sandy from NY

Top-seed kpop artists, including the Girls Generations, Super Juniors, TVXQ, Big Bang, are very popular these days not just in Asia, but in Europe and Middle East as well.
Who among Jpop singers nowadays have that kind of world-wide popularity?
And most kpop boybands like TVXQ and Shinee sing so much better than Jpop boybands and their dance performances rival most of American pop stars. And they sing live while they dance like real pros!
If you're not familiar with kpop and their world-wide popularity, I suggest you watch SM TOWN LIVE in Paris videos at Youtube.

Feb. 07 2012 02:41 PM
barent

grasshopper copulation music. oh, my latin american bro's that like this,how dopey can you be. sanganos y sanganas,por dios !

Feb. 07 2012 02:28 PM
Marina from Long Island

Everybody needs a niche market. K-pop, J-pop, pop-pop, who knew? Thanks for expanding my musical horizons!

Feb. 07 2012 02:27 PM
Maude from Park Slope

Does the guest think Lady G. or Niki Manaj is influenced by K-pop or the other way around?

Feb. 07 2012 02:25 PM
barent

menudo, meets pussy cat dolls, meets souless, manufactured, corporate bull..bleep, music.

Feb. 07 2012 02:23 PM
desdemona finch from Brooklyn

What would Confucious say? :)

Feb. 07 2012 02:22 PM

K-Pop?

Wow, this is PAINFUL!!!

Feb. 07 2012 02:20 PM
Maude from Park SLope

obviously the videos are super important, I was watching k-pop on a restaurant wide screen and was absolutely transfixed...
I feel like the music on it's own might make a person go insane rather than be mesmerized.

Feb. 07 2012 02:20 PM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

Does all K-pop music have this same video-game sound quality to it?
Is it just for kids, or do adults like it?

Not my bowl of kimchi at all, but just curious.

Feb. 07 2012 02:20 PM
Joe from NYC

Isn't this pretty much just a knock off of J-Pop?

Feb. 07 2012 02:12 PM
barent

re- this video, and the music in it: you're kidding,right? maybe, it's as simple, as just a little too much, of your classic virtuoso fetish, squeezing out any creative juices left over for pop. this particular korean pop, does not speak to me, at all. not even close.......

Feb. 07 2012 01:57 PM