Your Reactions: Madonna's Super Bowl Show

Monday, February 06, 2012

Last night's Super Bowl halftime show included cartwheels, bedazzled muumuus, raised middle fingers - and Queen Madge herself. We take your reactions to Madonna's performance - and ask TV and media critic Eric Deggans for his take.

Eric Deggans

Julie from Cleveland

I thought it was okay she look's really good for her age but the music was out dated, it would have been better to see someone with fresh music if you go with older music it could have been a classic rock band!

Feb. 06 2012 05:19 PM
Political Pop from America

gay

Feb. 06 2012 02:59 PM
ph

I think Madonna's song sounds nice except 1. she lip syncs, 2. it's a youthful song that would be more convincing if sung by someone actually young not digitized to sound young, and 3. the lyrics just doesn't mesh with what she is actually doing (eg, "everyone sounds the same"? Has she heard herself? That's what autotune does to a voice).

Feb. 06 2012 02:25 PM
tom g from westchester

After watching Madonna, who preformed well but was a bore I thought "why not let Toby Keith do this, it's his crowd and he'd bring the house down."...A country music band with well honed honky tonk grooves is tailor made for a venue like the superbowl.

Feb. 06 2012 02:24 PM
ericf

video broadcast of a live emulation of a music video experience which is a very weird thing to do to begin with.

Feb. 06 2012 02:20 PM
MP from Brooklyn

The show was really very solidly OK.

Feb. 06 2012 02:18 PM
Anthony J from Morristown, NJ

Mick Jagger has a decade on Madonna and moves MUCH better.
Of course she lipsynched - it was the geriatric dancing that
disapointed.

Feb. 06 2012 02:18 PM
The Truth from Becky

Nothing special, she had her time, can't surround yourself with our latest artists and rappers and become relevant again...by the by why didn't she ask Christina Aguilera or eminem to join her?

Feb. 06 2012 02:17 PM
JT from LI

Her songs don't have staying power. They were fine in the 80s and 90s but now seem very dated.

They should have brought Prince back and had him cover Madonna's songs. That would have been interesting and probably a lot better.

Feb. 06 2012 02:17 PM
Frank Grimaldi from East Village

I was entertained and her performance worked as a half time performance. Yes, she was lip synching - yes, the dancing looked too planned - the performance didn't have any tension whatsoever. It was safe.

Feb. 06 2012 02:14 PM
KP from NJ

Let's see if anyone still knows who MIA is when she's 53...that's the point, Madonna is still here, just like the Stones, who also haven't had a hit in years....

Feb. 06 2012 02:14 PM
jawbone

I don't know if it was my cable system, my TV, the sound system, the sound engineering or what -- but Madonna's voice was not carrying or miced well, especially in the first number.

It was frustrating to listen to.

Also, a commenter on another blog, who apparently had better sound feed than I did, said she could hear Madonna breathing in the last number so this commenter figured it was not lipsynching.

Feb. 06 2012 02:13 PM
Yazmin from Norwalk, CT

This conversation is incredibly sexist. The Super Bowl halftime show is known for picking older acts that connect with audiences across generations. She's 53- that doesn't mean she's no longer sexy, attractive or relevant. Why did Soundcheck decide to have a male commentator riff on Madonna's body and sexual appeal? Why wasn't a female commentator also included in this discussion??

Feb. 06 2012 02:13 PM
The Truth from Becky

Madonna may have been lip syncing but CEE LO was NOT!

Feb. 06 2012 02:13 PM
Debra T from Staten Island

Madonna was great...in the 80's. Move over for some new talent and for goodness sakes, start to act your age.

Feb. 06 2012 02:12 PM
alice from NY NY

I actually liked this show better than the last three... despite the lip synching.
I know she is 53 or so... but her costumes were not too risque and please note she moved awkwardly because she had a hamstring injury...

I still love her

Feb. 06 2012 02:12 PM
James from Nyack

Madonna looked a little old and frail....especially when she almost could not get up onto the steps. She almost fell over!

Would have been a much better performance if she had stood still and just sang ( and I mean really sing).

Feb. 06 2012 02:12 PM
James from Nyack

Feb. 06 2012 02:12 PM
Mark Rehnstrom from Astoria

I enjoyed the show, but there was no sense of space. The camera work and the canned sound gave me no sense of her actually being in the stadium. It would be interesting to have a recording from someone who was actually in attendance.

Feb. 06 2012 02:12 PM
Elysia from Stratford

Madonna has never been considered a singer. She's a media personality who has inspired young women, but singing was never something she did well. I liked the nod to Drum Corps, but boy, that would be more fun to watch than this craptacular spectacle.

Feb. 06 2012 02:11 PM
pete from uws

I totally disagree with your guest. That was some lazy dancing: she looked like she just woke up, she was so slow! All she needed were some sweat pants and a cup of coffee.

Feb. 06 2012 02:11 PM
siouxie from bronx

Forgot Cee-lo -sorry! He's a more than welcome addition at any event.

Feb. 06 2012 02:11 PM
Sheldon from Sheldon

Well, that's the irony - if Madonna actually did an amazing dance routine but lip synched, I won't have minded as much. She did neither.

Feb. 06 2012 02:11 PM
Siouxie from Bronx

Sorry dude. Choreography horrible, and Madonna's dancing for the first time ever: AWKWARD. Don't like Madonna's lady act and it certainly had no place at the Superbowl. Loved the Busby Berkley geometrics.

Props to Nicky Minaj and M.I.A. for keeping some edge alive.

Feb. 06 2012 02:10 PM
Sara

It seemed kind of uninspired, but was that MIA? She was great!

Feb. 06 2012 02:08 PM
nicky from nyc

Was she lip syncing??
perhaps the marching band members were the only ones actually playing instruments...

S

Feb. 06 2012 02:08 PM
John from Brooklyn

Two syllables: She-Ra.

Feb. 06 2012 02:08 PM
C Cee from NJ

In an age where super-lo fidelity is the norm and lip-syncing no longer an issue, Madonna offered the middle age equivalent of Micahel Jackson's Motown 25 moment (and I don't even care for her)!

Feb. 06 2012 02:06 PM
Betty Anne from UES

Well if it was an ad for modern medical science I'm buying. It was refreshing hearing Madonna's past hits and incredible seeing her sing them with the same face. Much like her songs, her face has stood the test of time.

Feb. 06 2012 02:06 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Madonna clearly didn't feel comfortable "dancing" in heels, perhaps she was afraid of falling? If she had worn sneakers, it would have been a totally different show.

Feb. 06 2012 02:05 PM
James

Really?! Madonna? Is that as current as they can get? So irrelevant!
Sorry.

Feb. 06 2012 02:04 PM

Being an "old broad" myself, I liked it! So sue me!

Feb. 06 2012 01:50 PM
The Truth from Becky

Stiff.

Feb. 06 2012 01:38 PM
Peter Zephir

She still has a little voice r maybe was that her lip singing. Either way she was moving the same she sang slow. She didn't do anything memorable. They should've gotten someone else younger to perform.

Feb. 06 2012 01:24 PM