'Fess Up: What Do You Collect? And Why?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our series on unusual music collections continues. We’ll open the phones to find out what YOU collect – and why. And local big-band maestro Vince Giordano tells us about his massive collection of sheet music and band arrangements – which he stores in a house conveniently located next to his Brooklyn home.

Vince Giordano and his sheet music collection

Vince Giordano

Does anyone know what to do with a huge collection of vinyl--mostly classical, some musicals, etc., but not pop--that I inherited from my parents? We have a huge collection of our own, with some duplication. Just no room for more. No one except maybe thrift shops seems to want vinyl. Also, we don't live in a major city. Any ideas? Thank you.

Feb. 14 2012 06:07 PM
Donna. From Edison nj

I am that woman collector who lives in a 2 bedroom apt with a vinyl collection of 1400 albums and 300 45's. Any no great place to display them. I started when I was 8 yrs. old. My collection is ecclectic. The great American SongBook, Rock n Roll, Show Tunes Classical . Motown. Music is my therapy. It's what moves me. I love your show. I'm not the biggest collector , but there's no lack of enthusiasm. Now how to catalogue them is another animal.

Feb. 14 2012 04:10 PM
jan from Brooklyn

How about "Is that all there is?" Angst-ridden to the hilt!

Feb. 14 2012 02:52 PM
HARRY from Brooklyn

I always think most of the Beatles love songs are pretty creepy. "Catch you with another man, that's the end-ah, little girl..." (Run for your life...)

Feb. 14 2012 02:51 PM
frank from Newark

I'm a music lover and a hopeless record collector, I can't stop the madness but I love it.
I must have over a thousand records and that's because I trade and sell some of it.
I just love collecting; thank god I have a house. I like seeing the value of these go up on eBay.

Feb. 14 2012 02:25 PM
Taxidermies Please from NYC

I grew up in New England surrounded by hunters that had stuffed items all over their homes. Living now in NYC, I wanted something to pay tribute to my roots and have taken to collecting deer mounts. Each is now wearing pearls, earrings or some other decor that highlights just how tacky I thought these things were as a kid.

Feb. 14 2012 02:22 PM
amelia from jersey city

I'm a violist, and I always say that my first, best teacher was my father's record collection. He startedwhile he was in college, and only bought cheap records, not like a crazy collector, just to have the music. And because of that I got to know a lot of chamber groups that weren't as famous, like the login and Concord quartets. I also benefited from a super collector of chamber sheet music: a very sweet amateur cellist whom I met once. She didn't know any other professional musicians, and said, "I'm 89, I need to have someone to leave this to, so its gonna be you." Years later, when I was living in Israel, I got a call from my parents that this lady had passed on and indeed left her giant piece of furniture to me! Now I run a chamber series and this huge library has been unbelievably valuable for us.

Feb. 14 2012 02:18 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Mr. Giordano ought to try to scan the stuff -- monumental I know, but there's always the problem of -- heaven forbid -- a fire.

Google has been instrumental (pardon the pun!) in scanning countless books.. perhaps they could assist or give advice on this.

Feb. 14 2012 02:17 PM
Librarianbiker from Bergen Co. NJ

John, just remember the adage about collecting:
If you have three or more of something, it's a collection.
I collect many things: Ukrainian Easter Eggs, Hoosier Cabinets, etc., but the one that pertains to your topic is a collection of hands.
I was married to a pianist for 20 years and collected hands whenever I saw them...and it's amazing how many you find when you're looking: I have a Mickey Mouse napkin holder in the shape of his iconic white-gloved hand, a milk glass soap dish in the shape of a hand with a lace cuff from the turn of the last century, a hand from a wooden saint, one from a manikin; another is a ceramic hand given out as a favor at a wedding-complete jordan almonds still wrapped in netting and one of my favorites, a hand that grabs yours when you try to take candy from a bowl.

Feb. 14 2012 02:14 PM
A Collector from Brooklyn

My odd musical collection is a list of songs where almost anyone within a reasonably broad age range would know most of the lyrics to most of the songs, without having set out to learn them. It seems equally likely that someone know a song because they hate it as because they love it.
For me, love the surprise when someone reads the list and realizes just how much they have learned passively in their lives. It makes people smile to take some time and enjoy their inherent capacity to learn things, however trivial.

Feb. 14 2012 02:01 PM