How Not to Sound Like A Wedding Band

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Engaged couples seeking offbeat live wedding music might find just what they're looking or at a nine-band showcase being staged as part of this Sunday’s “Wedding Crashers” fair in Brooklyn. We talk with Aaron Thurston of The Engagements, a band that will participate in the event. Plus: wedding planner Karen Bussen talks about her clients who've marched down the aisle to the beat of their own (carefully chosen) drum.

Karen Bussen and Aaron Thurston

Thomas Wilcher from Long Island

The ultimate jazz wedding band: The Lowdown Stompers (www.lowdownstompers.com) These guys (and gal) played my daughters wedding reception 6 months ago, and they were INCREDIBLE!

Jun. 27 2013 05:32 PM
Merry from New York

Many bands doing weddings these days are not "wedding bands" any more, but groups of highly skilled and sought after studio musicians, tour bands (the musicians playing behind name acts) and those working on broadway shows. My husband's Co., JM Music (The "A" Band of New York) is just one example. Topping the New York Wedding magazine's recommend list for several years running, this band's members are professional musicians whose resumes read like a veritable who's who list in the music industry.

Feb. 29 2012 03:17 PM
Merry

Feb. 29 2012 03:16 PM

Just got married on the 18th and my husband and I had a mariachi band and a DJ. When planning the play list, I had hundreds of songs, but in the end the DJ only played some of these songs and then went with the flow of the crowd. The mariachi also had my request list, but the guest loved them and made their own requests. We had lots of compliments about the party, so I think it best to be prepared when making these choices. When we looked for our entertainment we actually went to see both the mariachi band and the DJ play before hiring them. They were great! and the guests at our wedding had a blast - I can tell by how many were on the dance floor :)

Feb. 29 2012 02:53 PM
Susan from New Jersey

At my wedding six years ago, we hired Margot Leverett and the Klezmer Mountain Boys to play. They play a unique combination of klezmer and bluegrass. They aren't a wedding band; they have several albums. We also hired a traditional dance instructor so everyone could dance to the music and enjoy it. We had so many people come up to me and thank us for such a fun and inclusive wedding. We all had a blast.

Feb. 29 2012 02:45 PM
robert coles from Port Washington, NY

We got married in Brooklyn. At 5pm,the first member of the band showed up. At 7 pm, none other musician had arrived. I gave a tip to the "organist" to make it a success. It was fantastic and fun!
The next day, we had a drink at our apartment. We received a call from the restaurant asking what to do with 4 musicians who showed up... Too bad for them:)And we all still laugh a lot about it!

Feb. 29 2012 02:44 PM
michael from harlem

my partner and i were married last may. we were really serious about hiring a led zepplin cover band that we really liked but were talked out of it by our relatives. In the end, we hired a DJ friend who played popular music and a few select tracks. everyone loved and the dance floor was packed all night.

Feb. 29 2012 02:41 PM
Rachel from new york, new york

Several years ago, my cousin got married in New Orleans. He and his wife hired a fabulous jazz band. The music was lively and fun and for my brother and I, the icing on the cake was the lead musician who we learned was the musician featured in the Zatarain's rice commercials. Words do not describe.

Feb. 29 2012 02:41 PM
MattyMac from Queens

We had the Polka Brothers play our wedding, they were Awesome!

Imagine R Kelly's "Ignition" as a Polka - Priceless

They aren't really a wedding band, but they did a fantastic job.

Feb. 29 2012 02:36 PM
Mary from Manhattan

Back in '82 we were 21 and wanted a non-band so we hired the Columbia University jazz band. They didn't show up (well, a few guys showed up late), so my dad played piano until they got there..it was lovely nonetheless...my sister did not have much better luck - she hired a DJ so he'd have to play teh stuffshe wanted - Cole Porter etc. - which he was happy to do, but he still started the reception with the "And now, for the first time as husband and wife..." accompanied by "Celebration" -- she entered in tears!! but it got better later..... You have to be really specific I guess LOL

Feb. 29 2012 02:26 PM