The Junior J.B.'s: In Studio

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Guest host Christian McBride steps out from behind the microphone and picks up his bass to perform James Brown songs with guitarists Eric Krasno and Rodney Jones, vocalist Nigel Hall and other special guests.

Nigel Hall, Rodney Jones and Eric Krasno

Hosted by:

Christian McBride

ItsOnRadio from NYC

It appears the Soundcheck has undergone a slight change in its format, the Smackdown and some themes and are just getting away from the essence of an independent show that cannot be experienced on non-commercial radio. we hope they can stay more on track with "live music" and avoid superficiality -- an example of the extreme case is the "MTV syndrome" when music evaporated to try to get commercial views and chase down fashion. there have been some great features on soundcheck w/ John and guest hosts, lets continue to challenge our ears with interesting programming!

Mar. 21 2012 11:09 AM
Natalie from Harlem

Mr. McBride,

Thank you for this discussion about The One. James Brown! I listen to him on my Ipod, walking around NY. Can you all take us back to the Sixties when James came out with I'm Black and I'm Proud?

Natalie Bell

Mar. 15 2012 10:41 PM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

Gotta second what Clif said. I have really enjoyed the past few days of guest hosting by Christian McBride! He's got an organic, earthy approach to his interviews - injecting less of his own opinions, and letting his guests tell their stories - and his discussions have embraced and emanated a simple joy in music. As a fan of music, I relate to this much more than I do the endless discussions & smack downs with so-called "critics." Maybe a little less of that, and more of a vibe like this to make everyone happy?

I know it makes a difference that jazz has been the focus, and many of the guests/players are seasoned players with interesting stories and a mature way of speaking, but boy does it make for a more crackling program!

Mar. 15 2012 03:10 PM
barent

i hear ya' gregory. you're on the money. john, can more than hold his own. just in a different way. [maybe on two,instead of one]

Mar. 15 2012 03:09 PM
Gregory from Spuyten-Duyvil

PS, John Schaeffer's programming is routinely excellent, enticing, thought provoking and yes often groovy. Skip the hate.

Mar. 15 2012 03:00 PM
Gregory from Spuyten-Duyvil

yeah yeah yeah yeah YEAH!!! Love it. The GROOVE never dies.

Gratitude.

[this might be] Greg Burrows drummer in the Bronx

Mar. 15 2012 02:58 PM
DK in BK

The past two days shows with Christian have been out of sight! I've got goose bumps listening to this jam right now. Right on! Right on! I love him sitting in with the band. This is what Radio is suppose to be like. Sublime.

Mar. 15 2012 02:53 PM
Alex from BPC

Junior JB's need to tour!

Mar. 15 2012 02:52 PM
barent

i'm a gonna blame the next earthquake on ya'll,just so you be on notice !

Mar. 15 2012 02:47 PM
Clif from Manhattan

It's about time! I've heard better programming these past few days with Christian hosting than I've heard in a while on Soundcheck. No offense John, but take some cues here.

Christian, hope you are well,
A fellow bass player