Literary Listening, with Rick Moody

Monday, March 19, 2012

It’s no secret that novelist Rick Moody (The Ice Storm; The Four Fingers of Death) is a music fan. Song runs through his writing – and his albums, as solo artist and with his band, the Wingdale Community Singers. Now, the best-selling writer has a new release: a collection of essays called “On Celestial Music - And Other Adventures in Listening.” He joins us for a look at the link between literary writing and music, and more.

Rick Moody

Robots Need to Party from NYC

I question whether Rick has ever been to a rave.

The drum machine has given back to us one of the most human and soulful experiences we have ever had as a species, the tribal dance. This type dance was almost lost to modern man. The evolution of the drum machine and it's byproduct, electronic music, has brought countless souls together to move in the night as one.

Mar. 19 2012 02:54 PM
Jason from Bronx

Three very interesting picks. Thanks for sharing. Gotta get some tracks to include in my mp3 player

Mar. 19 2012 02:36 PM
Jim B

While I'm generally in sync with Mr. Moody's sensibility, he might better expand his horizons simply by asking himself what the artist is trying express and how well he accomplishes it.

Mar. 19 2012 02:33 PM
Joshua

I guess I'm wondering what makes Rick Moody particularly qualified to opine on the expressive capabilities of technology? Because all I'm hearing are the same warmed-over "music is no good anymore" arguments that every other cranky baby-boomer makes.

Mar. 19 2012 02:27 PM
Eric from Manhattan

I have that entire Raymond Scott for babies boxset.

I have no idea whether my kids got anything out of it when they were weeks old, but it hypnotized the heck out of me.

I still include it in shuffles.

Mar. 19 2012 02:24 PM
Pete from Westchester

This could put any colicky baby to sleep. I wish I knew about it when my kids were little

Mar. 19 2012 02:23 PM
RWriter from manhattan

Rick, I am RIGHT with you on the drum machines!

I can't stand that sound. Especially the fake clapping ubiquitous in R&B these days (bleargh!)

Great show.

Mar. 19 2012 02:19 PM
Lary from UWS

Are you saying New Order is not soulful?

Mar. 19 2012 02:19 PM
Siouxie from Bronx

How cool he's on the show today!

Here's a link to a wonderful tribute he wrote after Syd Barrett's death. It stood out among the pack IMO.

Mar. 19 2012 01:13 PM