First Aid Kit: In Studio

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

First Aid Kit (Amy Pearl/WNYC)

The sister duo First Aid Kit is from Sweden…but you’d never know it listening to their new album “The Lion’s Roar.” What they make is a kind of Americana, with acoustic guitars, autoharp, lots of layered, sisterly harmonies -- and shout outs to Emmylou, June, Gram and Johnny (no last names needed). They join us live in studio.

First Aid Kit

Declan from Sydney

I find "authentic" music really boring. The fact that First Aid Kit are from Sweden and they find inspiration from around the world is really interesting: it's a mix that's never been done before... certainly not with as much melodic and harmonic beauty as this.

Mar. 30 2012 07:50 PM
Joe

I really like this group. To say that they're somehow not valid or worthy of consideration simply because they have some obvious influences is ridiculous. All bands are inspired by other bands, other sounds. All art builds on art that has come before it. And the whole, "the music of today doesn't have any personality like the music of my childhood argument" is just patently ridiculous. Just because you don't personally enjoy it doesn't mean it isn't good.

Mar. 30 2012 03:17 PM

I loved this so much. The first time I heard First Aid Kit, I had stumbled upon their cover of Fleet Foxes' "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" which most people (including myself) agree is better than the original! I was quickly hooked after that. Their harmonies are beautiful and spot on, not to mention powerful. These girls sound fantastic, and I hope they keep up the awesome work!

Mar. 29 2012 10:31 AM
Karl from Detroit

The notion that these girls "lack authenticity" is amusing. If you don't care for their music, well, that's your loss, but I don't know how anyone can call it trickery or deception or falsehood, or regrettable in any way that two young people with this much conviction and talent will pick up a banner that deserves to be carried.

Spend twenty minutes watching their old youtubes shot when they were barely teenagers and then tell me these two have ever done anything on stage or in the studio that isn't pure, heartfelt and genuine.

Recycled? Please, nobody's ever made any good music that wasn't recycling something. People said Dylan was recycling Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie, and he WAS. If you are going to push it away on that account then I can only wish you a long and bitter old age. These girls are still KIDS and already they are writing songs like Not Coming Home Tonight, Hard Believer, Emmylou, Ghost Town , all of them bearing the marks of immaturity but nevertheless damn good music . That there are young people committed to real, live performance and personal songwriting in the era of auto tune and ProTools makes me glad to be alive.

Mar. 29 2012 10:13 AM
tom LI

How is this NOW? Because all things of the past have been adopted and co-opted by the younger gens now. The kids these days have a incredibly rosey nostalgia for days they simply do not know much about and as such understand little about it.

IMO, one of the problems with todays music is there is no identity to the time, like there was in the past...be it the Swing of the WW2 era, the Doo-Wop of the 50's, or Rock n Roll of the 60's till it went into a coma somewhere in the late 80's, and eventually died in the mid 90's. Not even the spurt of life from the Grunge and Rap/hip-hop managed to resuscitate the music of the Youth.

Look at fashions these days - all rehashed from the 60/70's. The youth have been fed a myth from their Boomer parents - thru the marketing monsters they created - about how cool it all was...but they leave out the necessary lessons about the social issues. Which is why we see nothing musically NEW and cutting edge emerging from the recent Occupy Efforts. No rebellion music, just more commercialized Junk!

Its NOW because its a rehash of the old.

Mar. 28 2012 05:52 PM

Has Swedish culture run dry?

These girls have talent but, for me, they lack an authenticity.

It's bad enough when American hipsters regurgitate vintage American country/folk music.

Mar. 28 2012 02:58 PM
Richard from New York

Good work. Love when you both talk and hit the same word in harmony.

Mar. 28 2012 02:54 PM
Jennifer from nyc

I think they sound great. This is timeless american music. It's hard to believe their Swedish. They sound like american girls

Mar. 28 2012 02:51 PM
Michael from Manhattan

Sounds like they might have heard a Sharon Van Etten record or two...

Mar. 28 2012 02:49 PM

Affectation?

Mar. 28 2012 02:46 PM

These Swedes tricked me!!

I like them less for doing so.

Mar. 28 2012 02:42 PM

Man sounds like hippie music. Why now, this is 40 years too late. Like a museum piece.

How is this now?

Mar. 28 2012 02:41 PM
John from Brooklyn

Just gotta say I first heard First Aid Kit when they released a cover of Fever Ray's "When I Grow Up." It's truly an imaginative and forward-thinking interpretation of an already wonderful song.

Mar. 28 2012 02:38 PM