Exclusive: 'Newsies' Cast Recording Stream

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 10:00 AM

PLEASE NOTE: Soundcheck's weeklong sneak preview of the "Newsies" cast recording is over. The stream has expired. Thank you for listening!

Disney's new Broadway musical "Newsies" will release an original cast recording on iTunes on April 10 and on CD on May 15. But Soundcheck premiered the album a week early with an exclusive stream.

It features a score by Academy Award-winning composer and songwriter (and recent Soundcheck guest) Alan Menken, lyrics by Jack Feldman and book by Harvey Fierstein.

(Listen to Soundcheck's interview with Alan Menken, and hear about the historical events surrounding Newsies with WNYC reporter Richard Hake.)

Track listing:

12. Watch What Happens (Reprise)*

13. The Bottom Line (Reprise)*

14. Brooklyn's Here*

15. Something to Believe In*

16. Once and For All

17. Finale

*New original songs written for the stage production

Tags:

More in:

Stephanie from Sacramento

The live show was so much better than the recording. It brought tears to my eyes. Go see it. You need to.

Apr. 03 2012 07:31 PM
Michael from New York City

It's great that this preview of the NEWSIES recording, but I think it's unfortunate that nowhere are the performers names listed. Perhaps in the future Soundcheck could include that information...these very talented performers have NAMES!

Apr. 03 2012 05:22 PM
Rah from manhattan

Wonderful! you CAN hear all the lyrics and they all rhyme. And you understand why the characters are singing and all that.

That's what it's supposed to be.

Nice work, Feldman & Menken !

Apr. 03 2012 04:03 PM
Elizabeth from Brooklyn

The last verse on Carrying the Banner is a bit much, but maybe it works better on stage. The orchestration on The World Will Know is way too busy. The brass from the movie soundtrack support the voices better than the drum set and oscillating upper woodwinds. Could a better mix could help that?

I'm sort of missing High Times, Hard Times from the movie but I think I'm the only one. The new songs aren't terribly incongruous.

Apr. 03 2012 02:06 PM
kollmar from usa

----what convenient memory loss;.......THE SOLE REASON FOR THE BAD REVIEWS OF NEWSIES IN 1992 WAS DUE TO THE EXCESSES OF DISNEY CO, PREZ. MICHAEL EISNER,,,,,the film was pulled from theatres in six(6)days''' TV CRITICS PANNED IT WITH DELIBERATION..Christian Bale was indeed miscast.ortega's choreography was tactless;; and the rest is history.. pk

Apr. 03 2012 02:02 AM
RICHARD CAMERON from MIAMI

Apr. 03 2012 12:02 AM

Sorry B.Z. but even diehard fans of the original movie are in love with this. I was very skeptical of the changes before seeing it at Paper Mill but I fell in love with this new take on one of my favorite movies from my childhood, also if you remember in some of the sections of the movie they did have boys doing more ballet styled dance, maybe not as strong as it is in the stage production but they did have perfectly pointed toes while dancing as well.

Loved the show at Paper Mill and cannot wait to see it on the great white way at the end of this month! Beautiful adaptation of a childhood classic, The changes in the show have only made it better, perfectly cast from the leading actors down to the swings...Congratulations Disney, you have a show to truly be proud of!!

Apr. 02 2012 10:56 PM
Ellen from NC

Not only is the music fabulous but the voices are wonderful. Jeremy Jordan, Kara Lindsay and the cast give it their all! This soundtrack is going to be a classic. Sit back and enjoy!

Apr. 02 2012 08:28 PM
James Edward Dauphin from CHICAGO

For all of us who grew up with this movie and even more proud to be part of The Walt Disney Company family, for years so many of us wanted this dream to come to fruition and here it is and what an amazing, electrifying evening of theatre this show has turned into! From the opening night fireworks and way too many people to extend thanks to, for an adult to get goosebumps at theatre these days, this show and this greatly captured cast recording is tops!! Amazingly enough, with all the forsaken remakes in HollyBooBooWood, THIS here is a destined and screamin out with 'banner carrying' glee to remake and include this amazing cast! Ever so proud of the show, to have witnessed such magic all the way from PaperMill Playhouse to Broadway, this cast recording WILL make all of us paperboys relive those glorious tunes, grab our newsboy hats and leap and jump to the hilts in our own homes! Congrats to all on such a great, fantasmic evening of theatre and for a great and ever so speady cast recording to be released on its heels..and so the show IS an open ended run soon, right? Much gratitude!!

Apr. 02 2012 08:00 PM
B.Z. from Boston, MA

I won't lie, for the diehard fans of the original movie, the plot changes and the music changes are extremely disappointing. However, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. There is a reason the movie didn't do so well, after all, and the music on this soundtrack fixes the mistakes.

The presentation of the musical is horrible, however. Streetwise newsboys doing ballet jumps and extended pirouettes with perfectly pointed toes, while impressive, is pretty silly. The choreography should have been a bit more thought out. Even the newspaper sequence in 'Seize the Day' doesn't make up for the fact that the majority of the choreography is horribly mismatched for the concept and characters.

Still, the soundtrack is well written, the lyrics are fabulous and do much more for the plot than the ones in the movie. I like it and I'll buy it! :-D

Apr. 02 2012 05:54 PM
Luke

I absolutely love the new music and the revisions to the old music. Watch What Happens (reprise) is probably my favorite with Once And For All as a close second.

One thing I am really upset about is the language. I mean, I get that this isn't the same as a movie, but it's a Disney musical! I was upset when they slipped D*** into The Little Mermaid, but this is way more blatant. I'm still going to buy the soundtrack as soon as I can and I'm still going to love the show, but I think it's sad that Disney is going down that route.

Apr. 02 2012 04:23 PM
Jenn from nashville, tn

this is wonderful! i started tearing up 4 notes into the Overture. traveled from nashville, tn to see this at papermill and going back memorial day weekend to catch it on broadway. seeing newsies brought to life on stage is an absolute dream come true. crossing my fingers for an open-ended run so i can see it a few (dozen) more times :)

Apr. 02 2012 03:29 PM
@NewsiesWhatsNew from NYC

Saw the show twice at Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey and this Saturday on Broadway! The new songs are fantastic and edits to the old lyrics are welcomed. The stage production feels much fuller and more developed than the movie (still LOVE the movie). The lyrics and musical stings are so moving. Once and For All is a favorite. It's in my head all the time. It keeps me going!

Apr. 02 2012 01:49 PM
Michele from Wharton, NJ

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new part of Once and For All! It's as powerful as it sounds in the theater when the scaffolding moves forward. Gives me goosebumps just listening to it!

Apr. 02 2012 12:49 PM
Casey

This is perfect! Thank you so much for this! Saw this on Saturday, and their live performances is just as good as the recording!!! GO SEE NEWSIES!!

Apr. 02 2012 10:39 AM