Glenn Frey: Solo Flight

Monday, May 07, 2012

Glenn Frey of the Eagles joins us to talk about his first solo album in 17 years, a collection of standards and love songs called “After Hours.”

Glenn Frey

clive betters

i don't think he's contrived or full of himself, per se. if he were, he'd do a better job of sounding more natural. he sounds to me, like someone with a touch of aspergers[if we want to go there],who is not really in touch, with how overly litteral and matter of fact he is. and, is unaware, of just how inappropriate and self-centered that sounds.

May. 07 2012 05:30 PM
Lori from queens

The focus on his parents is so heartwarming. I sure hope he's not just using them as part of his marketing strategy! Surely not!

May. 07 2012 02:29 PM
chris in nj

who is mr frye kidding talking about song craft. this guy wrote smuggler's blues. the ego on this guy...putting himself on the same level with these great songwriters?

May. 07 2012 02:28 PM
Bob from Neptune, NJ

Just "Miami Vice"? What about "South of Sunset"?

May. 07 2012 02:28 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

John, if I wanted to torture myself with the aural equivalent of decaying dog feces from an abandoned basement, I'd hang out in the dentist's office. There are literally THOUSANDS of interesting and new artists out there, and here you are, punishing us with a spotlight on the superbly banal Glenn Frey.
Who's next, Rod Stewart? Oh, wait, you just mentioned him.
The radio is off, but I'm still twisted up inside.

May. 07 2012 02:26 PM
Sam

I'm sorry to say this but this sounds dreadful to me...

May. 07 2012 02:26 PM
RitaMeeta from New York

C'mon folks, many older artists want to pay homage to the great old material. Why shouldn't Glenn? I admit I was nervous when I heard he was doing a Beach Boys' song, but his version of Caroline No, which is hard to do well, is sung beautifully. I'm curious now to hear the rest.

But I'm curious why he truncated the end of each line, which Brian sings with a three-note, downward stepwise figure. It's part of the melody and it belongs there. DO OVER!

May. 07 2012 02:24 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

oh boy, this album so far does not sound like homage to the American Songbook, it sounds more like a burial...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

May. 07 2012 02:18 PM
Lori from queens

It would be sad if he weren't so rich.

May. 07 2012 02:17 PM
Larry from New York City

Sorry, Glenn, but Linda Rondstadt did three albums with Nelson Riddle...What's New, Lush Life and For Sentimental Reasons. We won't tell her you didn't shout at the third album. Her albums are terrific...

May. 07 2012 02:13 PM
donald from NJ

Nothing says "I have little left to offer" like a wounded bird doing a
standards covers album. I guess he's ice skating on the freeze over of hell!

May. 07 2012 02:09 PM