Regina Spektor: In Studio

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

With a new album out today called “What We Saw From the Cheap Seats,” singer and pianist Regina Spektor returns to our studio to play some new songs. The best seats in the house will be right in front of your speakers.

Regina Spektor

fredland

Regina you are beautiful, amazing, and an inspiration to all of us. The world needs more talented musicians like you! I hope for the sake of all of us you continue to make music and PLEASE COME TO NY ON TOUR!!!!!!!!!!

May. 31 2012 10:18 PM
tom LI

Had to check back...knew my remarks would get someone riled up. Too funny, that personal opinions are stomped on as wrong by so many. Makes me laugh..

I simply don't like this crop of current female singers who - while talented - tend to all sound alike in voice, timbre, tonality, and lyrics. I tend to prefer to the Original voices to the crop of Ms. Sames..

Sorry but that's just me. Be it a male or female...in fact - I'm not sorry at all..

May. 30 2012 12:35 PM
clive betters

i like her very much- perhaps, she does not want to get into political controversey. maybe thats's the the real reason, she does not want to say what her politician song means,as oppossed to wanting us to believe, that she does not want to mess with our personal interpretation of a song. in any event,if she feels she can't deal with political fallout,i have to respect that. not everyone can. i'm just a bit suspect of her reason or justification, for not being more specific about a song with political conotations. keep writing regina,you are a unique much needed voice out on the scene today!

May. 29 2012 09:50 PM
Jay from Brooklyn

Loved this interview, she's really an interesting character! (Also sounds really sweet and incredibly endearing).

I don't know what's up with the negativity on these comments so far...am I the only one that hears how great her voice sounded in this radio studio recording? Not that many artists capable of that these days...!

Thanks for introducing me to a new artist.

May. 29 2012 07:34 PM
marsbars

I can easily tell the difference between Sarah MacLachlan, Norah Jones, Tori Amos, and Regina Spektor's voice. Try actually listening to their music Tom! Not every one is blessed with a Janis Joplin growl. Should anyone who doesn't have that particular kind of voice just quit? I'd definitely be missing out on a ton of music that I love if that were true. Music takes all kinds of voices. It's good to learn to appreciate that. I mean, that's what gives us an interesting variety of artists.

May. 29 2012 05:13 PM
tom LI

Okay finished listening...well as far as I could get...not so special...not saying anything special.

And when are female artists like this ever going to stop sounding like Sarah MacLachlan (sp?) Norah Jones, and Tori Amos...? There seems to be ONLY one voice for these females...where are the white female artists who can rock the house, who have a unique and gutsy and sexy voice...? They aint in this genre that's for sure...

May. 29 2012 04:38 PM
tom LI

Regina who? Never heard of her till now...Gaga major - Spektor, not so major.

We really need to stop labeling everyone as a Major artist just because the WNYC crowd wets their pants over them...

May. 29 2012 04:31 PM
Adil

Made me look her up and listen to some of her beautiful music. Thx!

May. 29 2012 03:56 PM

Hey, foodaggro from Brooklyn!!

I can be a brutal troll...especially about the youngsters...

I like her, though.

She's got a great voice.

Not saying everything but, I think she's got sumthin'!

May. 29 2012 02:37 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Wow. This is even WORSE. She sounds like a spoiled, over-caffeinated woman-child perpetrating horrid music crimes. John, once again, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??

May. 29 2012 02:21 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Wide-eyed looker Regina Spektor is way too self-consciously precious for me. Her gut-twisting twee pablum makes me want to rinse my ears out with Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music."
That said, she does seem like a really nice person.

May. 29 2012 02:17 PM