Imagine a World Without The Stones

What if Mick & Co. had called it a day in 1970?

Thursday, July 12, 2012

This Thursday marks the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones’ first gig, which took place at London’s Marquee Club on July 12, 1962. While the band celebrates yet another milestone in its sprawling career, Soundcheck wants you to join us in an alternate universe and answer the question: What if the Rolling Stones – like the Beatles – had called it quits in 1970? John asks music critic and author Anthony DeCurtis how music history would be different without mid- and late-career Stones? We want you to weigh in: Leave a comment below.

Anthony DeCurtis

Hosted by:

John Schaefer

Northridge Personal Injury Attorney from Northridge

It was an amazing post and it has a noteworthy meaning and thanks for sharing the information. I would love to read your next post too. <a href="http://www.mandellaw.com">Personal Injury Attorney Northridge</a>

May. 21 2013 02:47 AM
Eric

As Mr. DeCurtis noted, the importance of the Stones' landmark 1969 U.S. tour should not be underestimated. It was the first major rock and roll tour in which all of the concerts were staged in basketball arenas, and one of the first tours in which a band used its own sound equipment instead of relying on the venue public address system. It also broke records for the highest ticket price for a rock concert (around $10 for the highest price shows, which believe it not was shocking at the time). The opening acts included Ike and Tina Turner and B.B. King. The concerts on the tour were often chaotic, running hours behind schedule and ending at 2 AM in the morning, but they were incredible shows.

Jul. 12 2012 11:25 AM
Alayna from Hickory Flat, MS

If the Stones had died out & split we wouldn't have what kids listen to & claim as music today. Every guitar riff, every line of poetic & almost sheer madness has led us to where we stand in rock n roll today. But of course, if it wasn't them, it would've just been someone else to discover this magnificent mixture of soulful words & most beautiful instrumental noise. We're just lucky enough it was this particular group of curious, open minded, musically talented guys that could, under every circumstance or scenario given, despite the ups & downs of the rock & roll lifestyle, maintain the professional ability to keep their minds & hearts where they needed to in order to deliver to the world such a phenomenal sensation & introduce to us (or our parents) to what would change the history of rock & roll as well as other genres of music forever. for this I am eternally grateful. Music, of any kind, whatever you may choose to listen to, is proven to move your soul & heal your heart. I'm fortunate enough to say that my parents grew up in the 60's & 70's just a bit south of Memphis, TN, so music was a huge part of our life- especially blues & rock n roll. Growing up in the 90's, I'm quite certain I was the only 10 year old girl jamming to "Miss You" or "Start Me Up" on the morning ride to school. At the time my parents would tell me not to repeat lyrics of some of the songs we'd listen to or that the lyrics meant something other than what they did. & these songs I grew up with, thanks to my hippie parents, helped heal & move me like never before. I lost my godfather at about 10 or 11 & "You can't always get what you want" was played at his funeral. It was then that I put in perspective what the words actually meant to me. My ex fiancé & the father of my son passed in 2010 & he always liked the song "Wild Horses" & as always it's "to each his own" & for me it was a message of love- saying not even a life apart could come between our love.. It's these emotional & sometimes risky songs that got the Stones to where they are. They were so advanced beyond their time, yet giving their audience & fans exactly what they wanted & needed- even if they would only wake up years down the road to finally interpret the true meaning behind some of their favorite songs & correlate it to a specific time or place in their life to make it their own. THANK YOU, ROLLING STONES! KEEP ROCKING!

Jul. 12 2012 06:32 AM
Antonio Becerril from Mexico City.

Had The Stones broken up in 1970 we would only have the Brian Jones phase and they would never have been able to cover The Temptations. And probably we wouldn't have gotten any biographies as cool as Keith Richards' Life.

Jul. 10 2012 02:23 PM
Chris from Sunset Park

One of the reasons The Beatles are so beloved is they never had a chance to release a truly "bad" album. Had the Rolling Stones broken up in 1970, I think they would have attained a more mythological status. Something about seeing an aging group of old men on stage takes away the mystique of their early years.

Jul. 10 2012 01:14 PM
Jack from Astoria

The Stones have been together as a band longer than I've been alive. (30 years). They are consistent in a world that is ever changing. My grandfather hated them, my parents loved them and I embrace them for the music they've made over five decades. I went to see them live while in Europe in 2005 for the first time. I was expecting to see old men who couldn't hack it anymore,
but they were great and they were better than the young band that opened the show for them. I hope they tour again, so that a new generation can experience the legendary Stones. Moves Like Jagger expresses there timeliness and relevance.

Jul. 10 2012 11:12 AM
Luis from Miami

The Stones changed the world not only musically, but socially. They were the only band to influence The Beatles and Bob Dylan. The Stones are a saphire...

Jul. 10 2012 07:27 AM
DH Bennett from Chelsea

Separating the Rolling Stones from any period of Rock n' Roll from the mid 60's through today is impossible. They have continuously carried the main strains of Rock n' Roll: Blues, Jazz, Folk, and Country. Call it naive, but I'm fairly certain Rock n' Roll would have fallen in on itself by 1985 without Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St, and Tattoo You.

Jul. 09 2012 09:46 PM