Tonight: After The Storm: Your Requests

You pick the music as host John Schaefer creates a post-Sandy playlist.

Friday, November 02, 2012

Residents of Brighton Beach prepare for Hurricane Sandy Residents of Brighton Beach prepare for Hurricane Sandy (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

Superstorm Sandy affected each of us in very different ways. Tell us what music you want to hear in the wake of the disaster. What song seems appropriate? Did music play a role in your storm experience? Give us an artist that really fits the mood. To put it simply: What music do you want other WNYC listeners to hear right now, and why?

You might hear your song during our special broadcast Friday evening from 9-11 p.m. on WNYC 93.9 FM and WNYC.org

Leave your request below, email us at Soundcheck@WNYC.org, or tweet us @Soundcheck with the hashtag #afterthestorm

Jennifer tobias from east village

when the power went out I was enjoying Haus am See (House by the Lake) by Peter Fox. it's in German but a fun listen. it's been soothing to have a melody in my head and fun to make up Sandy-related lyrics. glad to have power back to listen to wnyc!

Nov. 03 2012 08:00 AM
Leeam from Queens

Which Kanye song was it tonight?

Nov. 03 2012 12:27 AM
Mario Argote from Park Slope Brooklyn

I think Pat Metheny's "Estupenda Graca" captures both the sadness but also the hope that comes from an event like Hurricane Sandy.

Nov. 02 2012 10:56 PM
Kirsten Hali-Wilson from Rock Tavern, NY

I feel such deep seated sorrow and pain for those who have lost so much. It's physically painful to watch the news now that our power and cable are back. I cannot believe what I am seeing. My roots are in NYC (my mom is from Staten Island, dad raised in Manhattan) although we now live in Orange County, NY. We are praying for our fellow New York and New Jersey neighbors.

The one song that comes to mind for me is the haunting yet hopeful:

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
by Elton John

God bless.

Nov. 02 2012 10:54 PM
Wayne Batcheler from Manhattan

Remembering the fuel crisis from the early 1970's, listen to "Get That Gasoline" by NRBQ.

Nov. 02 2012 10:52 PM
Jennie Livingston from bk

Dar Williams Mortal City is a great suggestion!

Nov. 02 2012 10:49 PM
Lynda D'Orio from Kinnelon NJ

Suggestion - It keeps rolling in my mind - REM's Everybody hurts- it is a song that comforts people who are lonely and overcome- yet it makes you feel hopeful- waiting for power to come on!
Thanks

Nov. 02 2012 10:49 PM
Martha Bourne from Ossining, NY

My heart and prayers go out to all who are suffering as the result of 'Sandy.' Despite all the hardship, loss, and suffering however this is still a wonderful world we live in. So, I would like to hear and dedicate Sachmo Armstrong's "Wonderful World" to all your listeners.

Gratefully, Sister Martha
Maryknoll Sisters - Ossining, NY (Westchester County)

Sent from my Samsung tablet

Nov. 02 2012 10:39 PM
tim from bronx

Bruce Springsteen's music evokes the spirit of New Jersey for me, especially the Jersey shore. I think Bruce may have been particularly prescient when he recorded the song, "Sandy."

Nov. 02 2012 10:39 PM
Jennie Livingston from Brooklyn

One Little Song - Gillian Welch
The Predatory Wasp.... - Sufjan Stevens
Toumani Diabate -- ANY song from New Ancient Strings
Django Reinhardt -- It was so beautiful, or anything at all
Crosby Stills Nash Young -- 4 & 20

Nov. 02 2012 10:18 PM
Tom Silvino from Franklin Square, NY

I always listen to this song in times like this...

"Everyone Is Good" by The Roaches

I would like to be a person who does not judge
Free to be me whatever that might be
I don't want to hold a position, don't want to hold a grudge
'Cause it seems to be the cause of a lot of misunderstanding
Heartbreak misery

Looking in your eyes you're different from me
Why does it have to be that one of us is better
Can't we both be beautiful even if we don't agree
Like the flowers in the garden and the animals in the wood
Each one with a purpose and each one is good

Everyone is good

Nobody's God says hate your neighbor
Even if the neighbor doesn't believe in God
Put aside your religion do your God a favor
And wouldn't it be something to be loving and kind
Forgive yourself for everything having once been blind

Everyone is good

Nov. 02 2012 10:16 PM
Neil from Westchester

How about “You're the storm" from The Cardigans "Long gone before daylight". Their singer Nina Persson has been a NYC resident for several years now. You could follow that with "Feathers & Down" from the same album. For all my friends who are still in the dark in Jersey or New York.

Nov. 02 2012 10:10 PM
Shannon Anastasia from Lafayette NJ

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel w/ Kate Bush
For all those souls who begin the long journey to rebuild...
Who may be turned away by some, you will find friends & solace, please hold on & keep going.

Nov. 02 2012 10:10 PM
Segio from Fair Lawn NJ from Fair Lawn, NJ

In the dark, with conford food, a cozy thrown, my lovely wife, and NPR. Arenita azul, fromLila Downs, helped me to feel a bit better, thanks for such a great pr po gram.

Nov. 02 2012 10:07 PM
Sandeep from Orange NJ

Song Enya-may it be

This songs makes us stronger for a better hope of brightening light every day after a dark night.

Nov. 02 2012 09:52 PM
Katharine English from Lower Manhattan

Hi. My husband called in earlier to request a song, out of the woods, by public image Limited. The reason this song was so important to us during these past few days, is that it's a battle song. Just when you think you cannot put another foot on another stair in another dark stairwell, somehow you manage to do it. The song is about Jackson, and a major Civil War battle. Jackson stood in the woods because he could and he would. (some lyrics!) In the same way, we have stood our ground. Yes there have been casualties. Yes there has been destruction. But in New York, we are fighters, and we won't give up. Out of the woods! From Paul Woods and Catherine English on beaver Street in lower Manhattan.

Nov. 02 2012 09:51 PM
Mickey from Harlem

Addendum to my earlier post... I also want to extend my song dedication to NJ, all the other states and even provinces in Canada that were affected by Sandy. It was a brain fart, when I only listed NY.
I hope everyone is warm, dry and has a full tummy tonight and every night going forward.
XO
M

Nov. 02 2012 09:49 PM
Susan from Washington Heights

Andrew WK's "Got to Do It"

Nov. 02 2012 09:49 PM
AB from Brooklyn

Ann Peebles > I CAN'T STOP THE RAIN. Not so much a comforting song as a soulful slice of reality which should not be forgotten after the clean-up when hopefully we'll explore how to minimize future deluges.

Thanks for the light WNYC.

Nov. 02 2012 09:48 PM
Christiaan from Coney Island

I am an avid NPR listener, listen to at least 4 hours a day. However when my area was evacuated I forgot my radio. Now I know I am home because I get to listen to the great NPR programing. I particularly love the eclectic music selection for tonight's show, it is truly the music for everyone tonight. The song that is always uplifting for me is Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, it is the best song to sing in any situation

Nov. 02 2012 09:46 PM
randy mowry from washington sq park area

My favorite band for the past few years is Tinariwen, the Touareg band. Their album, Aman Iman, Water is Life, leads off with Cler Achel, a song about the Touareg suffering in the 1980s droughts. We were deluged with water, but they wanted water. Even though I cannot understand their lyrics, but I love their sound. Right now I would settle for desert warmth as I sit in my cold apt.

Nov. 02 2012 09:44 PM
Rob from New York City

Stand by Me performed by John Lennon
A time for support for and with friends, loved ones, caring neighbors and those in need..
"When the night has come, and the land is dark, and the moon is the only light we see.."

Nov. 02 2012 09:43 PM
Chris from Brooklyn

Gogol Bordello - "Oh No." It's an amazing song, about partying when the lights go out, and the importance of remembering how to be a community when the lights come back on.

Nov. 02 2012 09:41 PM
Michael

Been listening to Jack Rose's album "Kensington Blues"...especially the songs "Sunflower River Blues" and "Cathedral et Chartres".

Nov. 02 2012 09:40 PM
John from Bronx

In keeping with the mood of longing and despair with a bit if hope, Bruce Springsteen's Atlantic City. Not a huge fan, but a beautiful song and appropriate I think.

Nov. 02 2012 09:38 PM
LeeAnne Hutchison from Brooklyn, NY

the basis of my inner soundtrack out here in brooklyn has been RIDERS ON THE STORM, by the Doors. i'm sure i'm not alone.

second to that, has been Doc Watson's THE TENNESSEE STUD---i think because its about a badass (in this case, a horse) who triumphed over, shall we say, circumstances... played by the best blind fiddle-playing musician i've ever heard (and i've heard him live many many times)... when i'm in trouble, i reach out to the music of my bluegrass roots in athens, Georgia. i love brooklyn and it's my home now, but sometimes when my heart aches for my new home (like it does this week), i want to sing it a song full of the strength and vigor of the bluegrass country i hail from. so new york city, this one's for all y'all---and the horse you rode in on

thanks sound check , what a great program

Nov. 02 2012 09:36 PM
April from Norwalk, CT

I still don't have power here in ct (norwalk), but through the wonderful planning of my incredible hubby, we're sufficiently powered by a generator we purchased during the noreaster of '09.

Earlier this evening I saw at least 25 work trucks from Canada on my street and thought, "these guys have traveled hundreds of miles away from family and loved ones to assist us with our power outages," and really can't help but feel for them, despite my own frustrations. The song that really came to mind for me was Los Lobos, "The Valley." The sentiment behind the words really resonates. On a side note, I am thrilled to have Soundcheck back on the air after a hiatus. I heart you, John! Rock on.

Nov. 02 2012 09:33 PM
Jennie Livingston from Brooklyn

Was making Halloween dinner for friends -- lucky to have power here in Windsor Terrace, BK, hosting evacuees from East Village, one of them a 6 year old dressed as a goth girl with green hair and blood around the eyes, and 3 neighbors and BK-ites, kept listening to Sir Duke. So grateful for light, heat, food, friends. The song underlined that feeling.

Nov. 02 2012 09:31 PM
Beth B. from Brooklyn, NY

Huey Lewis's Happy To Be Stuck With You...it kept my boyfriend and I dancing and happy while we were literally stuck in the house together. I remember my father saying, "How can this be a love song?!? It's awful!" and just laughed and laughed at the memory. It's not about the pretty part of love. There's an honesty to it that many of us felt while staring at that "person we love" in a teeny tiny space for the 6th day in a row. We've been through some ups and downs, but boy I would want to be stuck with no one more than him. Ever.

Nov. 02 2012 09:29 PM
Naomi Murphy

Despite all the damage and loss, I feel like New York is New York, a place full of people who are always fiercely alive, through thick and thin, and there is nothing like Tom Wait's raspy, poetic voice to remind you of that fact, like in a fitting song, "In The Neighborhood".

Nov. 02 2012 09:28 PM
Peter F from West Village

Love the special show, but we're getting frustrated hearing only short excepts. Play more music, less talk. And how about a little Stevie Wonder - Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing. Seems appropriate.

Nov. 02 2012 09:25 PM
carlos from Montclair, NJ

"Over There" by Terence Blanchard is a mournful yet inspiring and trancendant piece that he played in a benefit concert for Katrina. I think its appropriate now.

Nov. 02 2012 09:23 PM
Sid from Brooklyn

Never has a tune been more fitting than Power Out by the Arcade Fire. Even though I had power.

Nov. 02 2012 09:14 PM
Mickey Donohue from Harlem

A few years ago I came across this song on a sampler CD. It would have been the song, if I could write such wonderful lyrics, and sing so beautifully, the song I would have written and sung for my Grandmother Delphine. I want to dedicate it to all the New Yorkers who are suffering right now due to Sandy.
Artist: Candi Station
Song: I'll Sing A Love Song

Nov. 02 2012 09:13 PM
Ron from East Village

Really enjoyed part one last night. The cello concerto was nice - it was used in the film AUGUST RUSH.

We just got our lights back in the East Village around 5 PM. Hooray!

To all the great folks who are coming in from all over the country - both military and civilian - to assist in our recovery...Thank you!

I’m reminded of a song by Nancy LaMott - “Help is On the Way”

Ron

Nov. 02 2012 09:10 PM
Rick Tetzeli from Brooklyn

The most soothing song I know is from the soundtrack of a movie called Amandla!, which is about the music that defined and propelled the anti-apartheid movement. The song is called The Untold Story, and it's sung by the amazing Sibongile Khumalo wit the lush, clear piano of Themba Mkhize. I hope you enjoy it.

Nov. 02 2012 09:06 PM
E from Queens

Gasolina by Daddy Yankee.

This was playing at the grocery store in my neighborhood today, and the literal meaning of these lines seemed oh so timely: La gasolina! Dame mas gasolina! Just minutes later, I saw a man rushing down the street lugging one of those suddenly familiar (and precious) red plastic gas jugs.

Nov. 02 2012 06:39 PM
Zoe from Brooklyn

O-o-h Child by The Five Stairsteps....

Nov. 02 2012 06:15 PM
Edmund III from Jersey City

"Kathleen" by Townes Van Zandt, a song invoking the wind, a lack of sunshine, and the ocean's roar. Played it on my iPod during the blackout in JC.

Nov. 02 2012 04:57 PM
Ray from Jersey Shore

Like a Hurricane - Neil Young

Nov. 02 2012 02:51 PM
Ray from Jersey Shore

Any song by Rosanne Cash - she lives in NYC and would know what to sing.

Nov. 02 2012 02:46 PM
Peter from Manhattan

How about "Flashlight" by Parliament-Funkadelic?

Nov. 02 2012 08:57 AM
strawberry foster from Hoboken,NJ

I was suppose to get married this weekend in Hoboken,but obviously this will not happen. I would love to hear Coldplay, Everythings Not Lost from the album Parachutes

Nov. 01 2012 10:54 PM
Auggie

La Vida (SI La Vida Me Da Palo) - Mano Negra
"If life beats me down / I'm gonna stand it"

Nov. 01 2012 10:50 PM
Rich from Brooklyn

Speaking of Hoboken. Thought of the native sons/daughter Yo La Tengo's 'Our Way to Fall'.

Nov. 01 2012 10:49 PM
AV from Brooklyn

"Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" by Stevie Wonder (I think).

Nov. 01 2012 10:47 PM
Michael Farrell from Barstow, CA

Saw this too late on Twitter to influence anything, but I hope you remembered and did "How high's the water, Mama? Five feet high and rising." You're dad's memory of a childhood disaster turned into family story and triumph couldn't be more atropos. Now, go slop some hogs or something suitable for the new New York...

Nov. 01 2012 10:43 PM
John Donnelly from Nassau Co, NY

The work that comes to mind in this Sandy aftermath is from legendary jazz composer Freddie Redd titled "Lonely City". I am a jazz bassist who had the great fortune of having been introduced to Freddie by the great Philly Joe Jones on a gig in Washington DC. Shortly thereafter, Freddie asked me to fill in for the rehearsals for several recording dates he had, which included "Lonely City". The track features saxophonist Clarence "C" Sharpe, a legend of the East Village in the 80's, introduced to the scene on Lee Morgan'N first date in 1957(?). C delivers a particularly poignant rendition, capturing Freddie's intent like he never imagined. Also on that date is "After the Show", which might appropriately be renamed "After the Storm"! I was subbing for George Duvivier in the rehearsals. When getting paid, I also received an invitation to the recording date, which was at Rudy van Gelder studios. I was particularly interested in observing The great Mr. Duvivier sight read this complicated music, was rewarded way beyond my expectations! New York is incredible!

Nov. 01 2012 10:42 PM
Jenny from Princeton NJ

Please play "Here comes the sun," with George Harrison et al . One of the extended jam versions like Prince's Trust. Or "Stand by me," maybe the Playing for Change version because it's all about people coming together and making music together. Thank you.

Nov. 01 2012 10:40 PM
John P from Long Valley, NJ

Accidently sent before I could comment.

Varttina-- The Village Awaits the New Moon. Always lifts my spirits in sad times.
Pink-- Try from her new CD. Kicks butt and makes me want to help get things done.

Nov. 01 2012 10:32 PM
Jersey Jake from Dark Jersey

Springsteen's "No Surrender," please.

Nov. 01 2012 10:31 PM
chris from Bushwick

"Estupendamente" by The New Raemon. A song about surviving tough period in a relationship. Catalan artist who sings principally in Spanish

Nov. 01 2012 10:31 PM
Wendy from Brooklyn, NY

Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert - any piece - uplifting, soulful, soothing. Always my first choice for healing.

Nov. 01 2012 10:28 PM
Alisa from Chelsea

I am a professional musician living on 29th st and 8th ave and im listening in the dark and need to conserve my phone battery!! Please play "waters of march" by Antonio Carlos job in!!

Nov. 01 2012 10:26 PM
K

Lee Oskar "before the rain"...uplifting..

Nov. 01 2012 10:26 PM
Frustrated Con Eder from the ear

Cannonball Adderly's "Mercy Mercy Mercy"
and
Morrissey's "Everyday is like Sunday"

Nov. 01 2012 10:23 PM
Abel from Brooklyn

How about "This City" by Steve Earle? Though it is about New Orleans, it is now very applicable to NYC.

Nov. 01 2012 10:21 PM
Irene from Gramercy-Stuyvesant

What's old is new again...
Can't get 'After the Gold Rush' - Neil Young out of my head since this all started and it's still in my storm soundtrack

Nov. 01 2012 10:21 PM
Algora from Sunset Park

omg...i was also thinking of Jackson Browne's "After the Deluge".
there is a lonesome, defeated, singular tone in his voice and it's fitting these days where the death toll from the storm keep rising.
By the way: if you want to do something against climate change - Change your diet. Diet plays a heavy role in climate...Cows are very cute, but cow consumption...not cute for the earth.

Nov. 01 2012 10:19 PM
Leba from Brooklyn, safe & Sound with electricity!

It may be a bit teeny-boppy, but I find the song "Safe & Sound" by Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars very comforting. These lyrics in particular seem apt:
"Don't you dare look out your window, darling,
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when the music's gone
Gone"

For fun, I'd suggest "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head" by BJ Thomas

Nov. 01 2012 10:18 PM
jill from hastings on hudson

2 weekends ago I saw an upcomming band at the CMJ music fest called The Modern Electric. Bought the cd and now up in Hastings on Hudson with electicity but no cable or internet ,the CD player and the radio are saving us. The song David Bowie (save us all) is definitely keeping us moving and dancing in the kitchen. Its great to have some new music to break in!

PS the crank radio I got as a thank you gift from the last NPR fund raising drive was also an amazing help during our power outage on day one.

Nov. 01 2012 10:18 PM
Jerrold Jacobson from Union, NJ

First-thank you all at WNYC for providing a psychological platform of rationality within a suddenly chaotic, potentially insane cauldron-you deserve to hear beats of appreciation, as you calmly and joyfully express intelligent contemplation and tranquil reflection. Please play Shannon by Henry Gross who expresses a clearly understood sense of loss-with everlasting love....

Nov. 01 2012 10:17 PM
Sara Jane from Bed Stuy

A few songs have been rotating on my inner (and outer) iPod:

Heartbeats by Jose Gonzalez (and the Sony Bravia Bouncy Ball video.)

Somewhere Over the Rainbow, the Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo version

And a song that always gets me up when I'm down: "That's the Joint!" by Funky 4+1

Nov. 01 2012 10:15 PM
Ira Wolfman from Upper West Side

"I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash offers a bright ray of hope that acknowledges "all the obstacles in my way." Gone are the dark clouds, it's gonna be a bright sunshiny day -- after we get past all the obstacles in our way.

Nov. 01 2012 10:14 PM
rose-ellen from jackson heights

High Water Rising by Bob Dylan.Yplifting sound but persistent-like the storm and its aftermath.

Nov. 01 2012 10:13 PM
Linda from West Village

On my third walk uptown and back again followed by one more climb up 15 flights hauling a few gallons of water, what food I could find (raiding the fridge in my office), my newly charged laptop, and other necessities for camping in my fiance's apartment, the Rolling Stones' 'Beast of Burden' helped me hike back up to our high-rise tent for a night by candle light listening to the radio and making the best use of my two hours battery life online.

Nov. 01 2012 10:12 PM
Dale from Hudson Valley

Oh, and I forgot, 'Electricity' by OMD, carbon fuels from the sea, never more to be free.

Nov. 01 2012 10:12 PM
Chris from Lower Manhattan

Here Comes the Sun. - Beatles
Or the Ritchie Havens version.

Nov. 01 2012 10:09 PM
David kaye from Westfield nj

I think of the great randy Newman song Louisiana. Although more appropriate to Katrina it certainly has profound meaning to to sandy.

Nov. 01 2012 10:09 PM
Kathleen from Madison, New Jersey

Jackson Browne's "After the Deluge". I'm listening to you on a transistor radio I purchased eight days ago in expectation of Super Sandy. No power, no heat, no idea when this ordeal will end - but thank God for music and WNYC. Kathleen

Nov. 01 2012 10:08 PM
brian_in_brooklyn from Brooklyn

The ever-annoying John Schaefer for two hours? For two evenings? On AM and FM?

I'd rather hear Sandy's screeching and howling winds, thank you very much.

Nov. 01 2012 10:08 PM
AV from Brooklyn

Another that comes to mind..."Lean on Me" by Bill Withers. Very appropriate.

Nov. 01 2012 10:08 PM
Jackey Gold from The Bronx, New York

I know many will request this but I couldn't resist..
In honor of NJ, which took such a hit in this storm...
Please play "Sandy (The Boardwalk, Fourth of July)"
By The Boss Bruce Springsteen

Nov. 01 2012 10:07 PM
Marco from North Salem, NY

Met Rosanne recently through our mutual friend George K. Love her!

I think it's time to play springsteen's Sandy, Asbury Park, 4th of July.

Marco, from North Salem, in the dark, by the fire.

Nov. 01 2012 10:07 PM
John P from Long Valley, NJ

Varttina- The Villge Awaits the New Moon.
Pink-- Try

Nov. 01 2012 10:07 PM
Rebecca from Toms River, NJ

Is it cheesy to request 'Fixing a Hole' by The Beatles? I'm so heartened to see EVERYONE working to reconstruct these streets & houses, & it just keeps me going.

Nov. 01 2012 10:05 PM
Whitni Roche from Brooklyn

My husband, Aaron, is an artist on New Amsterdam Records, and they all pitched in to build out a great little performance and office space in a Red Hook warehouse, but tons of equipment, instruments, and albums in storage were destroyed by all the polluted sea water that flooded the whole space. One of the label's founders, the composer, Sarah Kirkland Snider, put out an amazingly lovely album last year called Penelope (referring to Odysseus's wife) which is an operatic song cycle featuring Shara Worden of "My Brightest Diamond". I love the song, "Nausicaa" for its hopeful, seafaring theme...and I think it would be a fitting tribute to feature a song by someone who has poured her heart into this project (along with Judd Greenstein and Bill Brittelle), especially when the theme of her whole album are so appropriate to the situation the whole family of musicians down in Red Hook now face in Sandy's aftermath.

Nov. 01 2012 10:05 PM
KT from Kinnelon NJ

So I ended up being with my friends and neighbors more than listening to the radio or watching tv - and even though I missed "my music and the news = that I had been glued to before the power went off = I gained a closeness with the people who live near me. We shared food, waited in line for gas for the one generator that we shared among families, spent time together just being together - precious and priceless. Now the power is back on and I want to hold on to that sense of community.

Nov. 01 2012 10:04 PM
AV from Brooklyn

One that immediately comes to mind is "The Landscape is Changing" by Depeche Mode. A little geeky, but appropriate.

Nov. 01 2012 10:04 PM

How about Dylan's Down in the Flood (greatest hits vol 2 version)

Nov. 01 2012 10:02 PM
Abel from Brooklyn

How is it that no one has posted "It's Raining Men", by the Weathergirls? It's been on my mind throughout the entirety of this lonely hurricane...

Nov. 01 2012 10:02 PM
Joe from Orangeburg, NY

Exhausted by Joseph Arthur. These last four days have been just how JA says it!

Nov. 01 2012 10:02 PM
Silbin Sandovar from Long Island City

"Someone Saved My Life Tonight" Elton John

Nov. 01 2012 10:02 PM
steevew

How about Dylan's Down in the Flood (greatest hits vol. 2 version)

Nov. 01 2012 09:58 PM
Blair from Park slope-brooklyn

Well! I am not running in the marathon on Sunday but my training starts tomorrow as i will be walking from Park Slope to Manhattan to catch a bus to the upper east side. I will probably be jammin to Cat Power-Manhattan.

Nov. 01 2012 09:57 PM
Rosemary in West Village from West Village

On this fourth night without power, I am hearing in my head the achingly poignant voice of Roberta Flack singing "Suzanne takes you down to a place by the river...." Will you play it, please?

Nov. 01 2012 09:57 PM
charlie from Brooklyn

Not to play to your guest, but In times of profound trouble I always find myself turning to the Carter Family's "Can the Circle Be Unbroken" It's always gotten me through bad times.

Nov. 01 2012 09:56 PM
Matt Langer from Bushwick, Brooklyn

How bout "Shelter from the Storm" by Bob Dylan. I heard this on the anniversary of September 11th. It's political themes seem pertinent right now as they did then. Hope this helps to give people a little relief.

Nov. 01 2012 09:55 PM
John from Ithaca

For all those folks out there waiting and hoping for someone to help--think Hoboken--and wondering if they are high on the priority list, Randy Newman's "Louisiana 1927." This version (from the "Our New Orleans" tribute album):

Nov. 01 2012 09:53 PM
Mari from Park Slope, Brooklyn

The Power by Snap! Because it got kinda hectic.
Here Comes the Rain Again by Eurhythmics

Nov. 01 2012 09:53 PM
Miriam Basilio from Clinton HIll, Brooklyn

Don't Rain on My Parade by Barbra Streisand

Nov. 01 2012 09:52 PM
Alex from Rockland

Downeaster Alexa - Billy Joel
Five Years - David Bowie

Nov. 01 2012 09:52 PM
Gerry from Warwick, NY

Three of four songs come to mind: first Sandy from the movie Grease, also bob Dylan's "Hurricane," because it was a song about someone who Dylan believed was innocent but he was much more complicated than Dylan originally believed. Also, After the Deluge.

I'm a native New Yorker living upstate on my 4th day of no power.

Nov. 01 2012 09:52 PM
Nicole Contreras from New Jersey

Touch of Grey by the Grateful Dead

Nov. 01 2012 09:50 PM
Rich from Williamsburg

I've had "Gimme Shelter" by The Stones in my head since Monday. Have had it on repeat as I walk over the Williamsburg bridge each day to deliver supplies to the shelters. The whole experience has really diluted my anger at not getting tickets to their New Jersey shows....

Nov. 01 2012 09:46 PM
Natasha Jahangir from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

Every time I see that picture of a blacked out manhattan with the empire state building lit up, it's almost like a guiding light. The Beacon by A fine frenzy comes to mind, the lyrics go "let me stand by you, honor is mine/loneliest light"
Another inspiring favorite is 'be still' by the fray. Thanks for having this program. NPR has been stellar through out this time!

Nov. 01 2012 09:44 PM
Rebekkah from John Street, financial district, manhattan

Speaking of Ok Go, their song "This Too Shall Pass" (the live, marching band version) sure would help this girl in the dark Financial District feel a little lighter. Would also help me carry my water up those 11 flights of stairs...

Nov. 01 2012 09:43 PM
Ilene from 28 & 3rd

How to get through the rest of this?

A little optomistic joy, Jorma Kaukonen singing- I am the Light of the World
and add
Fiona Apple- I'm an Extraordinary Machine!!

and love to Rosanne Cash please.
thanks.
NYC Pioneer Woman 2012/NYCPW2012

Nov. 01 2012 09:41 PM
Tompkins

Broke down palace by the grateful dead

Nov. 01 2012 09:36 PM
Phil R from Astoria

After The Rain, by John Coltrane

Nov. 01 2012 09:29 PM
Dale from Hudson Valley

"Here Comes the Flood," with it's prologue track "First Inaugural Address," by Robert Fripp. Cheers, as much as is possible right now.

Nov. 01 2012 09:27 PM
tenisha from murray hill

Simple Mind's - Don't You Forget About Me
My roommate and I are in our 4th day of no power, no water and aside from us just being Breakfast Club heads, this is our way to remind the government and ConEd to not forget about all of us without power and water that these elements need to be restored just as quickly as the public transportation has been. So people can really feel like their back to normal, instead of just keep telling us that we will get back to normal.

Nov. 01 2012 09:24 PM
Jeff from LA

Man. "The Only Living Boy In New York" really got me. That was played at a late friend's memorial service last year in NYC. What a perfect song.

I suggest "Of Montreal - A collection of poems about water"

This band's early stuff always cheered me up. This one is a uniquely whimsical and simultaneously sad little ditty.

Nov. 01 2012 09:24 PM
Jeff from Greenpoint

'Touch of Grey' by The Grateful Dead. Thank you.

Nov. 01 2012 09:21 PM
Abe Velez from Brooklyn, NY

"Rise" by PiL

Nov. 01 2012 09:21 PM
Daniel from Brooklyn

I think Billy Joel's Miami 2027 is always perfect for remembering how NYC will always recover after disaster and tragedy strike. Even after "Manhattan sank out at sea..."

Nov. 01 2012 09:20 PM
Tim from Ringwood, nj

Please share with your listeners "head above water" by Ryan montbleau from his new album for higher

Nov. 01 2012 09:20 PM
David Leffler from Astoria, Queens

Okay, how about "Over The Rainbow" performed by Jane Monheit?
Why? Because it's a beautiful song and Jane Monheit's voice is very soothing.

And, the most obvious reason, after it rains, there's a rainbow!

Nov. 01 2012 09:20 PM
Tompkins

Galveston flood by tony rice
Muddy water by the seldom scene
In from the storm by Joni hendrix

Nov. 01 2012 09:19 PM
Tim Hollinger from Bushwick

LED Zeppelin "When the Leave Breaks" that harmonica sweeps like the water came in.

Nov. 01 2012 09:17 PM
B.S. from UWS

Bach's Air -- soothing and inspirational

Nov. 01 2012 09:16 PM
Rachel from UWS

We Will Become Silhouettes by the Postal Service. I never really noticed the lyrics until Monday evening when the storm was bearing down on the city.

Nov. 01 2012 09:16 PM
Hal from upper westside

Eric Johnson - Nothing Will Keep Me From You
always a favorite, but key through the storm's ordeal

Nov. 01 2012 09:11 PM
Silbin Sandovar from Long Island City

Nick Lowe's cover of Tom T Hall's "Shame On The Rain"
does it for me right now. Just sums up all my feelings
right now.

Also Johnny Cash's "Five Feet High and Rising"

Nov. 01 2012 09:10 PM
Charisma

Some frank sinatra Come Fly with me
And Gene Kelly singing in the rain
And lastly seasons of love from RENT

Nov. 01 2012 09:06 PM
Amy from Brooklyn

Ain't Got No -- I Got Life, Nina Simone from remixed and reimagined

Nov. 01 2012 09:05 PM
Antoine Beagleman from NYC

"Fields of Glory" by the Ostinato Brothers.

A send up to the awesome power of human empathy, compassion and selflessness: exactly what New Yorkers are exhibiting toward one another in these difficult days.

How beautifully appropriate...

Nov. 01 2012 08:18 PM
Lynn from NYC

Springsteen's Sandy

Under the Boardwalk

Nov. 01 2012 07:32 PM
suzinne from bronx

You can't go wrong with "Let It Bleed." The Stones at their soothing best.

Said I wasn't going to comment anymore, yet here I am.

Nov. 01 2012 07:29 PM
Jo from Bridgewater

For me, Minnie Driver's "Everything I've Got In My Pocket" is very soothing.

Nov. 01 2012 07:29 PM
Joe from Sheepshead bay

Tomorrow off quincy jones' back on the block album. Feel good tune with a hopeful message. Hope for a better day will help get us through.

Nov. 01 2012 06:58 PM
Mike from Monroe Township, NJ from Monroe Township, NJ

Would like to hear "One of our Submarines" by Thomas Dolby. I saw him at MoogFest in Asheville, NC on Saturday night then raced home to NJ to get home to my family. This song (as Dolby explained) was written as a dedication to his uncle, who died in a submarine in WW II. I haven't heard this song in at least a dozen years despite owning it on CD somewhere... Yesterday, I was on Staten Island collecting ice and milk; my ears perked up when I heard the song for the second time within a week. My thoughts go out to all of those who have suffered loss.

Nov. 01 2012 06:41 PM

any good gospel version.

Nov. 01 2012 06:13 PM
Jean from NYC

Beware of Darkness - George Harrison

Nov. 01 2012 05:43 PM
Gianni Lovato from Chatham, NY

"You'll never walk alone" would seem appropriate for the occasion.

Nov. 01 2012 05:41 PM
bk from Brooklyn, NY

"Westwind"-- from Nina Simone Remixed & Reimagined
"You Shook Me All Night Long" -- ACDC
"Life Has Just Begun"-- Audra Kubat-- Million Year Old Sand

Nov. 01 2012 05:28 PM
Paula from Manhattan

The Wheel by Rosanne Cash

Nov. 01 2012 05:19 PM
LJ from Queens

How about "There's Got to be a Morning After" from The Poseidon Adventure.

Nov. 01 2012 03:27 PM
Helen from Chicago

I have a tune to offer from our scrappy Chicago string band to all of the powerless on the east coast: Enjoy!!http://www.reverbnation.com/3rdsundaystringband/song/11713237-i-want-my-electricity

Nov. 01 2012 01:27 PM
Maya from Mamaroneck, NY

This will be my final comment. ;)

Pretty much any song on Caribou's "Up In Flames" album.

Also, the Four-Tet Remix of the song "Melody Day" by Caribou is pretty post-apocalyptic.

Nov. 01 2012 10:37 AM
Maya from Mamaroneck, NY

Got one for post-storm:

"I've Lived On a Dirt Road All My Life" by Caribou

Nov. 01 2012 10:18 AM
Maya Wojcik from Mamaroneck, NY

Hey John! How are you after the storm? I picked two songs, which came on during the storm on my shuffle. I guess they are not post-storm, but hope you will consider them:

"Sandy" by Caribou
and
"Have you ever seen the rain" by Credence C.R.

All my best,

Maya

Nov. 01 2012 10:13 AM
Erich

During the storm I was listening to Moon of Manakoora (Dorothy Lamour) from the film The Hurricane, but yesterday my song was Oh, Heavenly Salvation, the Kurt Weill song from Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny (Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny).

However the storm came before one of the most important feasts in the catholic (small c intended) church: All Saints Day. I think it would honor those who lost their lives to hear For All The Saints (Sine Nomine). My favorite version, right now, is probably the most camp as well. It's by the The Mike Sammes Singers & The Ted Taylor Organsound.

Nov. 01 2012 09:18 AM
david from nyc

across the universe-the beetles
imagine-john lennon
let it be-the beetles

Nov. 01 2012 09:10 AM
amy from brooklyn

Ana Egge - The Flood (OUT PAST THE LIGHTS)
Ana Egge - Storm Coming (ROAD TO MY LOVE)

Nov. 01 2012 09:03 AM
david from nyc

you should play tomorrow from the broadway show annie

Nov. 01 2012 09:02 AM
Producer Joel Meyer from WNYC

Post your ideas for songs and compositions here! John and the Soundcheck team will monitor this page all day today (Thursday) as we create the playlist for tonight's 9-11 p.m. broadcast.

Nov. 01 2012 08:28 AM