Check Ahead: OneRepublic, 'Native'

Songs for the world wide ear, from the chart topping band.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 12:00 PM

OneRebublic will release 'Native' on March 26th (LeAnn Mueller)

In a recent interview, Ryan Tedder, the founder and songwriter of OneRepublic, reveals that the band decided to call its third studio album Native (out Mar 26th) because “we’re intrinsically not an American sounding band.”

“We don’t have that obvious American sound to us,” Tedder explains. “I wanted all the people in South Africa, Poland, France, Australia -- I wanted the music to feel like it was indigenous to them, like it was native to where they were from.”

It’s not a far reach to say that the quintet -- which had a meteoric rise thanks to MySpace -- aspires to the school of global pop: a stadium seating club that also include the likes of U2 and Coldplay. Tedder himself has songwriting and production credits that include worldwide hits for stars like Kelly Clarkson, Adele and Beyonce.

This is also a club that comes under especially intense scrutiny -- and is in the dangerous position of going big and turning bland. But Tedder and OneRepublic are well aware of the examination facing acts that write for such an enormous, slippery audience. “Lately, I’ve been losing sleep, dreaming about the things we could be” sings Tedder on the album’s opener, “Counting Stars.”

The group certainly lost some sleep over Native, its first release in four years. What happened? The radio ballad band discovered EDM, particularly Swedish House Mafia. As a result, Native is full of bigger beats, anthemic choruses, and other surprising influences. “Can’t Stop” has the wobble and rumble of dub-step darling James Blake, and “I Lived” embraces hallelujah rock with a worldess sing-along chorus.

A preoccupation with mortality also runs through Native. Globetrotting Tedder confronts his fear of flying in "If I Lose Myself" as his bandmates sing back to him, "take us down and we keep trying / 40,000 feet keep flying." One of those big new beats, on “Feel Again,” includes heartbeats of children from Malawi and Guatemala, and is part of a campaign for the non-profit Save The Children. And, as the album draws to a close, the gospel-inflected “Preacher” delves into Tedder’s familial and spiritual history, even as the sheen is super glossy. These are songs for the world wide ear...one ear at a time.

Native on iTunes

Audio is no longer available for this feature. Watch a video on the making of "Preacher" below:

Tags:

More in:

pool from Poland

Poland people thank You for this album
^^ Again great job....if u create for Us, for Poland too then come to our country!:D

Jun. 04 2013 07:02 AM
Monica from POLAND

PERFECT!!!! FANTASTIC! AMAZING!!Burning Bridges ♥♥♥

Mar. 24 2013 11:36 AM
Lucas Brammer from USA

Wait... where is "Life in Color"?

Mar. 23 2013 10:47 PM
Hanaa Elsabagh from Alexandria, Egypt

Awesome album!!
I'm definitely buying a copy! ♥

Mar. 22 2013 08:33 AM
Julie from Sydney, Australia

This is too beautiful. I can't stop listening to this !! Love the whole album

Mar. 22 2013 03:38 AM
Lucas Brammer from United States

This is going to be their best album yet :)

Mar. 21 2013 11:04 PM
Amethyst McMaster

I love this album! I can't wait to buy a copy! Great job OneRepublic! Hope to see you guys in concert soon!

Mar. 21 2013 02:35 PM
Hamais from pakistan

Owesum Tracks (Y)
Nyce work..Luv Ur album!!

Mar. 21 2013 04:32 AM
person

There is a typo on the stream player for Preacher. It says "Oneepublic". Btw awesome stuff here.

Mar. 20 2013 08:20 PM
Carlos from Honduras

Woow I have to say that this is their best album yet. I really love I lived and Preacher. Both talk about a lot of things that I recently lived... I feel so great knowing that I'm not the only one who feels the way I feel...

Mar. 20 2013 06:35 PM
mario from osnabrück, germany

nice! see you in düsseldor

Mar. 20 2013 03:58 PM
dario from curti, italy

a very good album!!!!

Mar. 20 2013 03:25 PM
Marion

Soooooo beautiful ! when will you come to France ??! :)

Mar. 20 2013 09:33 AM
Christopher from New Zealand

im a big fan of One Republic!!! when will you come to New Zealand???

Mar. 20 2013 03:57 AM
Annie from China

This is amazing, OneRepublic! Keep up the great music--I hope I can see you guys in concert someday! <3

Mar. 20 2013 02:58 AM
Josh

Why don't you have "Life in Color"? For stream. That is the best song on the album!

Mar. 20 2013 02:49 AM
Tan Yong Soon from Malaysia

This album really impressed me. lots of great songs in there.
Love it.

Mar. 20 2013 12:05 AM
Denise from New York City

Omg!!the tracks are so awesome!!the band totally rocks!!will always support them no matter what!!!so can't wait to get the album!!! ;D <3

Mar. 19 2013 11:20 PM
Cheryl Robertson from Louisiana

Wowzas!! This album is a freakin mazing!! Can't wait to buy it next week!!!! Pure awesomeness!

Mar. 19 2013 11:12 PM
miki from Florida

Everything Ryan Tedder touches is gold! I love it!

Mar. 19 2013 08:25 PM
Miranda from México

I love it guys, is sooo different but soo perfect...Seriously guys, you're AWESOME <3

Mar. 19 2013 07:59 PM
Liam Galashan from Scarborough, England

Can't wait for the album especially Burning Bridges and Preacher, favourites so far!!!

Mar. 19 2013 06:09 PM
Alecs from Romania

Can'stop ! The best song from Native

Mar. 19 2013 06:05 PM
Nadège from France

This album is so good ! One week to wait !!!

Mar. 19 2013 04:54 PM
Lotte from Netherlands

this new album from onerepublic is just so different
but at the same time it is so good!

Mar. 19 2013 04:38 PM
Csm from Romania

I just can't stop listen "can't stop"...

Mar. 19 2013 04:16 PM
giselle

they are fantastic, i love all their songs. Keep on dreaming big. Don't hesitate. You guys ARE GOING Far.. Namaste:)

Mar. 19 2013 03:55 PM
Chaelvin from Auckland, New Zealand

I've been waiting for a long time!
I'm definitely getting a copy of their album when their in stores.
Great tracks as always!

Mar. 19 2013 03:54 PM
Jamila from The Netherlands

Support OneRepublic, respect their effort, buy the album!

Mar. 19 2013 03:50 PM