Missed It Then, Love It Now: Your Picks

Tell us about the music that you didn’t hear the first time around, but now love.

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 03:00 PM

For Soundcheck's Joel Meyer, 'Looking For The Magic' by the Dwight Twilley Band is a recent discovery he missed the first time around. For Soundcheck's Joel Meyer, "Looking For The Magic" by the Dwight Twilley Band is a recent discovery he missed the first time around.

Even the savviest music geek will miss a few records here and there. This week, Soundcheck is going to celebrate your better-late-than-never favorites – and ask you why you missed them in the first place.

Our staff unveiled our "Missed It Then, Love It Now" feature with a round of picks during our recent exploration of the summer of 1993. Now it's your turn: Tell us what you missed, and this time, music from any year -- not just 1993 -- is fair game.

I'll get the ball rolling with my own pick, the song "Looking for the Magic" by the Dwight Twilley Band. When this three-minute pop gem came out on an album called Twilley Don’t Mind in 1977, I was barely a year old. But I'll admit, it has been hiding in plain sight for 35 years or so.

It took a recent visit from Eleanor Friedberger to tip me off. The singer-songwriter told Soundcheck host John Schaefer that she listened to the track "on repeat" while writing her recent album Personal Record.

And when we played a clip during the interview, I was hooked. The song sounded like a lost track from one of my favorite albums, Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, except it had been recorded three decades before.

What song, album or artist did you miss then but love now? Tell us in the comments section below, on Twitter at @Soundcheck, or leave a message at 866-939-1612. We might use your story on the show.

Tags:

More in:

Calvin from New York City

hi, it's me again. There is another CD that I missed when it was released. Give it a try, it's kind of BEACH BOY-ish (Pop-Rock) : "LONELY AVENUE" by BEN FOLDS/NICK HORNSBY.

Jul. 26 2013 10:50 PM
Thomasina from Brooklyn

I've had a real yearning, recently, to hear Billy Joel. I never bought his music before—it was part of a time when I was living a busy busy life and I heard it as I passed through. Now I can't stop listening to Its a Matter of Trust, We Didn't Start the Fire, and Goodbye Saigon. I yearn to hear him singing out again—about Trayvon,and the situation of all black men and boys in America—and against the disparity in the economy—like he did with Allentown, and the illness of the earth as he did with Downeaster Alexis. I need Billy Joel right now. Come on, Billy!!!

Jul. 24 2013 11:28 PM
Casey from Kansas City

When I was a teenager and Ricky Nelson was performing on Ozzie and Harriet, I did not want to act like a "crazy teenage girl", I didn't like him at all. Finally, about 30/35 years later I began to appreciate him - now he is one of my favorites. Am I too old now to act like a crazy teenage girl when I hear his songs?

Jul. 23 2013 11:48 PM
Stephanie from NYC

The group's name is The Monochrome Set, and the song is called The Monochrome Set. Arch, brilliant, irresistibly catchy, fabulously smart lyrics. A friend put it on my Facebook page, and that was it. How anyone missed this in 1979 is impossible to fathom. But the Monochrome Set rules my iPod when smart music is needed.

Jul. 23 2013 09:34 PM
Paulo Bento from Porto, Portugal

Let me preface by saying that even though I admire their music I am not a devout Pink Floyd fan. So it was a pleasant surprise when I was invited by a friend at the last minute to see Roger Waters live at Lisbon's Rock in Rio summer festival in 2006...I must say that even though "The Final Cut" - an album that I had totally missed in 1983 - was their least critically acclaimed work, the socially politically charged lyrics remain very much concurrent in present day affairs. Being now in my late forties I particularly like the song "Paranoid Eyes" which seems to touch on my own unfulfilled dreams as he sings "...the pie in the sky turn out to be miles to high..."

Jul. 23 2013 06:24 PM
VC from New York City

BUILT TO SPILL! I'd heard of the band for years & years before I ever listened to a single track by them. It wasn't until they were going to be in NYC about 7 years ago, that I took the plunge. Bought a couple of albums and listened to them only 1x before the show. I always tell me friends: that night "I was beamed up." How did I miss these guys back in the 90's? Doug Martsch is not your typical rock star - and that's ok by me. When I hear "Time Trap" from Keep It Like a Secret, it's like the whole of my life is flashing behind me. {Yes, I meant "behind me"). Stop The Show from Perfect From Now On - is one of the best rides musical I've ever taken. Conventional Wisdom from You in Reverse builds to an amazing guitar crescendo. Just a Habit is like swimming in a music dream. I could go on - but truly, this band was a very late find for me. Strange from Ancient Melodies is probably the most accessible to start. From there you'll have to, yeah, "build up" and then, uh, spill.

Jul. 23 2013 05:22 PM
Susan from Bronx

In the 80s I was making up for lost time by listening to the British punk bands that'd had the first wave of their hey-days (some are still touring today!) in the 70s. I all but ignored the current music at that time, deeming much of it to be too bland and lacking in that punk edginess. One of the bands I dismissed back then was The Replacements. Listening to tracks now like "Bastards of Young" and "Alex Chilton," I wonder what I could have been thinking, assuming these guys didn't have all the riotous energy of their punk predecessors.

Jul. 23 2013 04:59 PM
Calvin from New York City

In the 1970 & 1980's I spent alot of money buying music. Since I now live on a fixed income (SSI),
I can no longer afford to buy CD's. I do spend approximately $ 150.00 a year buying select music
tracks from Itunes and borrow CD's from the public library (about 10 CD's/per week).
I load them onto my computer's exterior hard drive (23,000 songs/460 GB) The public library is usually one year behind the times. Due to my limited budget, I MISSED hearing this music
when they were first released to the public. THESE are the three (3) at the top of my list:
1. TORTOISE (with Bonnie "Prince" Billy) 2006 They do a remarkable version of Bruce Springsteen's
THUNDER ROAD (6:28) I borrowed the CD- "THE BRAVE & THE BOLD" from the library.
This track is not available through Itunes. ALT ROCK
2. THE BLACK KEYS (BROTHER) 2010 The entire album is GREAT. I especially like 10 CENT PISTOL
(4:29) and TIGHTEN UP (3:31) ALT ROCK/R&B
3. SUBA (SAO PAULO CONFESSIONS) 2000 NA NEBLINA (4:43) ELECTRONICA
He was a Brazilian electronic recording artist who died in a fire (around 2001).

Jul. 23 2013 02:20 PM
Ted from Kitchener, ON

When Stevie Wonder was recording in the 70s I did not like his music very much. A few songs were very good (like Sir Duke) but I did not like that kind of 'funky' music and preferred more of a 'pop' or rock sound (Beatles, Nilsson, Bowie, Eno, King Crimson etc.). But just last year I bought Songs in the Key of Life on iTunes and I love it! It is amazing how talented Stevie Wonder is/was. He wrote all the songs, played many of the instruments, combined great melodies with socially conscious lyrics. This is the REAL DEAL and I am now old enough to appreciate it as a magnificent work of art.

Jul. 23 2013 11:30 AM
Carolina from New York

I think I'd have my music critic card revoked, but I completely missed the boat on the Pixies till about 1993, when they'd already broken up. I'd turned away from rock and was listening to more world music: African, Arab, Latin American, Eastern European. And then my roommate played "Isla del Encanta" and I was charmed.

Jul. 22 2013 06:26 PM
Matt

Your excellent pick of Dwight Twilley reminded me of my own personal quest I undertook about six years ago to listen to every unknown, forgotten or hidden gem from the world of power pop. My biggest discovery at that time was Jason Falkner, whose 1996 and 1999 records are incredible but I missed at the time. This also led me to Falkner's "supergroup" The Grays with Jon Brion (of Aimee Mann / Fiona Apple producing fame) and their also excellent 1994 album Ro Sham Bo.

Jul. 22 2013 05:32 PM