Jad Abumrad's AM JAMZ

Friday, April 16, 2010

We want to hear what you listen to on your commute. Check out today's featured playlist – then submit yours.

Jad Abumrad's fascination with sound is all over Radiolab, the show he co-hosts on WNYC.  As with most things, Jad has a thoughtful way of describing his commute: he says he's usually in a state of "cosmic pessimism" when he's on the train.  Appropriately, Jad's list has the kind of uterine songs condusive to deep thinking.  Think deeply about his playlist and submit your own below!

Featured Playlist: Jad Abumrad

Start: Lafayette Ave. (Brooklyn)

Stop: Spring Street

Jam #1: Nadja - "Long Dark Twenties"

Jam #2: Alva Noto - "T3"

Jam #3: Pantha du Prince - "Asha"

Tags:

More in:

kathleen townes from .ann arbor michigan

Yes, definitely ASHA. is my speed. This cut kinda puts me in suspended animation.

Apr. 29 2010 11:01 PM
BrittLee from NYC

I too love The Books. soooooo goood.

Apr. 29 2010 04:47 PM
J. Houle from MA & Athens, GA

I have a feeling Jad, and many other listeners of RadioLab would really enjoy The Books. They're two guys who are incredibly talented musicians who incorporate a lot of found sound into their pieces. They pull off a great live show too, which you might not expect from a band with so much going on in their productions.

Apr. 27 2010 08:25 PM
Dave B from Drums Along the Hudson, NJ

I'm a music writer/blogger and also a news junkie, so my commute is spent listening to podcasts. Sometimes it's The Takeaway, Deutsche Welle's Inside Europe, or other news programs; other times it's music podcasts from the CBC or KCRW, especially the latter's Morning Becomes Eclectic live in-studio sets. I also enjoy Coverville, a cover-songs podcast.

Apr. 27 2010 12:15 PM
alex from vancouver bc

as if Jad needed any more cool points in my book, he goes and lists Nadja. Great playlist.

Apr. 25 2010 05:44 PM
Suzy Chase from New York City/West Village

Suzy Chase is the host of the longest running R&B Podcast on the internet, TheGrooveRadio.com Suzy is constantly running around the city but this particular commute is to her little boy's nursery school.

Christopher Street #1 to Chambers Street

Song #1- When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You- Marvin Gaye

Song #2- Holdin' On To Yesterday- Ambrosia

Song #3- Heart, Mind & Soul- El DeBarge

Song #4- Over And Over- Shalamar

Apr. 21 2010 07:32 PM
Jason from San Diego, CA

I dig Jad's list (especially Asha), but I would LOVE to hear more of Jad's own work. Every bio online says he's composed for film...which ones? Where's his work at? His "Counting In C" is fantastic, but I wish I could hear more from this guy!

Apr. 18 2010 09:16 PM
chris from Minnesota

I'm playing Jad's jams 1-3 simultaneously, taking out 1 when it's too much. If I lay in a little Robert and Jad, I've got my own Radio Lab. Strangely, Stereolab and Radiohead are the only two cds in my car, and have been for a week....Headstereoradiolabapalooza.

Apr. 18 2010 01:15 AM
Michael Maino from Massapequa Park, NY

I love Jad's playlist. I'm still working on mine.

Apr. 17 2010 05:40 PM
E. Winick from Brooklyn

Honestly? Podcasts. TAL, RadioLab, On the Media, The Moth, and The Tobolowsky Files have all occurpied my eardrums lately. Unless I'm reading a book, in which case the iPod is on shuffle or shuffling a particular artist. This morning, I was reading a book. So: Kinks.

Apr. 16 2010 11:05 AM