How Music Makes You Spend

Friday, May 22, 2009

When stores, restaurants or bars pump up the volume on their sound systems it's believed to energize customers -- but it can also inflict hearing damage on employees. Joining us to explain the impact of loud music on shopping is Adrian North, a professor of applied psychology research at Heriot Watt University in England and author of the book The Social and Applied Psychology of Music.

Weigh in: Do you find that loud music influences your spending habits?

Adrian North

edwin e. montanez from jacob reis houses

dear mr. shafer, it is the waltz and that it is measured in 3/4. is there any guitarist that has played the waltz. i will be monitoring. thank you eddy

May. 24 2009 08:13 AM
angie from long island

On the shopping segment, you played a song that i would like to put on my ipod. Was it called "Live it Loud"? Who is the artist?

May. 22 2009 07:23 PM
Kate Kohli from NJ

Yes I enjoy beboping around at the A and F establishment. I have even danced with the store clerks.
I top it off with skanky clothes and enjoy my 12 year old's major discomfort.
Mean Mommy Kate

May. 22 2009 02:31 PM
Vinny_G from The Upper West Side NYC

I really hate the pseudo-science of Psycho-Economics. I resent being targeted, tracked, profiled or otherwise attempted to be "sold" ANYTHING. George Orwell's caution about mind control concerning Political Thought is dwarfed by the efforts to sell product in last 30 years...

May. 22 2009 02:30 PM
Lillian Fimbres from New York

Visit Abercrombie and Fitch and they have a playlist so you can maintain the complete store experience while shopping on line. Unlike visiting a store in person you do get to turn off the playlist online.

May. 22 2009 02:29 PM
Cory from Crown Point, NY

I always shop online and listen to music whenever I shop (or do anything else as well).

May. 22 2009 02:27 PM
jessica from Colonia, NJ

I am 23 years old and I really hate Abercrombie & Fitch. However, my boyfriends shops there and drags me with him quite frequently. Surprisingly enough the music actually makes me enjoy the experience. It puts me in a better mood and even though its not my style it sometimes gets me browsing the merchandise!

May. 22 2009 02:27 PM
MaryLou Minard from Great Neck, NY

I was shopping in Macy's and they had one kind of music in the china/crystal department and right next door they had different music in the children's department. They were both too loud and conflicting for a few yards into each department. I complained. They still do it.

May. 22 2009 02:26 PM
Allison from Brooklyn

Stupid Ikea plays ALWAYS music that my husband and I like...we feel so much like they are targeting us...it's almost creepy.

May. 22 2009 02:25 PM
Mary Jane from Brooklyn

I would think the loud music does encourage people to by more. Have you ever been driving and heard a rock song you love and then found yourself driving faster. There is something about pounding music that makes us more reckless.

May. 22 2009 02:21 PM
graham from Sayville, NY

Loud music in stores may be the same thing as loud music in bars. Barowners know that loud music makes people drink more and faster.

The Gap plays loud music constantly. Personally, the atmosphere makes me want to leave without buying anything.

May. 22 2009 02:19 PM
LADD from NYC

APART FROM THE MUSIC THE LACK OF SUFFICIENT LIGHTING IN THE AF STORE MAKE IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO DIFFERENTIATE COLOR SHADES. BUT THAT IS ANOTHER TOPIC I GUESS?

May. 22 2009 02:16 PM
Eurydice from Brooklyn

I can't stand loud music in stores where you have to shout to be heard by the sales person. It actually distracts me and I can't focus on shopping. I usually end up walking out of the store w/o buying anything.

May. 22 2009 02:16 PM