The Incomplete Year in Music

Friday, July 31, 2009

On the this final day of July, we look back at the best music released so far in 2009. Three music critics lend a hand: Nate Chinen of the New York Times on rock, pop and rap; Anastasia Tsioulcas of Gramophone magazine on classical and opera; and Will Layman of PopMatters.com on jazz.

View: best of 2009 (so far) lists from our guests

Nate Chinen, Will Layman and Anastasia Tsioulcas

JEFFREY from Manhattan

Jeff,

Not last weekend, but I've seen them at Jazz Gallery and The Jazz Standard several times. I've been following them for a few years now and think he (Pedro) and his band are very special. He's writing and arranging for a traditional big band in a new and special way. They always knock my socks off.

I don't work for them in any way, but I've spoken to Pedro several times and you couldn't find a nicer guy. He deserves to get a wider hearing. I'd love to see John Schaefer check him out.

Glad you posted. You got me going on the subject.

Jeffrey

Aug. 05 2009 04:25 PM
Jeff Putterman from Queens

Jeffrey,

You are correct. Hope you caught them at the Jazz Gallery last weekend. Killin'

Jul. 31 2009 03:51 PM
Jeffrey from upper west side

John —

Do yourself a favor and check out Pedro Giraudo's big band jazz. It's a jolt!

Jul. 31 2009 02:37 PM
Jeffrey from upper west side

I second Pedro Giraudo as one of the most exciting new jazz big bands in a long time. El Viaje is the newest. Desconsuelo preceded it.

Jul. 31 2009 02:18 PM
Jeff Winger

DEER TICK "BORN ON FLAG DAY" -- BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Jul. 31 2009 02:16 PM
John from Park Slope

I'm obsessed with both St. Vincent's Actor and Fever Ray's debut album right now. Judging from The Knife's shows, I can only imagine what the upcoming Fever Ray tour will look like.

Jul. 31 2009 02:15 PM
birder from brooklyn

mastadon-crack the sky
wilco- wilco
black mountain- in the future
bonny prince billy-beware

Jul. 31 2009 02:14 PM
Charlie Roberts from Oceanport, NJ

Can rap/hip hop . . . whatever . . . be considered for a "best of" list at all? Hasn't that genre been completely exhausted?

To these old school white guy rocker ears: "Rap is (still) crap."

Jul. 31 2009 02:13 PM
Doug Johnson from Brooklyn, NY

I totally agree! Excellent year:

St Vincent- Actor
Sonic Youth- the Eternal
The Dead Weather- Horehound
Bat For Lashes- Two Suns
Jon Hassell- Last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street.

-Doug

Jul. 31 2009 02:11 PM
Jeff Putterman from Queens

In jazz two of the best (only of what I have heard) are El Viaje by Pedro Giraudo's Orchestra and Two-Shade by Gerald Clayton's trio.

Both are magnificent.

Jul. 31 2009 02:07 PM
bryan from ny, ny

DEFINITELY rebirth by lil wayne. that album is autotune-tastic.

Jul. 31 2009 01:06 PM