Songs the Kids Should Know

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The digital age has made it easier than ever to share music. But which songs do we want to preserve within our families? Today, in a live broadcast from WNYC's Greene Space, we look at "musical inheritances," the songs we want to pass down to future generations. Joining us are Bebel Gilberto, a singer-songwriter and daughter of the great songwriter Joao Gilberto; and Tom Moon, author of 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die.

Bebel Gilberto performs songs from her upcoming album "All in One" at The Box on Sept. 29

Slideshow: View images of famous musical families

Tell us: Did you inherit a song from your parents? What song do you want to pass down to your children? Tell us about the song.

Bebel Gilberto and Tom Moon

Sillybus from http://www.sillybus.net/

Interesting songs for kids...

Nov. 27 2009 03:08 AM
Noah from Minneapolis

"The Sign" by Ace of Base. It is important that future generations can recoginze crap and move past it quickly. Also, "Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot" by Caramba

Sep. 23 2009 09:03 PM
Gene

Mary Travers' "If I Had a Hammer."

GALVANIZING.

Sep. 23 2009 02:28 PM
CJ from NY

A song to pass down:

Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle"

Sep. 23 2009 02:27 PM
Telegram Sam from Staten Island

Dad: "Bohemian Rhapsody" (seemed to play Night at the Opera nearly every day of my life from ages 1-9)

Mom: "After the Gold Rush" (not much into music; she only had 4 or 5 8-tracks but they were good ones!)

Sep. 23 2009 02:23 PM
Tom from UWS

My mother filled our piano bench with the sheet music she had bought as a kid herself: the hits of the 1930s and 40s. Kern, Porter, Styne and more. It was a great legacy that shaped my taste in music. Deep Purple, Dream, As Time Goes By were part of that gift.

Sep. 23 2009 02:22 PM
Angela from Brooklyn

When I was a teenager (I don't want to do the math) and my dad was alive he loved what I called "bad country" but we had two cross-overs - Johnny Cash, ANYTHING by Johnny Cash, and The Kinks. I remember riding in the car with him, "Folsom Prison Blues " or "Come Dancing" blaring on the radio. I still smile when I think back on those times.

Sep. 23 2009 02:22 PM
Sarah from park slope

On 9-9-09, I saw a father (mid-40s) and his teen-age son leaving the local Gamestop with their brand new Beatles Rock Band set. They both had the same expression on their faces and you could tell they couldn't wait to get home and try it out.

Sep. 23 2009 02:20 PM