Doris Day: The reclusive Hollywood star

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Her "girl next door" looks, charming personality and acting in numerous films such as The Man Who Knew Too Much, Pillow Talk, and Midnight Lace made Doris Day Hollywood's biggest female star from the late 1940s into the early 1960s. While trying to step away from the public limelight in the following decades, she suffered a series of setbacks, both financially and emotionally, that made it all the much harder.

Today we look back at her fascinating career with biographer David Kaufman, author of the book Doris Day: The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door. Also: Singer-songwriter Nellie McKay performs songs from her recently released Doris Day tribute album, Normal as Blueberry Pie, live in our studio.

David Kaufman and Nellie McKay

Doris Day Fan from Indiana

Isolde-Lauren: I didn't get kicked out of anywhere, LOL. Keep attacking people on forums and spreading your lies .... bye-bye credibility! BTW, I have been to many signings with Mary Anne and I WATCH HER sell those books. Sorry to burst your tiny, inconsequential bubble.

Nov. 13 2009 09:36 AM
Hans from Germany

The lady who wrote the intrusion in Ms. Day's life wrote a tiny tome not worth the time. Jealous? Who would be jealous of that? Of what? Being fired from a great lady? The Great Ms. Day should be honored not back stabbed especially after the death of her only son.

Hans

Nov. 09 2009 10:26 PM
Isolde

Rita - Didn't Barothy kick you out of her house? LOL! What a dolt. I have it on very good authority that Barothy can get them in to the book signings but she ain't sellin'. No, I think *you* are on the wrong side of things, Rita. The question has been answered as to what Ms. Day thinks of Barothy and it is that she is a LOW LIFE and that "she can't write." Never were more truer words spoken.

Nov. 09 2009 08:55 PM
Doris Day Fan from Indiana

Looks like the jealous wannabes are at it again, stalking Ms. Barothy on the Internet. No matter what you say, her book is going strong and the DD fans who "get it" are buying! So, Sheila and Lauren, get a life!

Nov. 03 2009 09:03 AM
Sarah from Europe

...and now a comment about David Kaufman.
How can he purport to be an authority on Miss Day's life. His information is all hearsay and assumption.

Had he researched her career instead of surmising about her private life he might have achieved praiseworthy credit.

So, his book too was a big disappointment.

Oct. 31 2009 10:28 AM
Sarah from Europe

Of course DorisDayFan from Indiana would recommend Ms Barothy's so called book...old pal's act and all that!

I'm a DD fan and borrowed the book from someone who was stupid enough to buy it...I was disgusted with the personal and private information Barothy revealed. A friend of Miss Day? No Ms Barothy, friends don't betray their friends.

I agree with Kate from Hoboken, Miss Day's legacy as a singer, all round entertainer and most of all, a wonderful caring, compassionate humanitarian is what we should focus on.

...But for the record, I enjoyed Nellie McKay's album.

Oct. 31 2009 10:08 AM
tavojoe from Venice, FL

I was enchanted with Doris' voice as a youngster, the lilt of her voice on the duet "Love Somebody" (with Buddy Clark) even before I saw her adorable face and snappy personality in her debut movie "Romance on the High Seas." I was "sold" then and it continues.

Nellie is very talented and very funny and I am so happy first of all, that she "gets" Doris Day and that she has done this thoughtful and respectful tribute to her. And I must say that I am really enjoying her ukelele-backed version of "Meditation". Many excellent singers have recorded this song but I'm sensing that Nellie has mined the essence of the song as well as anyone has, including Antonio Carlos Jobim!

Oct. 29 2009 06:21 PM
Doris Day Fan from Indiana

I highly recommend Ms. Barothy's book, "Day at a Time," which is an up close and personal look at a Hollywood icon's human side. The author was a fan who became a friend and confidante ..... how cool is that? Any Doris fan would love this book.

Oct. 29 2009 02:11 AM
mike from brooklyn

and some cherry coke

Oct. 28 2009 03:28 PM
mike from brooklyn

her voice is like butter with a side of hush puppies

Oct. 28 2009 03:00 PM
mike from brooklyn

Yeah ditch the dw (sorry guy), Nellie deserves her show!!

Oct. 28 2009 02:57 PM
Sid Gridlan from CA

I love Doris and she knows it, and that's all I care about.

Oct. 28 2009 02:46 PM
CJ from NY

I'm finding the interview a bit cumbersome between the author's pregnant pauses and the cutting back and forth between the guests. "Nellie, what do you think?"

Oct. 28 2009 02:31 PM
Kate from Hoboken

James from MT: I love Nellie. You've missed the point.

Oct. 28 2009 02:31 PM
Alison from Upper West Side

Thank you Nellie for your tribute to Doris Day. My sister and I were enthralled with her as kids - we listened to the Pillow Talk album until it skipped clear across! I'll have to go out and buy the CD for her for Christmas.

I must also thank Jonathan Schwartz for introducing me to you years ago. I love your work - keep on keepin' on!

Oct. 28 2009 02:29 PM
mozo from nyc

Doris Day had a TV show for a while when I was a kid. I seem to remember an episode where she is given truth serum by either the FBI or CIA. That or I was the one the FBI/CIA dosed.

Nellie McKay. Well, well. Great guests, great show. Thanks.

Oct. 28 2009 02:28 PM
James from Midtown

Kate is complaining about the biographer and Nellie McKay's "working this for herself?" I wonder what Katie would prefer--John Schaefer interviewing himself?

I've been a Nellie McKay fan since her first album. Kudos to you, Nellie. Keep it up!

Oct. 28 2009 02:26 PM
Kate from Hoboken

Kudos to Neliie, however, she's working this for herself now.

But lose this guy who's claiming to be a biographer. Duh, we're all riddled with contradictions/inconsistencies. Next?

Let's focus on her wonderful Big Band work. And yes, the Ruth Etting bio-pic, with DD & Jimmy Cagney.

And whatever she did with Rock Hudson. It captured all the denial of the era.

She's done wonderful work around animal rescue, with her son.

Nellie's got enough going. This biographer, maybe not, from the sound of it.

Doris Day, in her late 80's, deserves the privacy she's long-sought. Play her music. Don't parse out her personal life.

A little respect, please?

Oct. 28 2009 02:22 PM
CJ from NY

Wasn't she a bit of a swinger?

Oct. 28 2009 02:13 PM
Jennifer from NYC

Nellie McKay has a beautiful speaking voice

Oct. 28 2009 02:12 PM
Dorothy from Chelsea

I've heard stories of DD's right wing politics and that she's a close friend to Rush Limbaugh. True?

Oct. 28 2009 02:10 PM
Isolde Poole

Don't waste you time with the tome mentioned above. She didn't even get the name of Miss Day's hometown correct. She says she lives in Pebble Beach when everyone knows it's Carmel, CA. Questionable facts at the end of the small, 40 year old manuscript certainly points of the author hiding certain facts. A waste of time and money.

Oct. 28 2009 12:22 PM
Mary Anne Barothy from Indianapolis

I am so happy with the renewed interest in America's Sweetheart, DORIS DAY! I love David Kaufman's book and look forward to hearing Nellie McKay's tribute album.

I had been a fan since age 10 and in the '70s became Doris Day's personal secretary while she was filming "THE DORIS DAY SHOW" at CBS. It was a thrill to work for her for four years and two of which I lived with her...what an awesome lady!

My book "DAY AT A TIME - An Indiana Girl's Sentimental Journey to Doris Day's Hollywood and Beyond" came about as a result of being interviewed by David Kaufman in 2006.

My book website is:

www.dayatatimesentimentaljourney.com

My book is my memoir and takes the reader on an up-close and personal look at screen legend DORIS DAY - she is awesome and a delightful person who now devotes her life to the care of animals.

Doris is a wonderful, fun-loving lady and I am so happy that she is being remembered by so many - and the greatest part is that young people are being introduced to her.

Thanks for your interest in Doris Day!

Mary Anne Barothy