Gadgets That Haven't Been Invented (Yet)

Friday, November 06, 2009

With the holiday shopping season on the horizon, tech companies are rolling out new MP3 players, iPod accessories, mobile apps and more. New York Times technology columnist David Pogue recently asked his Twitter followers for ideas for gadgets that don't exist. He joins us to share some of the results -- and to field more ideas from our listeners.

Tell us: do you have a gadget in mind that doesn’t exist yet? Leave a comment below.

David Pogue

Allen Morrison from New York

I think that the iPhone/iPod Touch's greatest talent is its ability to do everything in different languages. One day I experimented and changed everything to Hebrew. I wasn't prepared for the fact that ALMOST EVERYTHING on my iPhone, all the text, on most of the apps and ALL the Settings, were suddenly in Hebrew. I CAN'T READ HEBREW! How do I get back to English? Think about it. If Apple doesn't devise a way, could somebody devise an app that would do it? (I finally got back to English, but it was difficult.)

Nov. 06 2009 10:31 PM
david Pogue

"If you have the stats to back that statement, then you can make that generalization. "

The statistic was this: 100% of the participants on the show's feedback board were men. That was Jon's question to me! "How come they're all men?"

But you can find plenty of statistics: number of men vs. women in who go into computer science, for example.

For heaven's sake, it's not a knock on women! It's just a gender trait, like lower voices or facial hair.

--Pogue

Nov. 06 2009 05:18 PM
Denise from London

If you have the stats to back that statement, then you can make that generalization. Otherwise it is just your sense, and how do you know that your sense is true?

Nov. 06 2009 03:20 PM
david Pogue

"David Pogue! Shame on you for such gross generalizations about women and technology!"

It's OK to make a generalization if it's true!

"Most Chinese citizens have black hair." "Most professional athletes are under 45." "Most children like candy."

Are you really questioning that more men than women are gadget freaks!?

(Hint: Nobody's saying "all.")

--Pogue

Nov. 06 2009 02:57 PM
Denise from London

Sincerely, a life long fan and participant in the technology industry.

Nov. 06 2009 02:39 PM
bob from NYC

translation: check what ray kurzweil does with his gadget. he is pretty close to babelfish. r

Nov. 06 2009 02:38 PM
Ted in Atlanta from Design dept.

This IS invented and I thought it was both fun and sort of musical... Out on Halloween we encountered a guy at a loud club with a great shirt on - with a lighting up graphic EQ audio sensor in it... as the music pulsed and was bass or treble, this shirt lit up BRIGHTLY in response, in the bar diagram like on a stereo. Very fun. Probably everywhere in NYC but I had not seen it.

Nov. 06 2009 02:37 PM
marissa from queens

I think the artist David was referring to is Jorge Colombo. He's done two iPhone New Yorker covers and his work has been featured at Jen Bekman's gallery.

Nov. 06 2009 02:35 PM
John from Brooklyn

Was that THE Man Parrish who just called? I still have those groundbreaking hip hop 12" singles he did in the early '80'S: "Boogie Down Bronx" and "Hip Hop, Be Bop, Don't Stop". They embodied so much of what New York was back then.

Nov. 06 2009 02:35 PM
CJ from NY

A guy's desire to spend money on useless crap!

Nov. 06 2009 02:34 PM
David from Manhattan

Holy communion on an Iphone or Blackberry? Turns virtual wine into virtual blood. This may interest Anglicans more than Roman Catholics.

Nov. 06 2009 02:33 PM
Brendan from East Village

Yes, David Pogue, a fine artist is making images on the iPhone: It's David Hockney

Nov. 06 2009 02:32 PM
katie holten from union square

David Hockney is the artist using the iPhone. he has a show at PACE right now

Nov. 06 2009 02:32 PM
helmut from brooklyn

dekooning is dead. is pogue thinking of david hockney?

Nov. 06 2009 02:32 PM
ezra from Manhattan

What if there would be a website or software that would let amateur composers put together a recording of their music using their computer and samples of real instruments?

Nov. 06 2009 02:31 PM
CJ from NY

It's Joel Gray.

Nov. 06 2009 02:31 PM
Steve from Morris Township

Anything out there that allows you to plug your electic guitar or drum to a computer and jam online with people in real time?

Nov. 06 2009 02:29 PM
baroquismo from brooklyn

t-painful and hilarious, John!

Nov. 06 2009 02:29 PM
CJ from NY

This show is starting to sound like an info-merical for i-phone applications.

Nov. 06 2009 02:28 PM
miguel Mendez from brooklyn

i got an easy one. how 'bout a party cell phone with built in bottle opener and lighter 'cause people who listen to music love to party.

Nov. 06 2009 02:26 PM
Tony from Brooklyn

Hank Heijink (NYC theorbo and lutenist) has created a chromatic tuner that does historic temperaments for the iPhone that is incredibly useful and popular amongst early musicians

Nov. 06 2009 02:24 PM
Ted in Atlanta from Design dept.

I'd like a "shoulda said" recombinator megaphone; always at the ready for helping scrub dialogue and create a street savvy, brilliant yet witty response cobbled from my own jumbled stammering attempt at it. Speak into it, it thinks about what is appropriate and what maybe would be better omitted... it edits, corrects for proper English for the grammatically challenged - and out comes a crisp cool epithet ready for prime time.

Or just a time machine would be ok, then 5 minutes later when I realize what I "shoulda said"...

Nov. 06 2009 02:20 PM
CJ from NY

None of these items are truly innovative. The eletric guitar, the cd, The BOSE radio and the i-pod are all innovative.

I-phone app.s? Do we really need people distracted by anything else when they are supposed to be driving?

Nov. 06 2009 02:19 PM
Kate from Riverdale

OK, this is the best--when you are stuck in traffic and listening to music, you know how you drum on the steering wheel? How about a steering wheel attachment that has synthesized electronic drum sounds all around the outside of it, so as you bang on it you can really play along with the music you're listening to!!!

Nov. 06 2009 02:15 PM
Chris Mooney from Brooklyn

Is there a way to build in a small scale into the iPhone?

Nov. 06 2009 02:13 PM
John Loughlin from New Jersey

Nearly everyone has 2 things in their pocket; a set of keys and a cell phone. Why not combine the functions. There are locks that exist are suitible.

Nov. 06 2009 02:12 PM
MG from NYC

The small battery charger for my new Sony Cybershot has retractable prongs and it's a great development.

Nov. 06 2009 02:11 PM
Kim from new york

Need a microwave-type appliance to chill and/or freeze water as quickly as a microwave heats stuff up.

Nov. 06 2009 02:04 PM
MG from NYC

How about an iPod that has a life longer than 3 years?

I really resent having to buy a new one with such frequency, though I love the larger capacity.

My 80Gb is just reaching the 3-year mark and is quite full now, so I guess I'm due...

Why can't we have an iPod that let's us increase the GBs without having to buy a whole new apparatus?

Nov. 06 2009 01:47 PM
Jeff from Manhattan

I'd like to see a smartphone with a decent built-in FM radio. Does such a thing exist? I tend to suspect terrestrial radio is an afterthought in tech development these days.

Nov. 06 2009 01:12 PM
Robin from Baltimore, Md

We are still waiting for the video-phone. How about a video camera on the user side of the phone, say the Iphone, so that when I talk to my friend (with bluetooth or on speakerphone) we can see each others face. I could point my phone at something and the person I am talking to can see what I am talking about. I think the technology is already there, lets see it put into a product.

Nov. 06 2009 12:38 PM
Drago from Queens

I'd love to see a surfboard that plays Beach Boys songs when it gets wet.

Nov. 05 2009 07:08 PM
Jason

How about something that will neutralize music we are forced to listen to - like in stores or the rude people blaring noise out of their car or on the subway where it isn't just the mariachi band on the L train you don't want to hear when you have a headache, it is also those who don't understand that the whole concept of earphones is so nobody else hears what you listen to.

Nov. 05 2009 04:54 PM