Last week, the Billboard charts met their first real challenger. The Ultimate Chart is a list that ranks artists and singles not just by sales and airplay, but also by their status on streaming services and social networks. Eric Garland, chief executive of the Ultimate Chart’s parent company BigChampagne, joins us to explain the chart’s genesis. Then: in a Soundcheck Smackdown, critics debate whether any pop chart can quantify success in the digital age. Guests include Maura Johnston, music writer and blogger, and Bill Wyman, editor of the blog Hitsville and former arts editor of NPR and Salon.com.
1. Justin Bieber - Baby
2. Shakira - Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)
3. Eminem ft. Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie
4. Elton John - Candle in the Wind (1997 version)
5. Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey
6. Christina Aguilera - Not Myself Tonight