Smackdown: Hall of Shame

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its short list of nominees last week. The list of candidates for induction next year includes The J. Geils Band, Bon Jovi, Donovan and Neil Diamond. Our Smackdown guests were a little underwhelmed.

Today: E-Music editor-in-chief J. Edward Keyes and music writer Jaime Lowe make their case for a nominee that should NOT be inducted into the Hall. But first, LA Times pop critic Ann Powers will introduce this year’s crop of nominees and explain why they’re on the list.

Tell us: Which of this year's Hall of Fame nominees left you scratching your head? Vote in our online poll -- or leave a comment below.

J. Edward Keyes, Jaime Lowe and Ann Powers

Stephanie

Anyone who thinks that Bon Jovi is just their albums from the '80's is in no way qualified to judge them as, what was it? "Soulless? They have released 12 albums, 2 greatest hits, a huge box set and a complete innovative reworking of all of their biggest hits. They have sold over 120 million albums in their long, long career and the musicians in their band are amazingly talented and respected by all other musicians that everyone here loves to gush over. Before anyone gets all judgemental I ask them to take a listen to the Keep The Faith or These Days CD's. They are not just "hair music" from the '80's. Their music makes people happy. Which is more than many of these other inducted bands or so called music critics can claim. They have been thru the ups and downs of the music industry and survived more popular than ever performing to millions of people every year (as attested to by their constant ranking as top tour each year) Also, don't hate if they get in before another band that you may love. That isn't their fault or their problem. And admit it...you secretly play Living on a Prayer or Wanted Dead or Alive and wish it were you on that stage singing to millions of people.

Oct. 07 2010 02:06 PM
Alexander

The rock n roll hall of fame is an umbrella organization for all forms of rock music.
Michael Jackson and Madonna are rock singers.

What is rock music?
Rock is a generic term that includes the black rock and roll (soul, funk, disco, dance, hip hop, etc) and the white rock and roll (punk, new wave, hard rock, heavy metal, techno wave, etc)

Michael Jackson is musically the "king of rock music" SINCE 1984 , and Madonna the "queen of rock music" SINCE 1985.
In 1989 JACKSON was awarded with the triple crown "king of pop, rock and soul" (the king of popular music, rock music, and soul music)

The rock superstar Michael Jackson did the black rock (soul, funk, disco, dance, hip hop/new jack swing) and the white rock (hard rock), it is enough to consider him the true king of rock music.
Madonna did the black rock (disco, dance) and the white rock (new wave)
She is the true queen of rock.
`
The term pop is just an abbreviation of popular. Pop is short for popular.
Pop music is just popular music, an generic term that includes blues, rock, country, etc, it is all genre or style different of classical music

Oct. 07 2010 12:49 PM
Tom VanDeGrift from Detroit

J Geils Band only had one big song? Centerfold wasn't even at the top of my list of their songs. They have all sorts of good and/or popular songs. My first thought was "Love Stinks." Also "Detroit Breaksown," the live album, etc.

Definitely keep J Geils Band. Not as big as Tom Waites, but worthy of election.

Oct. 06 2010 02:35 PM
Ridge from Florida

Regardless, Bon Jovi is still putting out records, he deserves to be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Oct. 06 2010 10:36 AM
some dude from india from mumbai

Bonjovi has cut some pretty decent records...."New Jersey (1989)" will make it to the fame. but wtf with LLcoolJ?????

Oct. 06 2010 01:24 AM
Linda B from Oswego NY

I think the benchmark for nominees should be: The Beatles.
How does the nominee measure up to the accomplishments of The Beatles. How many people did they influence? How many bands (that have MADE it) were influenced by the nominee? Was the nominee unique in their place in rock n roll while doing whatever they did?
I think that would leave a lot of these groups on the list out. I think it would put in some that haven't been mentioned.
1. Neil Diamond was doing things like "Candy Baby", "Sweet Caroline" etc, etc, and back in the day, you couldn't have the radio on for 30 minutes and not hear one of his songs. And he's got longevity. And he was unique in his presentation and style back in the day.
2. I am def for Nile Rogers (but maybe not Chic)...he DID influence a big hit by Queen...along with the other "big bottom bass" sound.
3. Bon Jovi's producers and engineers should be nominated...the sound quality of Bon Jovi's music is what set them apart.

4. And another vote for Laura Nyro. Like Carole King, Nyro wrote songs that were covered by many people (Linda Rondstadt for one) and she really was a talented songwriter whose influence indeed is a quiet, but big one.

5. And another vote for Joy Division. There are so many bands from the 90s to now who have been influenced by them-- The National, Interpol to name just two. JD covers a base from which a lot of music (that maybe is called "Emo" now?) comes from.

Oct. 05 2010 11:13 PM
12-String Frank from Staten Island, NY

The Rock-n-Roll Hall of Shame, in its infinite wisdom, has again decided to ignore progressive rock bands in their new round of inductions. Excluded again are Rush, Yes, Moody Blues, and Jethro Tull, and Fairport Convention, especially Richard Thompson. This is a disgrace!

I thought that last year with the inclusion of Genesis, the RnRHoF would at least induct Rush since there had been a bit of a campaign to get them into the Hall. Clearly, the people who make the decisions are a minority of snooty and haughty critics who have no idea about music, and what music attracts enduring fans.

Until the anti-prog-rock snobs of the Hall are retired or removed, great bands that have thrilled millions of fans will not be inducted. What a shame!

Oct. 05 2010 10:07 PM
Michael from Brooklyn

Joe Tex was a hell of a lot more than just "I Gotcha" (even though that song alone should qualify him considering the scope of its influence.) Tex was a hugely influential R&B soul shouter on everyone from his contemporaries right up through Terence Trent D'arby, Prince and hip hop. That said, it's puzzling as to why many other contemporaries of Tex (who were equally as good) did not get in.

I'm not a huge Neil Diamond fan, as I never cared for his voice and he is responsible for some of the cheesiest schlock ever written ("America" and what has become every frat karaoke singalong "Sweet Caroline" GAG!). But he has also penned some of the catchiest, most rocking pop ditties ever written ("Cherry Cherry", "Thank The Lord For The Night Time" and yes, some great Monkees tunes) and so an argument could be made for him.

Donovan - definitely deserves to be in a beautiful genius songwriter's Hall of Fame. As for rock and roll, well, that's iffy, but he was rocking enough at times to secure blistering guitar work from Jimmy Page ("Hurdy Gurdy Man") and Jeff Beck ("Goo Goo Barabajagal"), so an argument for him could definitely be made.

As for who is Laura Nyro...erm, only one of the greatest and most prolific songwriters ever. You hear her songs every day without even realizing she's behind them. But...she herself was not a rocker. At all.

Oct. 05 2010 10:07 PM
rock on

I love all kinds of rock music but what baffles me is how people like Donna Summer or LL Cool J - whom I both like get nominated into a rock hall of fame. To me some of those nominated are not what I consider rock. I think some of them are a shoe in such as Alice Cooper and Neil Diamond and I am happy to see it. I would love for Bon Jovi to make the cut also. Alot of people dog them but I think they do have good songs and writing ability.

Oct. 05 2010 07:36 PM
Evan

I like Tom Waits. I've seen him in concert. I loathe KISS. Having said that, they deserve to be in more than Tom Waits does. Sorry, but Tom Waits is beloved by music writers and wanna be avant-garde types, but KISS has had a much huger impact on music.

Oct. 05 2010 06:24 PM
Paul from Brooklyn

The mere presence of Tom Waits on the same ballot as the rest of these bands has me dumbfounded. The fact that Tom wasn't inducted in his first year of eligibilty is kind of ridiculous to me. Seeing his name in this company is like finding a Picasso at a garage sale.

Oct. 05 2010 05:56 PM
Evan

To belabor the HoF analogy, Bon Jovi is to the RRHOF like Tommy John is to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Long career, good record but just not quite there.

Oct. 05 2010 05:48 PM
Alan from Durham, NC

I don't have any serious arguments about this year's nominees. They won't all get in. The ones that I have a small argument about would be Bon Jovie and J. Geils. Not influential enough. The ones I have a medium argument about would be Chic and Donna Summer. To narrow a scope and not influential enough. The most deserving of all this year is Alice Cooper. The Alice Cooper band started around 45 years ago when they were still in high school. The were without a doubt the biggest band in the world for about a 3 year period. Alice himself, is still putting out pretty good albums and live stage shows while the others from the original band are still recording and touring with their own bands. The Alice Cooper band should have been one of the first inducted. Hundreds of big bands cite them as a great influence. Jan Wenner has always had some kind of animosity for them for whatever reason. Go Alice Cooper band.

Oct. 05 2010 04:56 PM
kerry nolan from NJ for now

Jon Bon Jovi would still be sweeping the floor in his uncle's recording studio if it weren't for songwriter Desmond Child. JBJ is a hack who has been "Livin' on his hair" for 25 years. That they still sell concert tickets is no measure of quality. You can find equally awful shows selling out in Branson, Missouri. Or Vegas. Or the Garden, for that matter.

J Geils Band absolutely deserves the nod.

Neil Diamond is one of the
greats, "Evergreen" notwithstanding.

The truth is that the best rock 'n' roll hall of fame is your own record collection. You don't need no stinking museum :-)

Oct. 05 2010 04:51 PM
Google the Oct8pus from NYC

Bon Jovi released a catchy pop-rock album in the 80's that was billed for the most part as a 'metal' album (presumably for the length of the band members' hair). This album contained two or three catchy tunes and nothing more. Sure, classic rock stations still play those songs, but classic rock station play a lot of dreck...

Oct. 05 2010 04:40 PM
Darry from Washington DC

@Eric K I agree. What exactly is the criteria for getting into the R&R HoF? I would hope it's because of overwhelming talent, e.g. the Beatles, or sheer force of influence, e.g. the Velvet Underground. Bands like the Jam, Joy Division, Ministry, the Smiths, and the Cure signify moments in rock history where there was a sea change worthy of recognition. What exactly has Bon Jovi added to the canon of rock that is either as a result of virtuousity or a creative break from the status quo? Hummable, anthemic choruses are not unique; U2 mastered it.

Oct. 05 2010 04:33 PM
Sue from West Village, NYC

Ummmm, I think I might be missing something. I understand the guideline about "making a lasting impact," but what about the genre of music? While I don't really mind Donna Summer, Chic and I actually like LL Cool J, I don't understand how this would be considered "rock and roll" and therefore don't know why they are even nominated. If making a lasting impact is the criteria, why not nominate Frank Sinatra or Bach, or Neil Diamond, for that matter????

Oct. 05 2010 04:29 PM
Dave from NJ

And another thing.....
LL Cool J gets nominated when Public Enemy is not in yet? HA! (Not to mention Sugarhill Gang, DJ Kool Herc and Afrika Bombaattaa...If they are going to include non-rock genres, and hey, why not.)

Oct. 05 2010 03:20 PM
Dave in NJ from NJ

OK, Neil Diamond should get in just for Cherry Cherry, Solitary Man and I'm a Believer (despite the pablum he went on to produce later).

J. Geils is beloved by the over-40 crowd and deserves to get in for sheer longevity and their pre-Centerfold rockin' days.

Jovi get in for his massive sales and marketing (and nothing else).

Joe Tex? Always thought he was a one-hit wonder (with "I gotcha").

Sorely missing? XTC, The Jam and Big Star.

Oct. 05 2010 02:57 PM
Mark from NJ

Geez, if Rod Stewart can be in the Hall, given his slide from rocker to crooner, I say bring on Neil Diamond and swing the doors wide open.

Oct. 05 2010 02:48 PM
Howard W from Rockland Co

After the first few years, these Hall of Fame nominations always become popularity contests. You can argue about 'influence' as much as you like, and mutter that your favourite act wasn't nominated, but after a while Neil Diamond is going to make it in, anyway.

On that basis, I say thumbs up to J. Geils. When I was in a crummy bar band in the early eighties we played half their 70s repertoire. We did not play Joy Division or XTC. So there - solid, irrefutable proof of the Geils influence :)

Oct. 05 2010 02:43 PM
Jeff from Brooklyn

Did someone say Donovan? He gets my vote. Not only is one of the greatest songwriters of all time but he should also be credited with the formation of Led Zeppelin.

Oct. 05 2010 02:41 PM
Cynthia from long island

Please deete the comment with my email displayed. Thanks.

Oct. 05 2010 02:40 PM
Eva

Bon Jovi stills packs arenas and their music has weathered well over the years. Of course they deserve a spot.

Oct. 05 2010 02:38 PM
al from brooklyn

Please this some hogwash.

WHo really cares who gets to join Billy Joel & Jackson Browne in the R&R HOF. The hall has always been a joke. Why does Eric Clapton need to be in there 4 tmes before say, Richard Thompson gets in.

Hog wash I says.

Oct. 05 2010 02:37 PM
Vinny

L L Cool J
What?

Oct. 05 2010 02:37 PM
greg from Brooklyn

I'm embarressed to say it now but when I was six, Bon Jovi was what made me want to play Rock n Roll. But I highly doubt anyone would ever say that my sound must have been influenced by Bon Jovi. and J Guiles Band seemed cheesy to me even when I was six. Screw it both are out!

Oct. 05 2010 02:37 PM
Jeanne from Brooklyn

Don't forget, bands can get in even if they don't make it on their first year of eligibility. But let's be honest, should Bon Jovi and J. Geils been nominated in the same year that Iron Maiden and Roxy Music were eligible?

Oct. 05 2010 02:37 PM
keith from nyc

BON JOVI - OUT!!! Superficial, shallow, self absorbed, commercial!

J Geils - IN!!! They shaped my listening culture in the 70s. If you are over 45, you will know what I mean.

Oct. 05 2010 02:37 PM
Alex from Brooklyn

What about Jane's Addiction? They've influenced countless bands not only through playing but even developing Lollapaloza.

Oct. 05 2010 02:36 PM
upper east jeff

Bad Brains in 2011!

Oct. 05 2010 02:36 PM
Cynthia from long island

Ringo Starr wouldn't be famous if he wasn't a beatle.

Oct. 05 2010 02:36 PM
Jay from NJ

Bon Jovi in no way, shape or form should be in the HoF before a band like Rush.

No fanboy here just a reality of how many bands have been influenced by Rush vs BonJovi.

Oct. 05 2010 02:35 PM
kate M. from Nutley

The woman who is on the radio is a writer. All she is listening to is the words. I don't even listen to the words when I listen to music. Bon Jovi isn't bad when you listen to the music only.

Oct. 05 2010 02:35 PM
Nancy

Bon Jovi is like Nickelback, they're both terrible bands but somehow people embrace them. Awful!!

Oct. 05 2010 02:34 PM
JT from LI

Music allows everyone to act like an expert and defend their choices. Reminds me of Jack Black in "High Fidelity".

Oct. 05 2010 02:34 PM
Carey from Southern Illinois, formerly NJ

J. Geils Band and Bon Jovi are just obscurities in Rock N' Roll fame, what about Captain Beefheart or Dick Dale. If we're inducting obscure artists, I think we need to dig a little deeper.

Bon Jovi over disco or Rap/Hip Hop, unless you're talking about records produced by Rick Rubin.

Oct. 05 2010 02:33 PM
J. Lewis from NYC

I'm not a JG or JBJ fan, but I'll definitely sing along to their songs when I'm driving. I defend their nominations, however, bc each year there are several nominees I've never heard of--those "musician's musicians" types. Sorry, but who is Laura Nyro?

Oct. 05 2010 02:33 PM
db from bushwick

are you guys serious? who cares? getting into the rock & roll hall of fame is just a tiny step above getting a plaque at the hard rock cafe...

Oct. 05 2010 02:33 PM
Cynthia from long island

Between J Geils Band and Bon Jovi, Bon jovi out. Bon Jovi is quintessential corporate rock. J Geils has Blues-Back cred. and Peter Wolf has deep musical roots with cats like John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters.

Oct. 05 2010 02:32 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Bon Jovi "influenced all other music"...LOL!!!

Oct. 05 2010 02:32 PM
Jeff from Brooklyn

Oct. 05 2010 02:32 PM
TC

It is important to recognize what the Hall of Fame has actually become. It is not really the "Rock N Roll" hall of fame any longer. Inductees like Madonna (who I love, btw) and Michael Jackson are certainly not "rock" performers, but have had a HUGE popular influence. Bon Jovi fits that bill, as do the Beastie Boys and Donna Summer, but not the J. Geils Band.

Oct. 05 2010 02:31 PM
Ellen from CT

Yes I spelled bred, bread....sorry.

Oct. 05 2010 02:31 PM
paulie b from Brooklyn

I'm not a fan of either band, but I don't see why they can't be inducted into the Hall Of Fame as its ultimately just a has been list of burnt out pop and rock stars. It really doesn't matter.

Oct. 05 2010 02:31 PM
ben from Brooklyn, NY

To respond the last caller regarding Bon Jovi's lyrical ability at 16, I think Billy Strayhorn wrote "Lush Life" at 17. It's all about the songs and Bon Jovi don't have em.

As for J Geils, that band really rocked. Check out live albums like "Showtime". J Geils was my first rock band so I'm biased but have a lot of great songs. "Love Stinks"!

Oct. 05 2010 02:31 PM
Dan from manhattan from nyc

You guys are so elitist!Chic and Donna Summer were great pop but disco pop the enemy of rock! Who is Chuck Willis? Where is Kiss?! Neil Diamond is a wedding/bar mitzvah singer(tin pan alley?).

Oct. 05 2010 02:31 PM
Lindsey from Washington Heights

The Hall lost credibility years ago as the best of the best. Bob Seger? Van Halen? Gimme a break, like.

Stones, Dylan, Beatles, Hendrix - any arguments there?

Oct. 05 2010 02:30 PM
Ellen from CT

Dude, I've heard Bon Jovi played in in pubs across Europe from the Czech Republic to Dublin....and although I was born and bread in the Bay State my heart beats for the Jersey Shore!

Oct. 05 2010 02:30 PM
Ellen from CT

Oct. 05 2010 02:30 PM
Wellington L. from NYC

Is there really any specific criteria for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Influence on other musicians, record sales, most tour dates, most tickets sold, influence on society? There is no specific criteria.

Although not an apples to apples comparison, most of the time anyone with great statistical performance gets into the hall of fame.

I realize music is completely subjective, but they do give out awards for the numbers of records sold.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a manufactured institution for the sake of making a couple of bucks, so we're arguing about an ant hill.

BTW, Bon Jovi should make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Oct. 05 2010 02:29 PM
Matt from Linden, NJ

If you've ever been to Sayerville, NJ, you'd know that BonJovi qualifies as that towns Bob Dylan. Like it or not, BonJovi created songs that are the soundtrack for the middle to late 80's. For this he belongs in the Hall of Fame!

Oct. 05 2010 02:29 PM
Sarah D.

Any hall of fame that doesn't include the Smiths is a complete and utter shame.

Oct. 05 2010 02:26 PM
Steve from Baldwin, NY

They nominate Bon Jovi but Ringo Starr has yet to be nominated???!?!?

Oct. 05 2010 02:26 PM
Sarah D.

Any hall of fame that doesn't include the Smiths is a complete and utter shame.

Oct. 05 2010 02:26 PM
Thomas from JGeilsworshiplandburg

You know, there's three things that you don't discuss in the bar - politics, religion and J. Geils band's most amazing contribution to music and society as a whole. We all know this!

Oct. 05 2010 02:26 PM
Maldo from Manhattan

Despite what Ann Powers claimed about the allegedly waning influence of the HoF founders, Peter Wolf from the J. Geils Band is an old buddy of Jann Wenner, hence the nomination, pure and simple.

Oct. 05 2010 02:25 PM
Ed

I've never been a big fan of theirs, but
one thing you have to keep in mind about Geils is that they were along with the Allmans the top touring band of the 1970s.

Oct. 05 2010 02:24 PM
Mark from Westchester

I loved the J. Geils band, very consistent, always exciting. Maybe not cerebral, but that was the point. In one of the strangest bills ever, early 70's saw J. Geils headline in Buffalo, wonderful....opening act? Yes.

Oct. 05 2010 02:24 PM
Ed

I've never been a big fan of theirs, but
one thing you have to keep in mind about Geils is that they were along with the Allmans the top touring band of the 1980s.

Oct. 05 2010 02:23 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Coooommmme on!
I've read MANY more interviews with bands who cite someone like Joy Division as an influence

Never read one where someone cited the J.Geils Band as an influence. No impact is right!

Having a good album or a hit doesn't equate to influence or wide impact.

Oct. 05 2010 02:21 PM
Cynthia from cynthialenz@verizon.net

You are guys are taking far too seriously. It's the Rock and Roll Hall of FAME; not the R and R Hall of Amazing Song-writing.

Oct. 05 2010 02:21 PM
birder from brooklyn

ok i have to say how happy it makes me to see alice cooper on this list. kind of just made my day. if people only knew everything this band has done.

Oct. 05 2010 02:17 PM
Frank Grimaldi from East Village

Can understand Neil Diamond being on the list because he was a behind the scenes songwriter for the Monkeys. But I think Joe Tex needs to be off the list - If I'm wrong - educate me - all I remember is "I Gotcha."

Oct. 05 2010 02:17 PM
PETE from bk

Don't you see people: they need to expand the styles they add to the hall so they can continue to exist: they have basically become a Good Housekeeping seal for Pop music but definitely not a Rock n Roll hall of fame

Oct. 05 2010 02:16 PM
Sunshine Hernandez

I think the list is awesome! I'm 35yrs old and I have seen music do a total transformation...meaning that "types" of music have totally meshed together and that we have to accept that it will continue that way

Oct. 05 2010 02:14 PM
Dave from NYC

Where are The Shangri-Las?

Oct. 05 2010 02:13 PM
Stephanie from New Jersey

The most egregious HoF oversight is XTC, eligible since 2002 but, sadly, not to be nominated (let alone inducted) until Hell freezes over. It seems their take on rock was too eclectic, mutable and arty, or something... damned if I can figure out why they've gotten the cold shoulder.

Oct. 05 2010 02:12 PM
gary from Port Washington

The J. Geils band definitely should be there. They recorded on of the best live album in the history of Rock n Roll with Full House. Except for The Who Live at Leeds and Get Your Ya Ya Out from the Rolling Stones there isn't a better live album. And the Beastie Boys also belong - they are great rappers and broke Rap over to a white audience and then the world. You have to fight for your right to Party - I guess.

Oct. 05 2010 02:10 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Sorry, J.Geils fails the very first criteria mentioned in this segment...

Oct. 05 2010 02:09 PM
JP from New Jersey

The very name of the institution says it all -- Hall of Fame -- but we shouldn't confuse who is famous with who is good.

Oct. 05 2010 02:08 PM
PETE from BK

When did the Rock n Roll hall of fame become this rarefied thing? People are acting like having Bon Jovi inducted would be like scrawling profanity across its walls.

Oct. 05 2010 02:06 PM
Cynthia from long island

You can definitely make an argument for J. Geils Band and even Donovan... and as much as I can't stand them; Bon Jovi is an enduring rock-pop icon for the eighties generation.

I think what irks people about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not that the nominees don't deserve inclusion, it's more that older acts who may deserve it more, continually get passed over.

Oct. 05 2010 02:03 PM
Kevin from chelsea

You just played a bit of "Hot Stuff." I remember listening to WNEW-FM, Dave Herman, who played this song only after about 5 minutes of pleading listeners to be tolerant and have open minds. I guess Dave thought it was rock 'n roll.

Oct. 05 2010 02:03 PM
PETE from BK

Neil Diamond a rock star? He wrote Monkees songs for crapssake?! He is good but he's not a "rock star".

The rock n roll hall of fame needs to stop being an umbrella organization for all forns of pop music; they need to get back to the rockin'.

Oct. 05 2010 01:55 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

The J.Geils band?????

Personally I see no reason for the J.Geils Band to get in. Personally, I've never once read an interview of anyone saying how much they were influenced by the J.Geils Band. One can't even credibly say they were innovative in any way. They had one or two hits...that's it.

What is the Hall of Fame's criteria? Just whether they were classic rock and once had a hit and are permanent classic rock radio listplay rotation or is it innovation, influence and/or longevity? If it's the former...sure J. Geils deserves it, but if it's more substantial criteria..then no...weird choice.

Oct. 05 2010 01:51 PM
Brett from Williamsburg

Donovan and Neil Diamond definitely. Their contributions to rock are enormous. J. Geils, an arguement can be made. But Bon Jovi's soulless dribble? Don't they design baby clothes now?

Oct. 05 2010 01:44 PM
Eric K

An argument can be made for the J. Geils Band. They were a long respected blues-soul act before having 80's pop hits. In fact, they should probably be honored for their surprising flexibility.

But if Bon Jovi gets in, it will signify that the Hall of Fame represents popularity and not impact on the music. What has Bon Jovi contributed to Rock n Roll besides a few catchy hair-band hits that suburbanites sing every Friday and Saturday night at their watering holes as if they hadn't heard them in 20 years?

Oct. 05 2010 10:21 AM