John Lennon's NYC

Thursday, October 07, 2010

In the last decade of his life, John Lennon spent most of his time in New York City. Much of his iconic solo work, including Woman, Mind Games and I'm Losing You, was written at his home on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Filmmaker Michael Epstein joins us to discuss his new documentary, LENNONNYC, and tell us about New York City's impact on Lennon - and Lennon's on the city.

Michael Epstein

penelope from manhattan

mary, cookie, me, and another teen and one more of similar ilk, busted into the Warwick Hotel to see the Beatles. It was reported in the mag section of the Daily News, June 24th 1965. Long story. I was thrilled to watch the documentary, LennonNYC.;Memories...

Nov. 27 2010 10:10 PM
Richard Totoian from nyc

Meeting John part 2. There was a health food restaurant on Madison & 60th. I was dating the owners daughter, so would have lunch there some times. One day I was seated at the horse shoe counter facing the street, and the dinners opposite me. John & Yoko came in and sat down across from me. She smiled I returned the gesture. I noticed that a wealthy older lady, just back from Bloomingdales, was annoyed that this hippie couple had sat down next to her. I was amused. As I got up to pay my bill at the cash register, next to John, he spoke ." You look familiar. Have We Met ?" I was so temped to say" so do you, what line of work are you in?", I chickened out. I said "John even though you have met millions of people, you will remember me when I tell you where we met." YSL. Ron Farber, told you to" shake hands with Rich Totoian." He & Yoko burst into laughter. "Your Georges friend he replied. How is he?" fine I said Just saw" The Life Of Brian," he produced." Tell him hello from us and were looking forward to seeing it." . George was pleased when I forwarded their message as their relationship was not solid at the time but they would work it out later. See Part 1

Oct. 07 2010 04:34 PM
george

I have never met John and Yoko, but I thank them for everything that they have done for all of us.

I wish that I had at least seen them walking around the city; but because of some sad, angry, selfish person, I will never get that opportunity.

Oct. 07 2010 04:09 PM
RICHARD Totoian from nyc.

I met John & Yoko twice. As the national Promo director at A&M Records , I met , toured with & befriended George Harrison1974. We shared many times together. Our A&M office was in the Fuller building at 57th & Madison. My promo partner Ron Farber liked to shop at Yves St. Lauren on Park Ave. They would buzz you in. Store was empty, soon we heard a buzz, short time went by, I heard a voice.. I don't know I look like a fking U Boat Commander in this." I turned to see John looking at himself in the mirror. Yoko said, "no you don't dear you look very nice." I casually , walked over to Ron & whispered "don't make a scene, but John & Yoko are here", and I continued shopping. I heard RICH oh Rich, as I turned Ron had one arm around around John & the other around Yoko.. As I walked toward them Ron said "John shake hands with Rich Totoian ", he 's met Ringo, is friends with George, and now meeting you just need's to Paul to complete the set. We were all in shock but they couldn't be more cordial. I'll save the second meeting for another post which is very amusing.

Oct. 07 2010 03:33 PM
art525 from Park Slope

Another John Lennon memory. I went to the memorial in Central Park. There was a burly looking cop standing to my left. He turned around and I saw he was crying. He seemed to want to talk to someone. He told me that besides giving money for bullet proof vests for the police John had also provided turkeys for the prison population every Thanksgiving.

Oct. 07 2010 02:35 PM
art525 from Park Slope

A friend was on her lunch break and walking down a street in the 50s. She saw a guy coming in the other direction and noticed him because he was dressed eccentrically with a big floppy cap and sunglasses and with a little boy on his shoulders. She was staring and he smiled and she suddenly realized it was John Lennon. He was stopped at the corner and she debated whether to bother him since it was during the period he was laying low at the Dakota but she decided to just go up and thank him for all he had given her. She said that and started to walk away and he asked her what she was doing now. She told him she was on her lunch break and he invited her to the park to join him and Sean. He had a sandwich which he shared with her. He told her about hanging out and baking bread and not really doing anything. SHe kept talking about how important The Beatles were and he was fairly dismissive. He told her "I always thought back then that it would be Jerry and The Pacemakers who would make it. I'm sure there was a measure of false modesty at work. A homeless guy came up and asked for money and he pulled out a wad of money and handed it to him. Her report back to us was the first we had heard about what he was up to. That "wathcing The Wheels" period. I also had a friend who worked as an engineer at The Power Station and he said John was always mooching money from him for the vending machine. He apparently drank Pepsi all the time.

Oct. 07 2010 02:29 PM
art525 from Park Slope

Oct. 07 2010 02:29 PM
Barry

John and Yoko hired us to do some stained glass windows for the Abco records conference room. We met with them at the office where Yoko did most of the talking while John looked through the glass samples. "Yoko - look at this red!" - "OK, lets put some red in it" says Yoko...

Oct. 07 2010 02:22 PM
Candy Schulman

My John Lennon story which was published on mr beller's neighborhood.com, when I met John in Washington Square Park, and he came up to my apartment with a friend when he had broken up with Yoko.

Oct. 07 2010 02:21 PM
szggy from nyc

One evening, must have been early to mid seventies, I was at the Elgin Cinema in Chelsea with a friend to see the film El Topo, and while in the lobby, John & Yoko got out of a cab out front and walked into the mostly empty theatre, sat a few rows ahead of us for the film. It took a while for my friend, already seated while I was in the lobby, to beleive me. They seemed like smaller to me than imagined as giants.

Oct. 07 2010 02:21 PM
Lois Bricklin from Johnson, NY

Many years ago, I was a great fan of a band called Everyone. They were playing a gig at a club in NYC called Home. On the bill was the group Elephant's Memory, which was managed by the same guy who helped book Everyone. While enjoying the music, I glance over tot he bar area. John Lennon was there with a woman, but it was not Yoko. I walked over to him, introduced myself, and told him I was heading to Britain for a two-month backpack trip. He made a comment about fun. Glad I introduced myself to this great guy.

Oct. 07 2010 02:20 PM
Jim S from NY (Of course)

I saw John on the 79nth street crosstown bus(M17)
on the way to school one AM early '70s. I think the Dakota was a lousy place to catch a cab. I was so new to the music, I barely realized what was who was there.

No fuss no muss. NY was a very cool place in those days.

Oct. 07 2010 02:20 PM
Omar from NYC

I never met John Lennon while he was living in the city but being a teenager and big beatles fan I was just amazed that I was walking down the same streets that John Lennon was living in at that very moment.

Oct. 07 2010 02:18 PM
jollyd

I met John and Yoko via George Maciunas and Fluxus at the Avant Guarde exibition at the Armory on 28th st and Lex.
My brother was working as one of their assistants on Bank St. at the time.
That big yellow RR was a blast!

Oct. 07 2010 02:18 PM
Peg Panebianco

I was employed at Tavern On The Green as a waitress. (think it was 80 - John and Yoko came in weekly for lunch and sat in the Crystal Room. I was not lucky/senior enough to ever have them in my assigned station- but I always found a way to go by them say hey,get them bread or pour them water they were very regular warm people,

Oct. 07 2010 02:18 PM
Jim S from NY (Of course)

I saw John on the 79nth street crosstown (M17) bus one morning on the way to school. Early 70's, no big deal. I think the Dakota was a lousy place to catch a cab in that era.
NY was the coolest because it was no fuss, no muss. I was so barely into music at the time I didn't realize.

Oct. 07 2010 02:16 PM
Cornell D. Green from Bronx, NYC

Help!

The audio stream on the 'Net is silent. Is there no hope...??

Oct. 07 2010 02:14 PM
Gio from Brooklyn

My first concert was John Lennon playing a benefit for the Willowbrook facility called the One To One concert in Madison Square Garden in August of 1972.

Oct. 07 2010 02:11 PM