The Devil Makes Three: Charming Punked-Up Bluegrass

Monday, November 25, 2013

The Devil Makes Three performs in the Soundcheck studio. The Devil Makes Three performs in the Soundcheck studio. (Michael Katzif / WNYC)

The last time The Devil Makes Three played in the Soundcheck studio, we described its genre-smashing, punked-up bluegrass as “charming, danceable song.”

And while the band hasn’t lost any of that ramshackle energy and charm, the band's new album, I’m A Stranger Here, finds the music shifting in something of a new direction with lyrics going a little darker. But, you can definitely still dance to these songs, too.

Hear the band perform songs from the new record in the Soundcheck studio.

Set List:

• "Stranger"
  • "Hallelu"
  • "Moment's Rest"

The Devil Makes Three

PF B from Richmond, VA

Your description makes me wonder if you've ever actually heard bluegrass music.

Nov. 23 2013 03:11 PM
Soundcheck producer Joel

Hey Broshark and Dakota: Just posted the audio from this afternoon's session. Click the player above! (It'll air on 11/25, but you can listen now! It's the future! Thanks for listening -- Joel

Nov. 20 2013 04:31 PM

Hey Dakota, It worked for me after I made an account.
It's not future dated, I think, they just messed up on their dates.
Hope they don't celebrate Thanksgiving this week! haha
They only played for about 5 minutes anyways :(

Nov. 20 2013 02:28 PM
Dakota from Louisiana

This is pretty deceptive. I didn't hear anything either, got pissed, then saw that the article is future dated Monday, Nov. 25. Grrrr!!!!

Nov. 20 2013 02:19 PM
Dan from South Carolina

I saw TDM3 three days ago in Virginia and it was the best show of my life. I'm so glad I caught this live radio show as well, because I miss them so much already. In my opinion, they're one of the greatest bands in existence.

Nov. 20 2013 02:15 PM