Hurray For The Riff Raff: Rootsy Songs With A Vibrant Voice

Watch a stripped-down version of the New Orleans band play song from its forthcoming album, 'Small Town Heroes.'

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Hurray For The Riff Raff performs in the Soundcheck studio. Hurray For The Riff Raff performs in the Soundcheck studio. (Michael Katzif / WNYC)

New Orleans' Hurray For The Riff Raff is the band of Alynda Lee Segarra -- a singer-songwriter with a powerful voice that channels the raw bluesy side of country and folk music. Segurra is originally from the Bronx, but after leaving home at 17 and traveling the country aboard freight trains, she eventually settled on New Orleans. It was there she became entrenched in the vibrant music scene, first playing washboard in a group called Dead Man’s Street Orchestra, and later forming Hurray For The Riff Raff as a vehicle for her lean and explosive punk-infused folk songs.

Following its fantastic 2012 album Look Out Mama, Hurray For The Riff Raff put out a Kickstarter-funded recording of covers and originals, My Dearest Darkest Neighbor, and toured heavily, including a performance at the Newport Folk Festival in 2013. The band is now poised to release another album in February, called Small Town Heroes

Watch a stripped-down version of Hurray For The Riff Raff -- featuring Segarra and Yosi Perlstein on fiddle -- as they preview new songs from the band's forthcoming record in the Soundhcheck studio.

This segment originally aired on Jan. 13, 2014.

For more photos, visit Soundcheck's Tumblr page.

Set List:

• "Blue Ridge Mountain"
  • "Small Town Heroes"
  • "The Body Electric"

Hurray for the Riff Raff

Lovely. Chan Marshall with a country twang.

Jan. 14 2014 07:51 PM
Michael

NYCTaper --

Did not mean to offend - and I am aware of how you operate. And I appreciate all that you (and your associates) do. Sorry I was not more clear. I suppose "Bootleg" may have a negative connotation.
BTW - your Panda Bear at Gov. Island was fantastic!

Thanks!

Jan. 10 2014 11:14 AM
nyctaper

Thanks for putting the link up there, Michael. But PLEASE don't call it a "bootleg". The NYCTaper recording of HFTRR was completely authorized by the band, as have all the times I have recorded their sets. I was invited to capture the show, in fact. The band actually offered copies of my recordings to fans on the tour.

Jan. 10 2014 02:21 AM
Michael from NYC.

^^NYC Taper boot link.

Jan. 09 2014 03:11 PM
Michael from NYC.

Looking forward to the Lincoln Center show.

But if you guys are looking for a live looksie, check out the NYC Taper bootleg of the Knitting Factory show.

And to relay Charles's testimony - be sure to support these artists if you enjoy their tales.

Jan. 09 2014 03:11 PM
snafu from Barrie, Ontario

I totally agree with Charles Lewis, I was at that same show and HFTRR, blew me way. Incredibly good band. I got turned onto then with their album "Look Out Mama" best album 2012 IMHO!

Jan. 08 2014 08:35 PM
Charles Lewis from Toronto, Ontario

I found these guy early in 2013. Couldn't believe how good they are. Then I was fortunate enough to see them at the Horseshoe in Toronto. I was with two friends and we were speechless when we left. They are so good on CD but nothing compared to live. Take a look online for a Youtube video of them doing "What's Wrong With Me" from the South by Southwest Music festival. If you're new to them, get the album Look Out Mama, it's their latest. There's also a great live album you can download on iTunes. No stealing! They're a young band and when you steal music you take them money out of their hands.

Jan. 08 2014 03:16 PM
Quico from Bronx

WOW! What an amazing young lady with velvety/creamy/cafe au lait voice. Her story seems to take me along the Andrew Jackson, Backwoods Trails and opens up a narrative that, coming from the North East, is foreign to me yet rich/alive/vibrant. Makes me want to pack my bags and ride the freight trains down to the Battle of New Orleans. Alynda sings/songs stories of everyday life that we often don't want to know about yet realize of their importance in the nature of moving on to a resolution of the beautiful Americana zigzag age of truths/conflicts/and ambitious determinations. HURRAY FOR THE RIFF RAFF will be my band forever can you see! As for Alynda Lee Segarra, I'm in LOVE!

Jan. 08 2014 02:37 PM