Idina Menzel Of 'Frozen' And 'If/Then' Performs Live

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Idina Menzel performs selections from 'If/Then' in the Soundcheck studio. Idina Menzel performs selections from 'If/Then' in the Soundcheck studio. (Michael Katzif / WNYC)

For updates on Soundcheck's upcoming guests and in studio performances, follow us on Twitter at @Soundcheck and Like us on Facebook.

Within in the theater community, Idina Menzel has been known and celebrated for years. Beginning with her role as Maureen in Rent, and later for originating the role of Elphaba in the Broadway musical Wicked -- for which she won the Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical -- Menzel has demonstrated her powerful, stirring voice in countless beloved stage productions, as well as on TV shows (Glee) and in films (Enchanted).

But it wasn't until last year, with her turn as the voice of Elsa the Snow Queen in the 2013 Disney film Frozen, that the New York actress and singer achieved international stardom. Built on the strength of the ubiquitous empowering hit "Let It Go," which reached No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, Frozen not only became the highest-grossing animated film of all time, but made Menzel a household name. (Well, that and John Travolta's bizarre "Adele Dazeem" name flub at this year's Academy Awards.)

Now, she's back on Broadway with her current show, If/Then. Written by composer Tom Kitt and librettist Brian Yorkey, the musical centers around Menzel's character Elizabeth, a new divorcee who at age 38 returns to New York after 12 years in Phoenix to start over again. But in a twist, the story showcases not one but two versions of Menzel's Elizabeth ("Liz" and "Beth") in two possible timelines based on the choices she makes: "Beth" becomes a successful city planner but her love life is a disaster; "Liz" never manages to develop a rewarding career, but finds love, marries and has two kids.

In a conversation with Soundcheck host John Schaefer, Menzel talks about her dual role in If/Then, and performs selections from the production with accompaniment from composer Tom Kitt in the Soundcheck studio.

Idina Menzel performs with 'If/Then' composer Tom Kitt in the Soundcheck studio. (Photo credit: Michael Katzif/WNYC)

Set List:

• "You Learn To Live Without"
  • "Some Other Me"

This segment originally aired on July 24, 2014.

Idina Menzel

Jackie from New Jersey

This segment was amazing. The voices were perfect together! Congrats.

Aug. 05 2014 09:38 PM
Christy from San Antonio, TX

Two weeks ago, my daughter Nicole and I made our first trip together to New York City. We saw five amazing shows, with If/Then as the capstone show for our trip. It was absolutely amazing. If we could go back to New York tomorrow we would see If/Then again. It was that good! Idina was absolutely fabulous and I can say that about the rest of the cast as well. I'm telling everyone I know thru every venue that I can to go see this show!! Thank you for a truly memorable experience.

Aug. 01 2014 06:12 PM
Zoe from watchung,nj

Listening and watching was such a treat. Their performances, insights and overall talent brought tears to my eyes. Such a great segment!!

Jul. 30 2014 07:33 PM
Nia Luchau from Selma CA

This is the best birthday ever!!!! I'm literally crying❤️

Jul. 24 2014 04:43 PM

Is it over?! I didn't hear a sign off either.

Jul. 24 2014 02:37 PM
Anon from NY

Not working :(

Jul. 24 2014 02:34 PM
Ryan

It has been an amazing show so far, on the radio, is it over though? I didn't here a sign off yet I can longer here anything.

Jul. 24 2014 02:31 PM
Sergio

I cannot hear anything anymore :( did it finished? I was in the middle of the here I go song.

Jul. 24 2014 02:25 PM
S Reed from Suwanee, GA

Got to make two trips to New York this year to see both If/then and the Radio City show. If/then is a brilliant musical that is highly underrated by the critics. Idina and the rest of the cast give emotional, beautiful performances. The radio city show was a dream come true. I have two kids (9 & 11) who both listen to various songs from if/then and it has opened up some wonderful discussions about life and choices. It is a must see and hear for any theater fan.

Jul. 24 2014 02:23 PM
Heba from Egypt

i just wanna say that i love you Idina, you inspire me every single day... i hope you can see this...

Jul. 24 2014 02:12 PM
Pammy from New York

This Long Island girl has been a fan of yours since you played Maureen in Rent! You are so talented and I look forward to seeing you in If Then! I am so happy for you and your success!

Jul. 24 2014 02:12 PM

Wish I could get it to play, but I can't on any device. :(

Jul. 24 2014 02:00 PM
Anna from Marshfield, MA

Hi! I saw If/Then last month and it was the greatest show i have ever seen!!! It was so amazing to see my idol, Idina, in person!! I've been a fan since Rent!! Thank you Idina for doing what you do!!!

Jul. 24 2014 01:55 PM
Jamie from Crofton, Maryland

Saw Idina at Radio City last month and saw her in If/Then two days later on my first trip to New York. The show is absolutely amazing and I love hearing Idina speak about it.

Jul. 24 2014 01:53 PM