What's The Most Relaxing Song Ever? Help Us Make A Playlist

Friday, April 18, 2014 - 09:00 AM

What kind of music would be relaxing enough to put him to sleep? Three Dog Night? Dr. Dog? Dogbreth? What kind of music would be relaxing enough to put him to sleep? Three Dog Night? Dr. Dog? Dogbreth? (Shutterstock)

For the next few weeks, WNYC is undertaking a station-wide crowdsourcing experiment called Clock Your Sleep. This "Sleep Project" hopes to collect data on how people sleep, asking listeners to track their own sleep -- using the WNYC app, a Jawbone or Fitbit, or with an online journal -- and see how it compares to everyone else's.

And all this talk about sleep, has gotten us, well, sleepy. But also, it's made us curious about the kinds of music that people use to relax to and maybe even play to fall asleep. Is there genre of music, a song, an album, an artist that's tailor-made for playing when you want zone out or kick back or fall asleep?

So, we thought we'd ask our Soundcheck listeners to make suggestions. What's your "Most Relaxing Song Ever"?

Tell us your song below in the comments, tweet us @Soundcheck, or leave us a voicemail at 866-939-1612 and help us build the Most Relaxing Playlist

To get you started, Soundcheck has recently been asking guests and musicians about their picks. Here's a few below:

Casey Dienel, of White Hinterland:

"I was gonna say some Hildegard of Bingen because I think choral music is really soothing, but then I was realizing that my true answer would probably be Bobby McFerrin... 'Blackbird, something like that... I think it's called Circlesongs. I think that record is amazing, he's a really big inspiration for me, I mean things that he can do without a loop pedal are just incredible."

R. Crumb, underground comix icon and performer with East River String Band:

"I have a really nice version of 'Sophisticated Lady' by a really early group that sounds like early muzak, called the Studio Quartet, from 1933. You'll never find it."

Neil Finn, singer-songwriter of Crowded House:

"Satie is the best one of all, I should be employing that recently because sleep's been a bit tricky, the hours have been odd, but yeah Erik Satie is a beautiful thing to go to sleep to, just very very quietly in the background. I actually have it on a little playlist. There's a few other things too, but that one, that works a treat. Extremely simple piano pieces that are just deeply moody, and you know they're a little bit melancholy but they're just very restful. And in a city like New York particularly where there's so much energy flowing around. He was deeply inspiring to people like Brian Eno. You've gotta make your own beauty in the privacy of your own home in order to escape the crazy energy out there."

Kristeen Young:

"Well I love Brahms, and sometimes Brahms can be very -- not the typical lullaby or whatever, maybe that's not even good to go to sleep by, because it's very dramatic. His songs are so beautiful, I love Madchenlied, in particular."

Tags:

More in:

Peter Gordon from San Diego

Brian Eno: "Ambient 1: Music for Airports"
Tom Johnson: "An Hour for Piano"

May. 28 2014 06:12 PM
Shannon from Ottawa, Ontario

Moonchild By Cibo MAtto is really nice and peaceful! Mellow

May. 09 2014 11:53 PM
alice nanes from New York City

Home (When Shadows Fall), sung by The Beale Street Boys or by Sam Cooke

Apr. 30 2014 01:55 PM
EDJ/MSP

Caution-not for a late night road trip

Thelonious Monk "Ruby My Dear"
Billie Holiday "Solitude"
James Brown "It's Magic"
Fleetwood Mac "Safe Harbor"
Van Morrison "Have I Told You Lately"
Dr. John "Candy"
Charles Brown "All My Life"
Laura Nyro "Embraceable You"
Bud Shank "Never Never Land"
Tierney Sutton "Only the LOnely"

Apr. 29 2014 07:48 PM
Kaliis from Easthampton, MA

hydropathy by MIHO
Everybody here wants you - Jeff Buckley
Inherent Song - Lullaby for the Working Class

Apr. 29 2014 10:29 AM
Richard O'Donnell from Detroit, Michigan

"Meditation" from the opera "Thais" by Jules Massenet. When listening to this masterpiece, visualize yourself floating along on the violinist's bow on a journey to tranquility...

Apr. 29 2014 10:06 AM
cindy bressler from westchester, new york

Listening to "Bedtime Beats" every night helps the body and mind transition from daytime to bedtime. It's the ideal bedtime ritual. The music series was inspired by a Case Western Reserve University study which found that listening to classical or soft jazz music with a 60 to 80 beat-per-minute tempo helps you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. http://www.bedtimenetwork.com/music

Apr. 29 2014 08:59 AM
TerryO

Has to be Satie or 'Spring Scenery in South of Yangtze River' on erhu -- along with a lot of South China music as long as it's played in traditional manner and not electronically 'enhanced'.

Apr. 28 2014 08:04 PM

"Au Clair De La Lune", Sinatra's "My One and Only Love", any quiet real jazz like Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Abbey Lincoln, Diana Krall et al., Bach, Samuel Barber... they imbue peace.

Apr. 27 2014 05:29 PM

El Hadra by Klaus Wiese

Apr. 26 2014 08:07 AM
Chris

Keep Shelly In Athens- Our Own Dream.
Memoryhouse- To The Lighthouse off of "The Years" Lp.

Apr. 25 2014 10:47 PM
Dawn from New York City

Chris Isaac, I wanna fall in love
Erykah Badu, Orange Moon

Apr. 25 2014 10:47 PM
Jo from lower Manhattan

almost any solo piano, Chopin, Beethoven, Art Tatum, Bill Evans ...Solo guitar, Segovia for example & Julian Bream lute music all relax me & induce sleep, some Renaissance choral music will also do the trick.

Apr. 25 2014 09:33 PM
Dave from BKLYN

"Trio" by King Crimson (from Starless and Bible Black). Yes, that was King Crimson...

Apr. 25 2014 01:22 PM
Peter Knutson from Crown Heights

I vote for "The Big Ship" by Brian Eno.

Apr. 25 2014 11:41 AM
Jgedge

Emmanuel from Branford Marsalis' album. The most mellow and relaxing ever!!

Apr. 25 2014 07:57 AM
Ellen Burnett

Mood
by Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

Apr. 24 2014 10:00 PM
David from Maplewood, NJ

Love by John Lennon makes all my cares melt away

Apr. 24 2014 09:38 PM

river flows in you by Yiruma it always seems to work for me and my nephew!

Apr. 24 2014 06:45 PM
Beverly from NYC

The Casket Girls' "Sleepwalking". Dreamy!

Apr. 24 2014 04:07 PM
Carol Lipsky from Floral Park, NY

Brett Dennen's "Desert Sunrise". A lovely love song that calms the listener.

Apr. 24 2014 03:45 PM
ailyet

I'm only sleeping

used to sing it to my son @ bedtime (also "you've really got a hold o me").

of course now he plays drums in a hardcore band.

hey, how 'bout "moonlight mile" ?

Apr. 24 2014 03:33 PM
Toby from Central Valley, NY

"Born To Fly" by Beca is my favorite...baeblemusic says it "washes over you like a warm wave of salty sea water!" Yes -- it does!

Apr. 24 2014 03:31 PM
Maude from Park Slope

I want to sleep when i hear "teardrop" by Massive Attack, also the soundtrack for High Art by Shudder to Think.

Apr. 24 2014 03:03 PM
Crystal from Jersey City

Without a doubt, the top contender for "most relaxing song" would have to be Drowndeep: Hula by Maxwell http://t.co/oyjk0JxpKP

Apr. 24 2014 02:29 PM
Rich

Air on G string is all you need.

Apr. 24 2014 01:04 PM
Lindajwink from Staten Island, NY

"Waterfall" by Electric Light Orchestra, and "Keep It Warm" by Flo and Eddie are two relaxing favorites of mine.

Apr. 24 2014 11:34 AM

Don't forget "Virginia Moon" by the Foo Fighters, especially the duet with Norah Jones.
Not all their songs are head bangers. This one is lovely and relaxes you right away.
Their "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" is similarly peaceful and could be used as a lullaby.

Apr. 24 2014 10:47 AM
Larry Baskind

"You Know Me Better Than I Know Myself", Cult With No Name
"Margaret McKinnon of Digg", Phil Cunningham
and a lot of Mannheim Steamroller

I have learned that what is "relaxing" for one may be painfully wistful for another. I like wist.

Apr. 24 2014 08:23 AM

Goldberg Variations. Familiar and perfect, but I ususally fll asleepmto podcasts.

Apr. 24 2014 06:27 AM
Hilary from greenpoint, bklyn

Hugo Largo's "Hot Day."
One of the most relaxing and relaxed-sounding songs I know.

Apr. 24 2014 12:31 AM
Ann from Westchester

ALBUMS:

Singing Bowls of Shangri-La by Thea Surasu
In the Key of Healing by Steven Halpern (anything by Halpern)
Dream by Kitaro

Apr. 24 2014 12:31 AM
Dick M from Royal Oak, MI

"The Girl from Ipanema" version by Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz

Another candidate would be the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"/"It's a Wonderful World" medley by Israel Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'Ole

Apr. 23 2014 11:33 PM
Jose Luis from Ridgewood, Queens

Antonio Carlos Jobim, "Insensatez"

Apr. 23 2014 10:47 PM
Alan Kalish from Flemington, NJ

I offer up "Sleepwalk" by Santo and Johnny, one of the top songs (instrumental) from 1959.

Apr. 23 2014 10:22 PM
Dekyi from Queens

I think "Everloving" by Moby as well as "L'essentiel" and "Tunis" by the French band Holden are a few appropriate tracks.

Apr. 23 2014 09:49 PM
Janet from Westchester

John Williams's Cavatina (It's more relaxing if you haven't seen the Deerhunter)

Apr. 23 2014 09:45 PM
Amanda from Detroit

How to Disappear Completely by Radiohead

Apr. 23 2014 09:33 PM
Hilary from greenpoint, bklyn

Hugo Largo's "Hot Day" is one of the most relaxing and relaxed songs I can think of.

Apr. 23 2014 09:31 PM
Ryan from Cincinnati

Let's see...

James Taylor- "Sweet Baby James"
Andreas Vollenweider- "Sunday", from "Behind the Gardens"
The Sundays- "Folk Song" from Static and Silence
The Grateful Dead "Ship of Fools" from Grateful Dead from the Mars Hotel
just about anything from Nick Drake's Pink Moon
Paul Simon- "Hearts and Bones"
Michael Hedges "spare change" from Aerial Boundaries
Phish "Bliss" from Billy Breathes
Stan Getz "Morning Star"

Apr. 23 2014 09:17 PM
Kelly from Brooklyn

Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1 (I think this may have been used for an ad a few years ago (for a sleeping pill).)
It's very soothing - kind of lulls one into rest.

Apr. 23 2014 08:33 PM
Phyllis from Brooklyn

How could I ever have forgotten Daniel Hecht's Afternoon?

Absolutely one of the most calming and lovely pieces of music ever written....

Apr. 23 2014 05:52 PM

Anything by Enya

Apr. 23 2014 05:14 PM
Cathy from Hoboken, NJ

Grateful Dead: TOUCH OF GRAY. Couldn't be more soothing or relaxing!

Apr. 23 2014 04:55 PM
Pat G from New Jersey

"Walking in the Air", an ethereal song written by Howard Blake for the 1982 animated film of Raymond Briggs' 1978 children's book The Snowman. In the film, the song was performed by St Paul's Cathedral choirboy Peter Auty. His pre-pubescent vocals make you feel as if you are indeed floating in the air....

Apr. 23 2014 04:18 PM
SteveD from NYC

So much with which to agree: Satie, indeed. But also:

The entirety of Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert
Almost any of Ken Nordine's "Word Jazz" recordings
"Alexandra Leaving" by Leonard Cohen
Robert Hunter performing "Box of Rain"
and, thanks to the influence of my daughters, John Carlin's "Not Alone."

A nice glass of melancholy, anyone?

Apr. 23 2014 01:47 PM
Matt Scruby from Chicago

Cowboy Junkies, most of Trinity Sessions

Apr. 23 2014 01:36 PM
Steve V from Toronto, Canada

Songs:
"Moonbeam Song" by Nilsson
"A Pillow of Winds" by Pink Floyd
"Serenading Genius" by Happy Rhodes

Instrumentals:
Debussy's "Claire de lune" (Lydia Kavina's rendition on theremin is particularly relaxing)
"Extended Shadows" by Legion of Green Men
"Thursday Afternoon" by Brian Eno (to name just one of his many ambient pieces that could be cited)

I could go on! Great topic.

Apr. 23 2014 12:11 PM
Hugo Escobar from Mexico City

Beethoven "Moonlight" Sonata Adagio is the right one for me to relax. Satie and Chopin can have a nice effect too.

Apr. 23 2014 11:49 AM
kramden from NYC

"Albatross" by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Apr. 23 2014 10:31 AM
Claudine from New York, NY

My votes would be for "Goodnight" by the Beatles or anything from "The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid" by Stars of the Lid.

Apr. 23 2014 10:01 AM
Sarah from Brooklyn

What was the song that was played at the beginning of when this show aired on Monday night? Or where I can I see a list of the songs/clips that were played during the show.

Bon Iver calms my nerves on flights.

Apr. 23 2014 09:37 AM
Tracy Kahley from Hell

The album "Autumn" by George Winston is lovely, especially "Colors / Dance" and "Too Much Between Us". My 9-year old daughter often requests it to sleep.

Apr. 23 2014 09:06 AM
frances

I love to lay down and listen to original soundtrack from "The King's Speech" when I want to relax.

Apr. 23 2014 08:42 AM
briansnat from Kinnelon NJ

Days by Television. That riff sends me into another world.Just plain dreamy

Apr. 23 2014 12:34 AM
briansnat from NJ

"Days" by Television. That guitar riff sends me to dreamland

Apr. 23 2014 12:26 AM
Mindy from Brooklyn

Absent utter exhaustion, to drift into sleep one has to feel safe.
As a kid: the original Broadway cast of "South Pacific" (I have no explanation)
Today: the voice of Sam Cooke (needs no explanation)

Apr. 22 2014 11:30 PM
Suzie from NYC

Oops, forgot Songbird by Eva Cassidy

Apr. 22 2014 11:18 PM
Suzie from NYC

To Sheila by Smashing Pumpkins
Sweet Euphoria by Chris Cornell
Motherland by Natalie Merchant

Apr. 22 2014 11:13 PM
Loretta from San Diego

Eric Whitacre's 'The Seal Lullaby.' And from pop, Neil Young's 'Harvest Moon.'

Apr. 22 2014 11:04 PM
Melinda from Richmond, VA

Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy

Apr. 22 2014 10:54 PM
ann thurlow from New Jersey

"Golden Lady," by Stevie Wonder; "For The Love of You," by the Isley Brothers; "My Baby Just Cares For Me," by Nina Simone.

Apr. 22 2014 10:48 PM
Laura from Ottawa, ON

Bach the Sarabande from the fourth Cello Suite in E-flat Major. In my favorite key!

Apr. 22 2014 10:38 PM
Eve from Rockaway Park

Freedom Flight by Shuggie Otis

Apr. 22 2014 10:28 PM
Steve

Cocteau Twins - The album Victorialand, especially "Lazy Calm"
The Cure - "Untitled"
Nick Drake - Pretty much everything, maybe "Northern Sky" most of all
Brain Eno - "Julie With..."
Eurythmics - "This City Never Sleeps"
Fleetwood Mac - Most of the Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks songs on Tusk, particularly "Sara" and "Never Make Me Cry"
Peter Gabriel - "Mercy Street"
Rickie Lee Jones - "We Belong Together"
Kings of Convenience - Pretty much everything
Lush - "Sunbathing"
The Penguin Cafe Orchestra - "Now Nothing"
Pink Floyd - "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun," "Echoes," "Grantchester Meadow"
R.E.M. - "Perfect Circle," "Wendell Gee"
The Roches - "Hammond Song"
The Rolling Stones - "Heaven" from Tattoo You (which remarkably enough sounds kind of like Cocteau Twins)
Roxy Music - Avalon, especially the title track
Paul Simon - The Rhythm of the Saints - Title track and "The Coast"
The Sinatra/Jobim album, the most relaxed singing ever - "The Girl from Ipanema"
David Sylvian - "Orpheus," "Maria"
This Mortal Coil - "Song to the Siren" and the whole Filigree & Shadow album
Traffic - "The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys"
The Who - "Sunrise"
Neil Young - "Expecting to Fly," "Sugar Mountain," "Hanging on a Limb," "You and Me"

Apr. 22 2014 10:10 PM
Janet Miller from NYC

Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon and Garfunkel

Apr. 22 2014 10:08 PM
Sandy Coulter from New York

No doubt that most classical or baroque classical music is very soothing as a genre, but the song "Dream" by Dean Martin or most any other version from the great American Song Book stands on its own as the most relaxing, soothing song ever.

Apr. 22 2014 09:58 PM
Jamie from Detroit, MI

boy 1904 by Jonsi & Alex

Apr. 22 2014 09:48 PM
Oliver from Queens

"No Ke Ano Ahiahi" by Medeski, Martin & Wood (from the album Combustication)

Apr. 22 2014 09:41 PM
Nick from Long Island City

Was surprised no-one had suggested anything from the legendary Selected Ambient Works 2 by Aphex Twin. When this came out my friends and I would break into our college's art center, put this on their shiny new sound system, and just chill our. The winner for relaxing is definitely the one called "Rhubarb."

Apr. 22 2014 09:41 PM
e david johnson from MSP

If I Could Pat Metheney
Missing You David Sanborn
Elegy For Dunkirk Jeff Beck
You Better Go Now Red Garland
Tiger Bones Joni Mitchell
Stella By Starlight Miles Davis
Blue Lou Donald Fagen
The Whale ELO
Goodnight California kathleen Edwards

Apr. 22 2014 09:40 PM
John Indalecio

Natalie Merchant's "Where I Go." O, child it's lovely
Let the river take it all away
The mad pace and the hurry
The troubles and the worries
Just let the river take them all away
Flow away

Ahhhh- a mini vacation

Apr. 22 2014 09:17 PM
Michael Ward from Rye

Ave Verum by Karl Jenkins and Here I Am by Burt Bachrach, sung by Dionne Warwick, which plays as Ursula Andress parachutes down into Peter O'Toole's convertible in the movie What's New Pussycat.

Apr. 22 2014 09:13 PM
Alyson from Brooklyn

Leo Kottke's version of "Twilight Time.". In one minute and fifty-one seconds, my breathing goes from stressed to calm, and I fall gently into my own twilight time...

Apr. 22 2014 09:08 PM

I like several suggested, but one I haven't seen yet is Bachata En Fukuoka by Juan Luis Guerra. I will freely admit I don't actually understand all of the lyrics, but it's a beautiful, relaxing, somewhat wistful-sounding song all the same.

Apr. 22 2014 09:02 PM
Anna Schwartz from New York

"Fur Alina" by Arvo Part

Apr. 22 2014 08:36 PM
Nicole

"Mississippi" by Train on their Drops of Jupiter CD

Apr. 22 2014 08:32 PM

Cousteau, The Last Good Day Of The Year
King Crimson, Walking on Air
Chet Baker, How High the Moon
Pink Martini, Hang on Little Tomato

Apr. 22 2014 08:31 PM
Jqmes from Brooklyn

Most of the Eno ambient records, Thursday Afternoon, Lux, and Neroli in particular, as they are the most minimal. Though the track "An Arc of Doves" from The Plateau of Mirror (Eno and Harold Budd) is pretty scrumptious.
For something with lyrics, I'd say "Do You Know How to Waltz" by Low. This song is like a musical dose of codeine. Yum.

Apr. 22 2014 08:29 PM
Susan from Midwood Bklyn

Feel Flows by the Beach Boys
Dust by Fleetwood Mac
I Only Have Eyes for You by The Flamingos
Been So Long by The Pastels
Moonlight Sonata
I Went to Sleep by the Beach Boys
All I Wanna Do by the Beach Boys (Sunflower) Not to be confused with All I Want To Do which is on 20/20
Warmth of the Sun by the Beach Boys
Don't Talk Put Your Head on My Shoulder by the Beach Boys
Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny
Three Preludes - C sharp minor George Gershwin

Apr. 22 2014 08:28 PM
Joan Scholvin from NYC

Clair de Lune, for sure. But also "Love Song" (not Your Song) from Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. Beach Boys Don't Worry Baby", "The Warmth of the Sun", later on - "Surf's Up" album/song. Oh, and the entire album by Keith Jarrett "The Melody At Night, With You.

Apr. 22 2014 08:24 PM

The notes and orchestration of peaceful movements within classical works give me rest for some reason, I do not understand. Perhaps it's the age thing. Peaceful compilations of passagess from Bach, Parchelbel, Gluck, Vivaldi, Mosart,Beethovan, Chopin, and so many others help me relax into sleep.

Apr. 22 2014 07:55 PM
Phyllis from Brooklyn

Willie Nelson's version of Stardust...

I also have an album called Four Centuries of Chant...and I can feel the stress evaporating...

Apr. 22 2014 07:32 PM
JVM from Mamaroneck

Brian Eno Ambient 1: Music for Airports

Apr. 22 2014 07:21 PM
susan from NJ

Harry Niilson's "Lullabye of Broadway".

Apr. 22 2014 07:06 PM
Karen from Vancouver, BC

Any Gregorian chant, Vivaldi's Four Seasons

Apr. 22 2014 07:03 PM
Matt from NJ

When it comes to relaxing and easy listening, it doesn't get more chhiillll than Stars of The Lid. Whether it's to help you sleep, take it down a couple of notches, or come back to earth from an intense mushroom trip, their minimalist ambient will do the trick. Awww yiss.

Apr. 22 2014 06:58 PM
Uli Reischel

Weightless by Marconi Union

Apr. 22 2014 06:55 PM
shelly

Ijahman is another awesome and relaxing artist: www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77D7H3U330

Apr. 22 2014 06:49 PM
Anna S from westchester

Moonlight Mile Rolling Stones over and over and over

Apr. 22 2014 06:47 PM
Jeannie from Massapequa, NY

"Sailing" by Christopher Cross
"After Glow" by NXS

Apr. 22 2014 06:43 PM
Peggy from Port Washington,NY

"Harvest Moon" Neil Young
"Moonlight in Vermont" Ella Fitzgerald version
Adagio of Piano "Sonata Pathetique" Ludwig von Beethovan
"Rainbow Connection" from Sesame St.

Also love the Vivaldi Guitar Concerto in D

Apr. 22 2014 06:38 PM
Jewel from Nyc

In The Upper Room by Phillip Glass

Apr. 22 2014 06:33 PM
Reina from Brooklyn, NY

Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in F major BWV 1048
The theme music to many days spent in the library sleeping.

Apr. 22 2014 06:33 PM
Brent Gottesman from NYC

Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

Apr. 22 2014 06:21 PM

Electric Light Orchestra "Strange Magic" what can I say I was born on Halloween

Apr. 22 2014 06:18 PM
Dan Marrin from Brooklyn, NY

I always seem to go cosmic when I listen to Aine Minogue's version of "Across the Universe" but that's Celtic harp with an angelic soprano voice, not really pop music. It's meant to be new agey. The other song I think of is the Postal Service "Such Great Heights." That one seems perfect for lovemaking, sleeping, holding your baby, eating great food, whatever is the best most sublime thing one could do.

Apr. 22 2014 06:18 PM
Kris

I think any of the songs from Mazzy Star's 1996 album "Among my Swan" would be a great choice. It's not their best record, but it's a good one, and it's sooo dreamy that it's almost stupefying.

Apr. 22 2014 06:09 PM
Hazel R. Feldman from Manhattan

I love the harmonies created by The Everly Brothers' (especially "Devoted to You," as well as The Mama & Papas rendition of "My Heart Stood Still." Another relaxing and wonderful song for me is Paul Simon's "Father & Daughter."

Apr. 22 2014 06:06 PM
-Steven-> from Huntington

Facsimile Ballet by Leonard Bernstein
Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland

Apr. 22 2014 06:05 PM
Dbrand

Late Night Alumni - Moonwalking
Joe Satriani - Home
Henry Mancini - Lujon

Apr. 22 2014 05:59 PM
rc from Brooklyn

Satie, seconded. In addition to the piano version, the guitar version of "Gymnopedie No. 1" referenced on All Things Considered a few years back is one of my favorites:

Also, "Twins" by Gem Club.

Apr. 22 2014 05:57 PM
Sara Crocker

Pachelbel - Canon in D

Apr. 22 2014 05:53 PM
Gabrielle R. Shatan

Music for Airports by Brian Eno (entire album) Lux by Eno is also good!
Alina by Arvo Part (entire album)
The 3 Gymnopedies and 6 Gnossiennes by Erik Satie
Classical music can be kind of tricky due to dynamic changes that occur in one piece therefore I created a playlist called Quiet Satie which only contains pieces that remain soothing throughout.

Apr. 22 2014 05:52 PM

Debussy's Claire De Lune
I remember it from the movie Frankie and Johnny with Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer. Beautiful.

Apr. 22 2014 05:48 PM
Elaine from Huntington, NY

Dean Martin's rendition of Brahms' Lullaby is both soothing and relaxing. Listening to it when I'm stressed out immediately calms me.

Apr. 22 2014 05:47 PM
Chris from Bkln

Stoned Soul Picnic! Laura Niro wrote the song, the Fifth Dimension is still the best recording.

Apr. 22 2014 05:44 PM
Joe from NYC

Sailing by Christopher Cross
Moonlight in Vermont - Nat King Cole
I Remember You - Tony Bennett
Every Time We Say Goodbye - Diana Krall

Apr. 22 2014 05:36 PM
Charlotte from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star. As soon as I hear those first few guitar strums, I feel my body just melt away. Her voice in the recording feels like it's whispering to all my muscles: "it's okay....." and it just makes me want to close my eyes and lay down on a bed of clouds....

Apr. 22 2014 05:34 PM
Jamie

Any song from Echoes From Ancient Caves by Daniel (J D) Emmanuel. Jdemmanuel.bandcamp.com/album/echoes-from-ancient-caves.

Apr. 22 2014 05:31 PM
Michael Sears from Sea Cliff, NY

Brian Eno's Ambient 1/Music for Airports is guaranteed to lower my blood pressure. Number one choice. Though I once slept eight hours on an overnight flight to Tokyo with Boz Scaggs on the headphones.

Apr. 22 2014 05:27 PM
shelly

Love the music of:
Snatam Kaur
Craig Pruess
Krishna Das
Miles Davis
John Coltrain

Apr. 22 2014 05:21 PM
Flavia from Conn

Agree with "Cucurrucucu Paloma," by Caetano Veloso.

"Sweet Lullaby" by Deep Forest.

Apr. 22 2014 05:18 PM
Stacie

James Taylor's "Up On the Roof" is like musical Valium to me.

Apr. 22 2014 05:17 PM
steve from stormville,ny

any stan getz samba especially "the girl from ipanema".

Apr. 22 2014 05:17 PM
Bonnie from Wilton, CT

Keith Jarrett solos for piano -- sit back and have a glass of wine

Apr. 22 2014 05:17 PM

"Wonderful Tonight" Eric Clapton

Apr. 22 2014 05:13 PM
dianna

norah jones

Apr. 22 2014 05:12 PM
Aldona Rygelis from Williamsburg, Brooklyn

When I need deep relaxation, I play RAGA ABERI, with Shankar, Lakshminarayana.
Also, Barogue Lute or Guitar music.

Apr. 22 2014 05:09 PM
Daniel Bianco from Ambien, NY

Sailing (Christopher Cross); Lionel Richie's "Easy" doesn't make the cut because it has just a little too much soul in it plus it's a sneakily composed break-up song.

Apr. 22 2014 05:06 PM
Lois from NYC

I have always comeback to Chet Baker when I think of listening to songs that are relaxing. As a matter of fact I just bought a classic Chet Baker " My Funny Valentine" on iTunes this week. A silky, soothing voice for the ages!

Apr. 22 2014 04:59 PM

Jonathan goldman's "De-stress - Peaceful Journey"

Apr. 22 2014 04:59 PM
Martha Constable and Bruce McGuirk from Westport, CT

Mozart's Clarinet Quintet in A for Clarinet and Strings, preferably the version played by Benny Goodman at Tanglewood in 1956. All's right with the world!

Apr. 22 2014 04:56 PM
Motownmom from Morristown

"New Jersey" Will Stratton

Apr. 22 2014 04:55 PM
Scrapple from the Apple from NJ

4'33" by Cage.....just kidding.

Here's an old one that popped in my head...."I'm not in love" 10cc.

Apr. 22 2014 04:55 PM
Mary from Manhattan

There are so many, but lately I've been listening to "Cucurrucucu Paloma," sung by Caetano Veloso. Also love Brahms lieder and motets, almost anything sung by Judy Garland, and many, many more.

Apr. 22 2014 04:52 PM
David

Kenny G’s “Songbird.” A true masterpiece.

Apr. 22 2014 04:52 PM
Peter Homans from Manhattan

For me, the most relaxing song is "Moon River." I think there is an official Henry Mancini version, perhaps sung by Andy Williams?

Apr. 22 2014 04:51 PM
susanna from NYC

Ludovico Einaudi for the most relaxing piano pieces, The Xx for more contemporary relaxing music.

Apr. 22 2014 04:50 PM
perry serpa from NYC

There's a lot of "too cool for school" BS going on in the comments above, and of course, I agree with (and love) most of that music, but the winner, hands down, is Christopher Cross' "Sailing." To me, it's akin to watching golf on television on a Sunday afternoon after a big meal. Nothing cool about it, but it does the trick. It is the Ambien of songs. And it knows it.

Apr. 22 2014 04:49 PM
Robin-Anne Terano from Nesconset, Ny

Any song off of Ray Lynch's album "Deep Breakfast" i used to bring the cassette with me whenever I went for a massage so the therapist could play it during my treatment.

Apr. 22 2014 04:48 PM
Matt Wagner from NYC

Beautiful Day by Mozes feat. Henry Binns (from Zero 7): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6J_iF6iPs&feature=kp.

Apr. 22 2014 04:47 PM
Fred

"Stephanie Says," Velvet Underground. Countless string quartets or chamber ensemble compositions, especially Haydn, using movements indicated Andante, Largo, Lento, etc.

Apr. 22 2014 04:40 PM
Shawn from Manhattan

Speak to me (Breathe) by Pink Floyd

Apr. 22 2014 04:38 PM
KJ

Jimi Hendrix's "Pali Gap" from the Rainbow Bridge album.

Apr. 22 2014 04:33 PM
Elizabeth from New York, NY

Morcheeba: "The Sea" & Kurt Vile "Baby's Arms" always does the trick for me.

Apr. 22 2014 04:33 PM
miss k from New York

Ketil Bjornstad "Gothic"

Apr. 22 2014 04:23 PM

Brian Eno's Music for Airports or Discreet Music

And the one that my husband doesn't understand: Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians.

Apr. 22 2014 09:15 AM
Leslie Raynor from Glen Head

The Gymnopédies by Erik Satie were very soothing to me during a difficult few months. I used to listen to them every night to fall asleeep.

Apr. 22 2014 07:31 AM
susanna

Sun explodes by the hank dogs

Apr. 21 2014 10:46 PM

Abdullah Ibrahim (then known as Dollar Brand): either "Soweto" http://youtu.be/HhACPRwzIOo or "Cape Town Fringe" http://youtu.be/FXfWLrLwW_4 both with the wonderful bassist the late Sipho Gumede . . . timeless recordings, long out of print.

Apr. 21 2014 10:14 PM
Dians from NJ

Pat Metheny's CD "One Quiet Night" has been my go-to music. Apparently I like it so much that a few months ago I discovered I owned copies. Gifted 1 to a friend for her shop in Brooklyn (part of that "city that never sleeps". I keep the 3rd copy in my car to calm me down in heavy traffic patterns.:)

Apr. 21 2014 10:07 PM
Charlie from NJ

Check out the Charlie Haden / Kenny Barron album "Night and the City." What better for NYC relaxation?

Apr. 21 2014 10:00 PM
RayGun Sharpadero from Cold Spring, NY

"Song for Jesse" Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

Apr. 21 2014 09:44 PM
James

Any ambient/drone material works for me. Stars of the Lid's last two studio albums in particular will send you down the river of consciousness in total bliss.

Apr. 21 2014 09:35 PM

Flower Soundtrack from Playstation

Apr. 21 2014 03:17 PM

Riders on the Storm by the Doors

Apr. 21 2014 12:06 PM

Debussy: Clair de Lune
Satie: Gymnopedie
Ebb Tide
Bach: Air for the G String
Grieg: Morning
Silent Night

Apr. 21 2014 10:24 AM
Steve

Harold Budd Harold Budd Harold Budd (and did I mention Harold Budd?)

Laurie Anderson speaking (Blue Lagoon, O Superman, White Lily, The End of the World, etc.)

Apr. 20 2014 10:14 AM
Liza

Will Ackerman's Guitar Meditations. Beautiful music that lulls me to sleep every night.

Apr. 20 2014 09:58 AM
ursula farrell from Great Neck, Long Island

Beethoven: piano concerto #5 in E flat, Op. 73, "Emperor"
This works for me every time.

Apr. 20 2014 09:52 AM
MillyDear

"Follow" by Richie Havens

Apr. 19 2014 09:35 PM
Alex from CA

Heaven's Gonna Burn Your Eyes by Thievery Corporation or anything by Stars of the Lid.

Apr. 19 2014 01:38 PM
Christiane Manzella from New York City

Spiegel im Spiegel fur violine und klavier (1978) Arvo Pärti. This is exquisitely relaxing to hear (and play if you happen to be a violinist)

Apr. 19 2014 08:29 AM
Paul from Ohio

"Perfect Day" by Harry Nilsson.

Apr. 18 2014 10:24 PM
Janis from Connecticut

Calling All Angels by the Wailin' Jennys or The Air That I Breathe by KD Lang

Apr. 18 2014 09:05 PM
Melina from NJ

"By Your Side", Sade

"Soothsayer", "For Mom", "Electric Tears", "Watching the Boats with my Dad" and several others, Buckethead

"Rylynn" and "For My Father", Any McKee

"Static", No Clear Mind

"Boy With a Coin", Iron & Wine

"Special Death", Mirah

"Take Me Somewhere Nice" and "May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door", Mogwai

Apr. 18 2014 06:51 PM

"Music to Disappear In II" by Raphael, the entire disk is super relaxing but the first song, "River Seeks the Deep" is especially serene and calming. I'm going to listen to it tonight!

Apr. 18 2014 06:36 PM
Chris from San Diego

"03:45: No Sleep" by the Cardigans really puts me in a state of pure relaxation. Nina Persson's lullaby-like voice and the sparse, warm arrangement acts like a salve to relieve all of the problems of the world. It's lovely.

Apr. 18 2014 06:05 PM
Erik from Hackettstown, NJ

"Don't Answer Me" by Alan Parsons Project
"No Need to Argue" by The Cranberries
"Vuoi Vuoi Me" by Mari Boine

Apr. 18 2014 05:22 PM
rickbrunernyc from Crown Heights

"By This River" by Brian Eno, or "Spider and I" from the same album, "Before and After Science."

Apr. 18 2014 04:54 PM
Thomas from queens, ny

The Clash - Rebel Waltz

Apr. 18 2014 04:09 PM
kathy

Paul Horn "Inside" or Brian Eno "Ambient 4-On Land".

Apr. 18 2014 03:59 PM

J. S. Bach's "Goldberg Variations" were written for an insomniac -- need I say more? They're beautiful. Second best -- Handel's "Water Music."

Apr. 18 2014 03:59 PM

I listen to Miles Davis when I want to sleep. When traveling, I put my noise canceling headphones on with some Miles and I'm out@

Apr. 18 2014 03:44 PM
Tom

"Ripple" by the Grateful Dead.

Apr. 18 2014 03:44 PM

"Lights Out" a nightly radio program on KINK-FM in Portland, Ore., put out some compilation CDs to benefit local charities. Lights Out III is my favorite go-to sleep music:

Apr. 18 2014 03:39 PM
Margaret Cuskley from Fresh Meadows, NY

The Humming Chorus from Madame Butterfly (Puccini).

Apr. 18 2014 03:27 PM
Jessica

Any other Name by Thomas Newman!! Such an amazing and relaxing song.

Apr. 18 2014 03:24 PM
stephanie

"county line" by cass mccombs. my go-to trying-to-fall-asleep-on-an-airplane song.

Apr. 18 2014 03:12 PM
Barb from Queens, NY

I agree with Kevin from NYC - Vivaldi's Guitar Concerto in D (Largo) always brings me peace. Also the memories of the Sesame Street segment from the 70's (I don't have a clue what it's called) where the music is playing over the visuals of rain drops hitting puddles and such. Somehow, that was a defining moment for me in my life, and every time I hear it, I close my eyes and remember.

Apr. 18 2014 03:12 PM
JORJ from Chelsea

I love "Corrina, Corrina" by Bob Dylan, and also "Beast of Burden" by the Rolling Stones. Listening to both I have a feeling of wellbeing wash over me.

Apr. 18 2014 02:52 PM
Kakapo from New York City

"Head Full of Shit" by Spacemen 3 is incredibly relaxing in a somewhat noisy way.

Apr. 18 2014 02:45 PM
bryan

also, sorry one more. talk talk's "new grass" (side b of laughing stock), which i guess is more hypnotic that relaxing, but, you know, similar effect.

Apr. 18 2014 01:44 PM
Cala from HIghland Park, NJ

Anything from Jose Gonzalez, especially off Veneer.

Apr. 18 2014 01:14 PM
fred from brooklyn

Anima, Milton Nascimento

Apr. 18 2014 12:59 PM

"July" by BOY http://open.spotify.com/track/7GeoxaRtonJ2iCSGEq64dR

Apr. 18 2014 12:44 PM
Brian from Midland Park, NJ

'Tezeta' by Mulatu Astatke

Repetitious and transient with a beautiful use of the pentatonic scale.

Apr. 18 2014 12:27 PM
Horatio

Hands down: "Poinciana" by jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal

Apr. 18 2014 12:10 PM
Kevin from NYC

As for classical, Vivaldi's Guitar Concerto in D (Largo) does the trick.

Apr. 18 2014 11:35 AM
Kevin from NYC

"The Songs of Leonard Cohen" (or any of his early work) provides a very tranquil, calming atmosphere (in the best way possible, of course).

Apr. 18 2014 11:25 AM
bryan

"an ending (ascent)" by brian eno is the correct answer.

also any of luc ferrari's presque rien!

Apr. 18 2014 10:34 AM