Yoko Ono At 80: Dancing Through Life

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Yoko Ono (Courtesy of the artist)

Yoko Ono almost needs no introduction. The 80-year-old artist, activist and musician recently told a reporter for The Australian that “art is breathing” -- and she has been breathing, and making art for more than half a century. Among her recent projects is a new album with the Plastic Ono Band called Take Me To The Land Of Hell. Her son, Sean Lennon, produced the album, and it features guest appearances from Lenny Kravitz, Yuka Honda, Questlove, and more.

Interview Highlights

Yoko Ono on her son Sean Lennon discovering the Beatles music:

John and I decided that we [were] not going to influence him with our songs or our careers. So he didn't know about John being a Beatle. So one day he came back, he was about four or five, somebody told him. [Sean said], "Daddy, are you a Beatle?" So John says, "Well, I uh, was."

On working with Sean on Take Me To The Land Of Hell:

I gotta give it to my son. He's kind of like, "Mom, do you think you can write another song here?" And I just write it, while we were doing things in the studio. So many songs are like that. It just inspires me because he says it. I made him into the music director of my work. I didn't know whether that was a good idea or not. Many people said, "Don't work with your son! That's the worst thing you can do!" So they said that and that's why I [went] the opposite.

On the song "Bad Dancer":

Whenever there's a song, dance music, my body starts to dance. I can't help it! I'm just very much into dance. Even when I was four years old, you see it in a film that my mother and father made. I'm a little girl who is just dancing all the time. I think dancing is a very healthy way of going through life -- instead of marching. I'm a bad dancer! But I love it.

Yoko Ono

georgi

Sean--the reason I wanted to see you was to show you what is now seen by all and ascertain that this is what is happening. A matter of time--someone used a paring knife at sniderman's--namely melody. I do not have the address for Apple Studio and do not have a way to see your atty. if he cannot find me. Too much of this living trust has been hidden and squandered such as houses around "8" (w).
luck and happiness in your marriage. You married a beauty queen. Gjones

Aug. 13 2014 12:46 PM
Georgi Jones

Yoko-
LIfe on the road isn't all that hellish for the most part but the homes are not happy. SOmeone allowed a corp. shark to take the key and the strange metallic tastes of such has acted as an apertif. Oh tghe drooling and slobbering of these mafia dweebs. I intend to have my way and i shall request a new brush tree for outside of 441-I'll just bill the city council.
Thank you Yoko. Do you really feel that Adam and his son Maximus will make it fine in Seoul? I do, if they can just get out of DUsseldorf.
Love,
The Kitchen Witch
NYC

Aug. 13 2014 12:40 PM
georgi

No luck at 441 and 337 w 43 st, Yoko. The abc crew moved in after Ashley pulled one over as todd's baby, and then didnt have a claim. Next we have thugs from union and abc. I was threatened and someone has been looting the premises after the painting and then rug (persian) by the black man.
Suggest you tounce sharon osborne's dad if you can find him for trying to keep me out and of course, then comes his fat old cronies wanting the sex of pretend casey anthony girls. they are staying to the left of 441. I am disgusted and out of energy.

Be cool. Stay safe.

Georgia lynn jones jones_georgi@yahoo.com

yes, the 1500 masterpiece left to me is a disaster and falling bomb in the near future if someone can really control the squatters and I think that the nyc inspector can do just that! The studio is in perfect condition and the zumbolt crpwd is trying to stall me for the rents and can not. boko harem may have something to do with this.

Jul. 22 2014 12:04 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

missing marked bread is found here and there and no one can pass it off.

Oct. 01 2013 12:46 PM
georgia lynn, DR from manhattan new york

typos gift and funeral.
ps my kids are anxious to move hee. they are in springfield, mo. Adam Mobley and HannahLYNN Tilley. They have never seen Galena house. The plane is still on the priate strip and evidence suggests that the ono band submitted togas at that address with no warning and I was unable to travel to that house at the beautiful address SEVILLE Now there is comment. No one can touch it is still there. Cannot find the old three spires.
Yes, I am homeless but not entirely broke and not too hungry for food.
Georgia Lynn Jones
the old rolls needs a cellanoid according tolegend.

Oct. 01 2013 12:43 PM
georgia lynn jones from manhattan new york

no email.
I am living and dancing all the way to the road to hell, Yoko. Sean, I think of you all of the time and worry about the funeeal vases for sale on fifth. were they in the #11 east 62 house? I am anxious to move and be a real human again. Let's talk.
The occuption of my 1500 times sq. abc bldg is by police and the un could not gioft me as police brutality rumors abound! I havent been to the msytery studio and I am lonely.
Dr Georgia Lynn JOnes (georgi)

Oct. 01 2013 12:39 PM